Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:31:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXIII: "Love"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXIII: "Love"  (Read 7550 times)
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »

Ok, this is my entry.

"Carnaval de l'Amour"

somnia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

And here's mine: A Reckless Dance of Two.

Lihwem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »

Hey ! Here's my entry : A tragedy occured

I choose to work on the "dark side of love", about those huge emotions created by love and their destruction when a love tragedy occurs... hence the title of the tune. :-)

It was also an opporunity for me to try something orchestral, since I don't have much experiment with this type of music.

Those contests are definitly a great idea ! I'm already waiting for the next one !
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:54:54 AM by Lihwem » Logged

Freelance Sound Designer - Composer - SFX creator // I'm french so please excuse my broken baguet... I mean, english
http://wilfriednass.com
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »

Mono: I really like the the feel of your track, it makes me happy and surely puts me in a happy carnival-like place, two people hand in hand walking around the park. Great job.

Somnia: I'm in a village, at night, with moonlight lighting up the streets wandering through various alleys, I like the mysterious feel it gives and can certainly put myself in a 'loving' feel.

Lihwem: Well thought out and a different approach to what I think many of us had in mind for the 'love' theme, but I like how you've thought outside the box! The change at 1:18 really brings the darkness through.

Here's my entry:
Cosmic Embrace

Imagine, if you will, a setting of deep space with planets and galaxies bright and bold all around you. You have finally found your long lost lover after countless days of searching.

So yeah, this track was composed with the vision of an ending to a game where the protagonist has finally saved his long lost lover, the setting is deep space and the video game style I had in mind was a 2D/overhead view adventure.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »

Love this!

Is there a TIGS soundcloud group or should we make one?

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

Mono, I've never thought to look, but after searching I quickly came across this: https://soundcloud.com/groups/tigsource-soundcloud-group

it doesn't look super active but it's definitely not dead.
somnia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:44 AM »

Somnia: I'm in a village, at night, with moonlight lighting up the streets wandering through various alleys, I like the mysterious feel it gives and can certainly put myself in a 'loving' feel.

Thanks, man. Your piece, in addition to being a wonderful work, makes me think of Ayreon and FTL soundtrack both at the same time. You like them?

P.S. Seems like my entry has managed to acquire about a thousand listens, and the last time I got anything close to that was when I was featured on the SoundCloud blog. So should I be worried? I mean, I'm proud of my work, but it's a little unexpected to get a thousand listens for this tbh.

elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

Sometimes you catch love like it's a virus, it threatens to shut you down, and all you can do is hope you don't crash.

(Or maybe it was just a BIT of a CRUSH! Bwahhahahhaaa! I slay me!)

....But, seriously.

This song breaks my heart.

https://soundcloud.com/elizabitcrusher/im-just-a-computer

I'll log in soon to give feedback to everyone.

Cheers!
-E
Muuurgh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »

Crusher: You're a mad woman.   Hand Any KeyCrazy Hand Money Right

ilyoung
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »

Wow, so many varied styles for the entries. Love it!

Here's another style to add to the list. Sometimes, nothing displays the emotion of love like some good ol' fashion rock.

https://soundcloud.com/illyb/the-embrace

royaltmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

There's some good competition here!

My approach: I played with the idea of melodies representing characters in the story. In the case of a love theme, there's two distinct melodies with each character's melody being a complement to the other.

https://soundcloud.com/royalteague/unfold-tigforums-music

Thanks!

royalteaguemusic.com
mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »

Great work everybody!  TONs of awesome entries this time.

We are approaching the deadline.  Does it look like anybody needs an extension on this one?

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

I'm ready for the next one, end already! Smiley

Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »

I still need to finish mine, should have it done tomorrow though all being well!  Some really great entries here!  Smiley

Muuurgh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »

I'm working on finishing mine... probably will be pushing the deadline. Sorry, Mono! Beer!

elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

Hello, everyone!!!
I have left comments on all of your soundcloud pages, plus here is some more detailed feedback—I'm pretty sure I missed some submissions, so please let me know! I'm sorting through everything in one fell-swoop, so I'm trying to go through 'em post by post.
Cheers, y'all! There's some AMAZING variety here. PS: apologies for typos. I broke my finger yesterday.

Moritz:
Your piece is short and sweet and full of awesome ideas... which definitely could be more developed. There's enough material here for a whole score.
I love the initial sound when the potential love theme comes in, although the theme doesn't seem to develop or return. I do question the use of high trumpets, which sound wonderful and real, but also sound militaristic and like film noir, when I thought the piece was going to be more game-y, with that first midi clarinet sound and that charming toy-piano-like sound that I thought would be for the theme.

MA-Simon:
Incredible playing and luscious piano chords. You must have some stellar jazz chops, my man.
Not sure what the theme is (like a leitmotif), but the mood is perfectly set, especially with the title setting the stage.
I love the tinkling toy sound that comes in. It's the perfect blend of strange and other-worldly and beautiful.

KeepItSimple
I don't really know how to react to this one. It sort of creeps me out. The chords are so out there and unsettled. Not much more to say, I apologize.

Moromis
This reminds me of the glorious beauty of Proteus. It's very ethereal and ambient and rather than tell a story, it seems to encompass an intimate emotion. Like being on the beach and looking at your person like he or she is the only thing in the universe of importance to you.

Royaltmusic
Love the intro with piano on strings. Such a classic, nostalgic sound. Reminds me of memorable film scores. Theres a fantastic groundwork here that, by the end, I was expecting to launch into some super arching, ambitious love theme- the love theme to end all love themes. So much potential!

ilyoung
Whoa. Starts off all sexy and gentle and delicate, reminds me of Fez and nostalgic game sounds. Then it EXPLODES. I can't tell (and I like it) if it's about a breakup or that the love is so huge it threatens to consume you. The wailing guitar solo is totally bad-ass, though it's not my preferred style, so I might not be the best judge of it, but the chords are perfect for a tortured sort of love.

CaseMortman
I think this one is pretty perfect for this competition. Really nails it. I'd totally remember this theme if I'd heard it in a game.

Somnia:
Has an old-country sort of feel, especially with the accordion and guitar chords. Not sure it suggests love to me so much as it sounds like intermediary music in a point and click adventure (like Monkey Island—pretty much my favorite game, ps). The structure is really well done, which I really appreciate. It's very complete.
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »

I went for a Lights/Owl City kind of vibe on my track.  I really wanted to put lyrics on this one, but I just couldn't think of anything  Cry

But anyway, here's my entry.  Think of it as a digital daydream about a special someone  Smiley

Excuse Me, Princess

elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »

Steparnicus/Hartisan
I think you really summed it up well when you called this a "digital daydream." It has a very floating feeling, like a secret world in an old Nintendo game. I could imagine it with lyrics but that would take a lot more work and an entirely new melody. I think what you did best here was layer the sounds. There's a wonderful synth pad in the background,  the little bubbles of sound float above it and the sparse drums carry it all.
This entry feels, to me, like one of the more complete songs that I'd expected from this thread.
Cheers!
elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »

Lihwem, thanks for the heads up! So sorry I missed your entry!
Some thoughts:
First off, glad you addressed that love can be tricky. I concur. You know. Speaking from experience, whom whomp.....
I think you were going for a high cello sound, which I totally get, orchestrally, though I don't think it sounds very real here—and that's a production thing, not a composition comment.
The song does successfully capture a bittersweet feeling. The melody is very long and sustained and I think that, with further development, and maybe a bit more counterpoint supporting it, it could really soar out above everything and move listeners. I'm thinking the sort of long melody and strong counterpoint/heavy chords underneath that are in Adagio for Strings by Barber or Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings (can't remember which movement, though...).
Anyhow, really really promising. If you want my "professional opinion" (from when I was a music professor), pm me.
Cheers!
Lihwem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »

Lihwem, thanks for the heads up! So sorry I missed your entry!
Some thoughts:
First off, glad you addressed that love can be tricky. I concur. You know. Speaking from experience, whom whomp.....
I think you were going for a high cello sound, which I totally get, orchestrally, though I don't think it sounds very real here—and that's a production thing, not a composition comment.
The song does successfully capture a bittersweet feeling. The melody is very long and sustained and I think that, with further development, and maybe a bit more counterpoint supporting it, it could really soar out above everything and move listeners. I'm thinking the sort of long melody and strong counterpoint/heavy chords underneath that are in Adagio for Strings by Barber or Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings (can't remember which movement, though...).
Anyhow, really really promising. If you want my "professional opinion" (from when I was a music professor), pm me.
Cheers!

Thanks for your review ! As I said, this was more or less the first time I composed something orchestral, so I've got a long road to run through !

... and I think that PM for a professional opinion just wrote and sent itself ! :D

Freelance Sound Designer - Composer - SFX creator // I'm french so please excuse my broken baguet... I mean, english
http://wilfriednass.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic