Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:51:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookCastaways, Strangely Transformed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Castaways, Strangely Transformed  (Read 4562 times)
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2008, 12:41:01 AM »

126 Castaways on island eat unknown vegetation and become strangely transformed.

I'm thinking of this one as a simple RPG with an Oregon Trail kind of style.  Manage your supplies of good food; trawl the ship's wreckage for barrels of salted meat or oatmeal, or hunt rats for meagre scraps.  Try to eat as little of the vegetation as possible, or else the madness will take you as it has taken your now-monstrous crewmates.  Defend yourself from them, bizarre and transformed.  Explore the ancient cyclopean ruins that litter the island.  Build a signal fire to attract rescuers.

I'm going to be trying not to spend too much time on this because I have a lot of work to get done this month as well, so it's probably not going to be terribly complicated.  We will see.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:16:14 AM »

Shiiiit, I wanted to use this idea  :D

Haha, oh well. Oregon Trail sounds way more plausible than what I had in mind  Gentleman

Looking forward to playing it.  Cool
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »

Hey, there's no rule saying that only one person can use each entry.  There's also no guarantee that I'll actually produce anything.  So feel free to use the same one, I certainly won't mind and it would be interesting to see the different interpretations.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »

Hey, there's no rule saying that only one person can use each entry.

Exactly. Anyway, sounds like a good idea brog! I like the survival aspects.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »

Screenshot!

Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:25 PM »

I was going to use this with the name STRANGE VEGETATION Shocked
It was going to be a side scrolling beat 'em up  Tongue

Also I'd change the text to something a bit more readable.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 04:58:29 AM »

I agree that you should probably use a more readable font.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:30:09 AM »

Is the font really that bad?
I wasn't planning on keeping it for this game because it's not an appropriate style for the theme, I just copied the code from another project of mine to get the basics working quickly.

But.. for this other project I was intending to use this font.  So now I'm concerned.  Is it unbearably awful?  Does it look any better in a game with a completely different graphical style?
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »

I think it's fine, not great. Except for the lowercase 'a', which is horrible, and really brings the rest of the typeface down.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I've fixed the a and I'll be working some more on that font later.

In other news, I've given up on this game, for now at least.  I've changed direction and am now creating a quite different game based on a different CPB quote.  I'll start a new thread on that one with screenshots in a bit, finish it (that's the plan), and come back to this if I have time and interest (unlikely but possible).
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »

This one was interesting, but you should obviuosly do the one that inspires you the most. Best of luck. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic