Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:34:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe League Magazine, think about it at least
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The League Magazine, think about it at least  (Read 3077 times)
majik989s
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:02:19 PM »

My brothers,

There has been something on my mind for the past few days. Some of you know already what it is, but I want/need to tell anybody and everybody I can.

Magazine proposal: I wish to create a video game magazine. It's main draw is that it will be a journal of sorts, comprised of editorials, commentaries, and possibly reviews and interviews (further in development). I want my magazine to be a "safe haven" for writers, professional and amateur alike. The concept will work as such: The magazine will have an open door policy for anybody to write. I wish to present a thoughtful, well written magazine where people can say anything they please (of course I will be doing the selection of the articles). The way this works: People submit commentaries on any subject relating to video games, no matter how controversial. If presented well and thought out, I want other people to read it.

This is what I want my magazine to be like. A free press for video game enthusiasts. I want to give the everyday person, like you or I, a chance to get his/her word out, and also bigger names who are having a hard time finding a way to express themselves. I want politicians to write, then I want you and I to respond. I want editors of EGM and Play and Nintendo Power to write and express anger and frustration because they can't in their magazine.I want to piss people off and make others think. I do not want to compete with anyone, and like the PSP and DS, I want to live together with other magazines each in our own corner. Where people will need us both to be ultimately pleased.
I just feel that this is an amazing time to be talking about video games. We have the best and worst people on our sides right now. We have an internal war like none other, and in my mind three completely unnecessary new systems. We also are looking at one of the darkest times in video game history. The public is beginning to notice games. But how... Lets see... G4- I don't really want to talk about this channel for it completely enrages me to no extent. We are not idiots, we don't like to watch idiots on TV and when someone sees assholes like the people that work on that show affiliated with video games it unforgivingly tarnishes our image. Gamestop/EB games- Buy this, trade in that, bend over. Yes, hello ma'am, oh, a game for your son? Yes he would love this one, or that one. Who tells these people this? Why are they talking to me? Video game magazines- You want to know why everyone wanted this new generation of gaming? Thank all the graphic loving babies that all your beloved magazines created.

After the Virginia Tech shooting there was the expected amount of blaming going around. Video games got shot. They were soon proven innocent. If that can be done. But soon emerged an amazing piece of literature. A great commentary on why video games are this generation's boogie monster. And not only are we not necessarily doing much about it aside from playing marathon matches of halo with our frat brothers, shredding our guitar hero guitars, and FUCKING shooting our brothers for a PS3, but this is what the public sees and takes to heart. I want my magazine to eventually make a small mark into the public conscious. Because I offer the chance for anybody to write, the public wont be able to say "oh those are just paid monkeys". And because every article will be carefully chosen, people will have something interesting and at least remarkable to read and then hopefully talk about. And at the very least (if there must be a bottom rung) you will be published, on paper. This could be your ticket elsewhere. Finally.

Guys, I am so excited about this concept. Please please please leave any and all comments that you can. I need as much as I can get. If you leave a question, I will edit it into this post and answer it as best as I can. I need whatever you can give intellectually, positive and negative. You are all my friends. This is why you are the first to hear. Please think about it.

-chris-

My contact is [email protected]. You can submit articles, questions, angry letters, the like. I will try to respond as soon as I can.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 03:13:25 PM »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Interesting take. Smiley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »

"I was there, at the dawn of the third age of mankind..."

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »

Is this going to be print media or a webzine (a la Escapist)?

I wish you the best with this endeavor, although it sounds demanding. Good luck!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »

Good luck with the fulfillment of your dreams.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 07:04:42 PM by sega » Logged

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 07:11:25 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking "The Escapist" as well.  That about editorially covers, or is open to covering any said controversial topics.  It sports many perspectives, from developers, to journalists, to lawyers, to professors and students, to whomever is capable of assembling a noteworthy piece.

Also, the blogging community is rather active and connected.  If somebody writes something noteworthy, others link it and give their 2 cents.  Qatfish is an aggregator of several developer blogs.  And larger blogs like Kotaku aren't afraid of controversy.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 12:32:30 AM »

Doesn't the Escapist have a print version as well?

I really think the time of print magazines is over though. I saw my brother reading an EGM the other day, and I said "they still make those?!"

majik989s
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 05:52:22 AM »

Ladies and gents,
Really, thank you for all the kind words and for taking the time out to write them. As I said, let me try to answer all your questions.

@Alec: I know, lots of drama. But it really is an interesting time for us.

@moi: Glad to hear it, wish I was there.

@Keops: I really do want to print it as a physical magazine. My style will be like "The Sun". Very low cost, but still looks good. And thanks for the best wishes, I need them.

@sega: Thanks bro.

@POV: Especially over the past few weeks I have been looking into the escapist. I am really trying to present my magazine in a different light. The escapist is indeed a fine publication, there is no doubt about that, but I want this to be on paper. And thankyou for telling me about the Qatfish site.

@rinkuhero: Can't say for sure if they do, or don't, sorry. But that really made me laugh about your brother. You see it strange that people do still read magazines where as I see it strange when they don't.

Thanks again
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »

I was just thinking about how we can remove ads from websites, but we can't from magazines - when I remembered how my mom cuts ads out of her subscription magazine. (macleans)

I love reading game magazines, but there's just so many ads and sometimes its discouraging.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:11:25 AM »

how about the gamer's quarter?
pretty much anyone can submit an article there.
and most of them are quite good.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:34 PM »

I love reading game magazines, but there's just so many ads and sometimes its discouraging.

Wild.  Growing up, I mostly ready Nintendo Power, which had 2-3 adds total near the front and back.  Though, they were mostly for Nintendo products.  But the thing was, I was actually jealous of the other kids with the magazines containing all the adds, since I didn't have any.  Undecided

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic