Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:49:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame Design Subreddit
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Game Design Subreddit  (Read 3406 times)
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »

TIL even TigSource has armchair game designers? Nothing is holy!

Honestly, I just read a great interview with Jenova Chen thanks to r/gamedesign. I like that it exists, it means game design is being talked about in more places, and I really want to see that trend continue. (Also: tips on more places for dedicated video game design conversation or knowledge?)

My suggestion: go to r/gamedesign/top/?t=all instead
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »

Not trying to be argumentative, but I honestly wonder what percentage of each (TIG design readers, redditors) have actually made at least one game.  This may be completely unfair to one side [and if so, I apologize in advance!] but I'd always seen both populations as pretty equivalent, honestly.  I mean, they're both internet forums with no requirement for entry, populated by people who are really interested in, and want to talk about a particular subject.  There's no real reason to go to either unless you make games, or want to.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=33555.0

ya, according to that poll about 80% of active tigs users have finished at least one game, which i'd bet is higher than the average user of r/gamedesign

and there are a lot of people on tigs who have never finished a game either, but even so, most of those who haven't finished a game have at least *started* on a game and work on a game, whereas i'd guesss that most on that subreddit never even attempted to make a game

as i see it, outside of niche forums like this which are composed of people actually doing creative stuff, the vast majority of gaming forums are composed of people who are not doing stuff, but just talking about it

there are also forums (mostly secret ones) that have an even higher ratio than tigs does because they tend to be invite-only. for example, the eo forums, while they were active, were composed exclusively of people who had finished a well-received game maker game, and i met plenty of great people there and had lots of great discussions there. unfortunately those types of forums tend to die out over time because of the nature of the invite-only system, so tigs is about as good as you can get in terms of an open forum for real game developers

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic