Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:21:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsI Am The Bomb (devlog)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: I Am The Bomb (devlog)  (Read 9772 times)
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »

I get the concept now, and it looks great. Only suggestion is on the explosion, have the bright fluff expand out and fade away.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »

Thanks Smiley
Regarding the explosion - It already does, only very quickly. I'll try making it expand and fade a little slower, so it's actually visible at 20 fps (that's how much the GIFs have)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:27:02 PM by Netsu » Logged

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »

Added a neat little blinking light when the countdown is below 5 seconds and tweaked the explosion some more.

I also added some placeholder sounds (some of which are extremely goofy) so maybe I'll post a playable demo for feedback soon.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »

I spent most of a day working on this new gory death animation and now I'm not even sure if I like it better than the old one.

siskavard
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:20 AM »

I spent most of a day working on this new gory death animation and now I'm not even sure if I like it better than the old one.

I'd say just speed it up twice as fast, it feels a bit sluggish to me.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »

why no green goo ?

Aren't they supposed to have green blood  Corny Laugh
shs
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »

I like your explosions. Can you share how you made them, or at least what tool you used?
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »

The new death animation looks really nice, i was just expecting someting green, like Whiteclaws said, but i don't know, its already great!
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:35 AM »

I made the animation quicker and changed the color, now I don't know if I like it better than the bloody one :D

I like your explosions. Can you share how you made them, or at least what tool you used?

I already linked the tutorial a few posts back:
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Make_a_Particle_Explosion_Effect
I followed the instructions, then added smoke and tweaked everything until I liked it. I use Unity which has a particle system already in place but writing a simple one isn't that hard, I've done it for my previous game Smiley

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »

Here we go !
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »

Did some important work on the physics, movement feels much better now.
Also the game now has two levels, an easy one and a hard one:

The easy level gives you 15 seconds to live at the start and each pickup increases the timer by 7 seconds. The hard one gives you 10 seconds and additional 5 for each pickup.

In addition to this, each level now ramps up in difficulty as you play by mixing in tougher enemies. Speaking of which:

This new enemy starts appearing after 15 seconds of play, rarely at first and more often later. It moves twice as fast and can withstand twice as much damage as the basic enemy.

Expect a new playable build soon Smiley

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »

Added a third enemy type and spent a day reworking the AI. Works much better now and is less reliant on level structure.
No GIF this time but I made this short video showing the last 30 seconds of play on the medium difficulty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14LzJoM7_8&feature=youtu.be

Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »

This looks like it might become a pretty cool minimalist game.

Some thoughts (maybe useful, maybe not useful):

The first thing I'd want to do is use exploding myself offensively. I know 'Splosion man did that, but it's soooo good.

If not that, could the enemies, when they die, set off chains of explosions? Particularly the big spikey guys feel like they need some differentiating, maybe that'd be something they could do?

Closing up the enemy spawners by shooting them, or exploding them, so hold back enemies for a while, until more enemy spawners spawn.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »

the game feels nice right now , but it needs a bit of variation , an incentive to play more ...

Maybe a combo count that counts your kills ( Captain obvious , to the rescue! ) that levels you up , giving you the opportunity to upgrade some stats , speed , attack and such ... A la Slayin'

Or a standard weapon change as super crate box did ...

It's your choice ... but keep it fresh !
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »

The first thing I'd want to do is use exploding myself offensively. I know 'Splosion man did that, but it's soooo good.

You can more or less do that, when you explode after the timer runs out you kill enemies that are near, but well... it kills you Wink
My other thread (in feedback section) also had a request for a smaller explosion that you would trigger manually, so I think I'll do that in some form.
Maybe you could trigger smaller explosions that don't kill you but decrease your timer each time?

If not that, could the enemies, when they die, set off chains of explosions? Particularly the big spikey guys feel like they need some differentiating, maybe that'd be something they could do?

Oh man, I love this one Grin It would add an element of positioning enemies before killing them to take out more of them.

Closing up the enemy spawners by shooting them, or exploding them, so hold back enemies for a while, until more enemy spawners spawn.

I think interaction with the spawners might make the game unnecessarily complicated, I prefer to keep them static Smiley

the game feels nice right now , but it needs a bit of variation , an incentive to play more ...

There will be more weapons, that's what I'm working on now Smiley Later I'll probably add various power-ups, similar to how Crimsonland did it.

If you haven't noticed there is also a playable version in the feedback section:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=33421.0

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:31 AM »

New weapons time!

Machinegun:

Pistol:

Nagelkarabiner:

All are work in progress Smiley
As you can see I'm experimenting with mouse aiming, not sure if I like it better that way or not, I'd be grateful if you could test it yourself and help me decide here:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=33421.msg891151#msg891151

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »

The GIF doesn't convey very well what the Nagelkarabiner really does so I also uploaded a video with sound:

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »

What about flying mines , grenade launchers and rocket launchers ? That's where the fun begins isn't it ?
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »

Rockets and grenades will definitely be there eventually.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 11:50:53 AM »

Refined machinegun effects:

Changed the visuals and added a slight knock back and camera shake to the nagel:

New spawn animation, now you can anticipate when exactly a new enemy will appear Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic