Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:10:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEastward Quest
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Print
Author Topic: Eastward Quest  (Read 57999 times)
tanner bananer
Level 1

aspiring train conductor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »

Show the name and not the preview (for locked levels). Also, cool game.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »

Thanks!

Main menu attempt.

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »

Awesome updates AD, I seriously envy your productiveness on this!
Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

I think this game would be amazing for iOS or Android. Meaning, it would definetely be cool to play this with swipe mechanics in portrait mode. Good work!

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

The logo looks strange being in a higher resolution.
I also think you should make the letters thicker in width.

It has a really good feel and look to it though.
You made everything so juicy with buttons falling down, everything not appearing at once, small things that makes the game feel and look better.
I really think you should add a mouse over version for buttons though, so they light up or change in size.

Roman numerals for the levels could be nice too.
Although not as user-friendly.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments, guys.

This is what I had in mind for menu juice.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »

Recap of last week's progress.

siskavard
« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »

do you sleep
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »

do you sleep

I also work as a teacher, study a master's in history and spend time with my gf. And still I have a lot of free time. Go figure.

You have a point, though - I'm about to go sleep (in the middle of the afternoon) because I'm quite tired.

Yakyb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »

very impressed with the progress, saw this in LD and it reminded me a little of http://www.squidi.net/three/c_tinycrawl.php

love how you have made the Quests,

also if you wanted to be evil it would be incredibly easy to import micro transactions into it
Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »

This is one of my favourite in progress games on the forums right now. Should've subscribed a long time ago!

This has (hopefully) probably been asked before, but any thoughts on taking it to mobile? The game definitely suits a keyboard/ controller better but I think it'd have legs. When I saw the "purchase upgrades" screen I actually thought it was an in-game app purchase screen!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »

very impressed with the progress, saw this in LD and it reminded me a little of http://www.squidi.net/three/c_tinycrawl.php

love how you have made the Quests,

also if you wanted to be evil it would be incredibly easy to import micro transactions into it

Thanks. I don't think it's that simple that micro transactions would work with this game. More on this below.

This is one of my favourite in progress games on the forums right now. Should've subscribed a long time ago!

This has (hopefully) probably been asked before, but any thoughts on taking it to mobile? The game definitely suits a keyboard/ controller better but I think it'd have legs. When I saw the "purchase upgrades" screen I actually thought it was an in-game app purchase screen!

Thanks and yes, a mobile port is likely. But to expand on the previous comment, micro transactions aren't that simple to pull off. I have listened to a very good GDC talk on them and some important aspects of it are: appealing to the player's emotions (vanity, impatience, social dominance) and designing the game around them. I think that while this game may look cute, it's not designed with this in mind.

I could try to put them in just to see what happens, but when some people look at this game they see a cash cow that just isn't there.

siskavard
« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

Thanks for that GDC link.

..and ya, I'd love to play this on my phone!
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »

There are a few reasons why progress has slowed down.

First, I've been a bit busy the last couple of days. I don't know when it will get better, maybe tomorrow.

Secondly, I'm a bit burned out. Good thing the game is almost done! I'm not looking forward to what I have left to do: enemy animations and adding sounds/music. The animations are honestly boring to do and I don't have a particular interest in sounds, plus they make compiling take very long and it gets annoying to test the game.

Thirdly, I'm afraid to finish. I fear that the game isn't very good and that I've wasted a lot of time on it. There is obviously some value to the game, but it's not on the level I'd hoped and I fear I'll disappoint people.

Just a rant. Progress will continue soon.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

There are a few reasons why progress has slowed down.

First, I've been a bit busy the last couple of days. I don't know when it will get better, maybe tomorrow.

Secondly, I'm a bit burned out. Good thing the game is almost done! I'm not looking forward to what I have left to do: enemy animations and adding sounds/music. The animations are honestly boring to do and I don't have a particular interest in sounds, plus they make compiling take very long and it gets annoying to test the game.

Thirdly, I'm afraid to finish. I fear that the game isn't very good and that I've wasted a lot of time on it. There is obviously some value to the game, but it's not on the level I'd hoped and I fear I'll disappoint people.

Don't worry , we'll always be here to help you , and if the game fails , then you'll be atleast able to set it to freeware , so I could enjoy all the time you wasted

Just rant . waiting for progress
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »

Yeh the first few weeks or even months are the best. I started moonman about 20 months ago, and each day now is a bit of a slog .. But still, don't give up, the concept is great and simple, don't try to make bigger than it is. Release an eastward quest 1, and if people like it then build on it to release a fuller sequel..

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

Thanks guys.

Backgrounds for options menu. Still don't know which one I'll use.

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »

The scroll looks nicer, I think. If nothing else for the colors, because gray is boring.
Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »

I've never known how to respond to burnout. I was lucky at university in that by the end of the term I'd have a good 12 weeks of holiday to look forward to!

I think the key is not to let the lack of time spent on the game get you down (if you do put it on the backburner for a while), knowing you'll be fresher for it when you come back.

That said, like an engine, starting it up (again) is the hardest part - I found this with my own game.

I think also we'd all be a lot more disappointed if we didn't get to play the game at all than if it wasn't quite what we were expecting. See it through  Smiley

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »

Thanks.

Decided to go for something more simple for the pause menu.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic