Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366199 Posts in 64018 Topics- by 55903 Members - Latest Member: Montie

September 18, 2019, 04:47:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookPredestination Paradox Profusion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Predestination Paradox Profusion  (Read 2843 times)
johanp
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:02:16 AM »

182, In ancient buried city a man finds a mouldering prehistoric document in English, in his own handwriting, telling an incredible tale. Voyage from present into past implied. Possible actualisation of this.

Explorer finds ancient buried city. Traversing a rather simple obstacle course (platform style) the player makes his way to the other end of the ancient city. Once there an old document and a portal is found. Document talks of an incredible tale and is written in his own handwriting! (This document is the game manual.) Its final words reads "enter the portal..." (or something). Man enters the portal and finds himself again at the entrance of the city but one hundred years earlier, looking slightly different (the city, not the man). A ghost figure representing the past actions of the man in the future moves through the landscape (a recording from just before). However, since the layout of the course is different the ghost version of the man constantly fails. Hence the current version of the man must push blocks, flip switches etc while avoiding enemies and traps to ensure that the landscape is transformed so that his past self can move through the city in the future and reach the goal.

So far so good, but here's a slight dilemma. How should I reward skilled players? Is it even needed, maybe solving the puzzle is reward enough?

From the top of my head I see a few options:

* By selecting different routes in the first part of the game, players can optimize and find the fastest way to beat the game. Faster = better.

* The fewer amounts of tries the past version in the future has to do, the better.

* OR (and I really like this one although it will complicate things to the MAX), when the player successfully has guided his past self in the future to the portal, another portal is opened (in the current time) that the player enters. This is now level 2, another 100 years earlier and man must help his future self help his future self. Etc. If this works, it will be mind boggling and extremely interesting and confusing. :D

What do you think? I really want to get back into making small, fun games and I've really wanted to do a "play with yourself" game for a long time now and this opportunity is as good as any. Smiley

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »

Ohh, nice idea. Kinda the reverse of cursor *10: You're fixing up the future for your past self, rather than fixing up the past for your future self.

Designing the puzzles to work at both ends is gonna be hard though!

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 02:15:37 AM »

Nice idea, though it sounds difficult to implement. You might want to know that Lovecraft actually wrote a story based on this note, it's called 'The Shadow Out of Time': http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/theshadowoutoftime.htm

It's not really very related to what you're planning to do but I thought I'd mention it. (It's one of my favourite Lovecraft stories.)

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:20:03 AM »

Dude, having progression to level 3, 4, 5 etc would be mind blowing. Probably too hard to implement, though.

Maybe a simple case of fewer failures lead to a better ending, story-wise?
johanp
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »

I really want to go with multiple levels of help yourself depth. If I just get a nice structure up and running it shouldn't be that hard.

Since making puzzles are going to be near impossible at multiple depth I'll probably design a handful of interesting interaction chains and then apply them to the level randomly in reverse.

Haven't decided on the interaction set yet though. Move and jump will of course be there, but the player must also be able to interact with the level. Pushing should do the trick, but it would also be nice to be able do dig up tiles and put them down elsewhere, really messing up the system. Smiley

If the player can choose how complex to move around on the first level, the player can decide on the difficuly level herself by doing more or less crazy things. There could also be three different main paths that hold various complex settings to play around in.

Maybe I'll add ladders and conveyer belts too, but it depends on how difficult the game already is at that stage... Smiley

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:07:04 AM »

Man, if you can pull this off, it would be AWESOME. Really nice idea, and I look forward to seeing what you can do with it!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
johanp
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »

Heh, yeah, well, it might be more than I can chew. I hope I can  at least manage to do something along these lines... I wrote the recording/playback code yesterday and it works really well so at least that part is done.

I'm however getting uneasy about how fun the game actual will be, but I hope to have the basic moving around pretty solid and entertaining in itself, and then the puzzle part added on.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic