Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:54:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookA Terrible Trip [WORKING TITLE]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Terrible Trip [WORKING TITLE]  (Read 3727 times)
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »

Last update: 10/20/2008 3:05 AM Central
A TERRIBLE TRIP

Quote from: Main Idea
150 Visit to someone in wild and remote house—ride from station through the night—into the haunted hills—house by forest or water—terrible things live there.

Quote from: Sub Ideas
5 Narrator walks along unfamiliar country road,—comes to strange region of the unreal.

15 Bridge and slimy black waters. [Fungi—The Canal]

35 Special beings with special senses from remote universes. Advent of an external universe to view.

50 Phleg′-e-thon—

a river of liquid fire in Hades.

55 Man followed by invisible thing.

105 Vampire visits man in ancestral abode—is his own father.

115 Ancient castle within sound of weird waterfall—sound ceases for a time under strange conditions.

135 Hideous world superimposed on visible world—gate through—power guides narrator to ancient and forbidden book with directions for access.

145 Horrible boarding house—closed door never opened.

155 Steepled town seen from afar at sunset—does not light up at night. Sail has been seen putting out to sea. [Fungi]

165 Terrible trip to an ancient and forgotten tomb.

175 Little green Celtic figures dug up in an ancient Irish bog.

185 Scene of an urban horror—Sous le Cap or Champlain Sts.—Quebec—rugged cliff-face—moss, mildew, dampness—houses half-burrowing into cliff.

195 Pane of peculiar-looking glass from a ruined monastery reputed to have harboured devil-worship set up in modern house at edge of wild country. Landscape looks vaguely and unplaceably wrong through it. It has some unknown time-distorting quality, and comes from a primal, lost civilisation. Finally, hideous things in other world seen through it.

205 Person gazes out window and finds city and world dark and dead (or oddly changed) outside.

215 Man with lost memory in strange, imperfectly comprehended environment. Fears to regain memory—a glimpse. . . .

I think the main idea on its own can do itself justice- you already have three levels to work with in its description alone! Train, Hill, then House. I almost have to wonder if Resident Evil 0 was based on this, somewhat.

Unless otherwise stated, I'm flying solo on this. At the very least, the plot is already broiling in the head, I'm just speedily trying to learn SDL through Lazy Foo' Tutorials. I'm pleased to say that it may be going better than I expected.

I've written the basic idea 7 screens so far, but I haven't started writing the code. Part of me wants to jump the gun and start making mistakes already before I get discouraged all on my own. I would not mind someone helping me with backgrounds/coding, since there's some things that I think are WAY out of my league that I'm going to try.

Sadly, I shake my head at myself when I realize that it's stuff that sounds so simple on paper- "How to make clouds move in the sky, and keep their locations when you shift from one 'screen' to the next", stuff like that. I'm also wondering if I should just make a HUGE screen and scroll it as the player walks... Hmm.

Sounds like it would slow down the game, though. Oh well, I guess I'll get to that when I get to it.

Did a little spriting. Only a little, though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:06:22 AM by ElTipejoLoco » Logged

Currently brainstorming for a project
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »

Preview of Brainstorming:
Quote from: //150 - Train, Hill, House
Screen 4 = Staircase to Town viewing Cliff
//185 (Old, damp, mildey covered houses built next to waterfall)
//Press up to look at the screen
"It's the old town. There was an incident, and now the houses are barely jutting out of the cliffside."
//215 (Amnesia sign 1)
//Only add this line of narration once, make a switch for it and set it to 1:
"Why am I still living up there, again?"
//Go right, into town

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:05:12 AM »

Main guy. Opinions?

Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:26:08 AM »

Sounds like a cool idea.
Also your main character looks awesome  Grin But what's he doing in the last pose?

Hmm, I might try making something for this competition... sure hope nobody has taken vampire dog...
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:54:48 AM »

Sounds like a cool idea.
Also your main character looks awesome  Grin But what's he doing in the last pose?

His huge genitalia?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:38:37 AM »

Will this be Silent Hill'ish?

This compo needs something Silent Hill'ish. BADLY.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:16 AM »

Well, it's supposed to be a rusty pipe, but perhaps I went overboard with the rust.

Fighting will probably be reminiscent of Silent Hill-ish (once I get to it). Also, I plan to have multiple endings. Also, there's amnesia involved ('lo, James and Heather!), and pipes will be available as weapons.

All in all, the game is supposed to stay true to its namesake, and be a terrible trip. When you reach your destination, however, the actual game (i.e.- the possibility of dying/losing) should begin.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic