Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 03:21:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSomersault is released and nominated for EIGA
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Somersault is released and nominated for EIGA  (Read 2639 times)
Birdseed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »

Hi everyone,
some of you may already read my posts at the indiegamer forum but I would like to announce our new game also here at TIGForums.
Recently we released our game Somersault on http://www.somersault-game.com
and have been nominated for the European Innovative Games Award.
Somersault is our attempt for introducing a new way of control on the PC and Mac and making a game with a new feeling of gameplay.
I would be really glad if you could give us some feedback if the controls are understandable and how long it took you to feel comfortable with this new style of control.

Somersault is my game!
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

The game looks nice. Though, sir, I don't know if you can still avert your fate, but I'll tell you this before others do it all the more harshly: You should have read the sticky thread entitled "DO NOT ADVERTISE YOUR OWN GAMES IN THIS FORUM". The Feedback forum is what you'll want to take a look at Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Birdseed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:58:23 AM »

Ups that was my mistake.  Embarrassed
I'm very sorry. Is it possible to move this thread to the feedbacksection or do I have to post there again?

Somersault is my game!
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »

You can message Derek, he has the power to move  posts.

Birdseed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:55:51 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am still curious what you think about the game. Especially what your first impression is.

Somersault is my game!
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »

Hey hey, I thought somebody ought to reply on this thread.

I haven't played the game, but I watched the video clip. I must say that the visual presentation is quite interesting. I like the rainbow effect and the weird 3D monsters Smiley

The problem I see with the game is that I can't imagine the target audience that would enjoy it. I mean (and I'm speculating now):

1. The artwork is "challenging." I would think that it mainly appeal to A) young children or B) adults who find greater value in life than "omgz next-gen graffix!!"
2. The gameplay seems "challenging." This would mainly appeal to teenagers or people who like hard-to-eye coordination games. It doesn't really matter if the level design is forgiving, since it's fundamental to how the game is played.

The cross-section of people in point 1 and people in point 2 is probably quite thin. I think this is a shame, because the video clip really shows how much effort that has been placed in the game, but alas... as I said... I haven't played the game because it doesn't appeal to me (due to point 2). I would love to see all the strange creatures, but drawing lines to bounce a ball there doesn't sound so fun.

Another thing, unrelated to the game, is that you will probably receive more replies to your thread if you add more content to your post. Asking people to go to your site to see your game, when they don't even know who you are, is too much. Post (links to) screenshots, videos etc in your post next time.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »

i cant play it on my mac, but my thoughts from the video:

the art style is definitely really wild, reminds me of early 3d adventure games like tonic trouble or something. jeb brought up good points about how your graphics relate to and effect your audience. there definitely seems to be a trend towards cleaner styles, which in no way obligates you to follow, just something to consider.

my main critique would definitely be of the speech bubbles that pop up when you get hurt, that really ruined hurt the experience for me.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Birdseed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:26 AM »

Thanks for your feedback.
Our target audience are arcade gamer who love the old games like sonic, mario, breakout, pinball etc and want to try something fresh inside these genres.
Indy games tend to have cleaner styles today but we had an other approach when we created the game. We were 4 different artist and to keep us motivated throughout the whole production everyone was free to choose style and setting of one world. That's why the game is not in that typical minimal style many indy games have.
And I think as indy developer you don't have to follow the vogue.
The gameplay seems "challenging." This would mainly appeal to teenagers or people who like hard-to-eye coordination games. It doesn't really matter if the level design is forgiving, since it's fundamental to how the game is played.
Yes, the game is challenging. It is definitly not an avarage casual game but it is also not a Mega Man.
Players just have to take some time to learn the controls which are as simple as possible. Then they will experience a pretty cool visually diversified journey.

Here are some screenshots:

Somersault is my game!
increpare
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 07:41:10 AM »

Visually it's beautiful.  The richness of the colours is really striking (I've just watched the video).  I'd second the comment about the speech-bubbles: some visual feedback might be better.  It's a very interesting game: I think you've certainly carved out a niche for yourself.  I'll have to play it some time properly.  music also contributed quite positively to the experience for me.
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:54:05 AM »

I have only watched the video. Will have to try later, because it looks like there's some cool ideas here, extending from some of the DS mario minigames I think I saw (unless I dreamed them?)

I love the predictive path... I thought it was going to be a trail from the screen shots, but no, it tells you where to go. Wanted to do something like that, myself... alas, you beat me to it by a country mile! Well done, sirs.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic