Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:53:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace Book127 Ancient and unknown ruins—strange and immortal bird who speaks in a language
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 127 Ancient and unknown ruins—strange and immortal bird who speaks in a language  (Read 9218 times)
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:15:49 AM »

"127 Ancient and unknown ruins—strange and immortal bird who speaks in a language horrifying and revelatory to the explorers."

Here's my initial mockup, feedback appreciated...
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »

On IRC, people mentioned that the premise features explorerS, plural.

I give you, from right to left, Dweezul, Foxxy, and Croc.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »

The geometries of those breasts are bizarre and non-euclidean, and do not appear to obey the physics of our mortal universe.

I like the colour scheme.  It's evocative of very ancient ruins in a very ancient desert.

I think it's interesting that it's "a language horrifying and revelatory" - does this mean that the language itself is special, regardless of what words are spoken in it?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »

The geometries of those breasts are bizarre and non-euclidean, and do not appear to obey the physics of our mortal universe.
Lovecraftian breasts?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »

Mine also has a long-lived bird (although will be a texty adventure and not remotely similar to this).

What's with Lovecraft's obsession with long-lived birds?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »

Yes... I think that character is going to be the exception to the "small sprites shouldn't have a breathing animation" rule...

I like the colour scheme.  It's evocative of very ancient ruins in a very ancient desert.

I stoled it from one of many Game Boy demakes on some link corpus sent me on #tigIRC...  I'm a bad, bad, 4-color-stealing man...  Maybe I'll tweak it a little.

I think it's interesting that it's "a language horrifying and revelatory" - does this mean that the language itself is special, regardless of what words are spoken in it?

I'm planning on making a separate, weird pixel font for the bird's language... the question is, should the player find some (SAN-reducing) book that translates it, or should there be some Rosetta stone somewhere that will tell what each glyph's Roman representation is, and let the player write it down...
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 12:23:19 PM »

Your character designs are awesome.  The nerd especially.  It's perfect Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »

Thanks... I have no idea from what tortured recess of my mind they came from... little features came out as artifacts of sloppy pixeling, and I developed them...
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »

New mockup (temple entrance)..

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »

I like the palette a lot, too. So how will this play? Is it one of those "coop with yourself" games?
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »

I like the palette a lot, too. So how will this play? Is it one of those "coop with yourself" games?

Yes, I think that each of the characters will have different capabilities, and there will be a hotkey to switch between which one is being controlled (or is in the lead, if I have them move in a queue).

So, somewhere between Lost Vikings and Secret of Mana (single player)...
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 02:16:51 AM »

Got a scrolling test working with Pygame and psyco.  Performance is good (on a paltry 2+GHz machine Wink); might not have to resort to C++ and OpenGL for this one.   Cave Story
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic