Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:25:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace Book[Prototype] Bedtime stories for the narcoleptic (56 Book too horrible to read)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Prototype] Bedtime stories for the narcoleptic (56 Book too horrible to read)  (Read 5460 times)
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »

I'm building a Gamebook motor for the web with 100% client-side execution (xml/xslt/css/js).

I'm hoping this will be a comeback from the failure that was my Demake entry that almost no one seemed to be able to get running. This one everyone will be able to run and if anyone wants to make a Gamebook of their own you only have to write the xml story file and hook it up to the same style sheet transformation definition I'm using.

I've got a couple of my closest friends helping me out with the story if only we can decide on which entry in the commonplace book to base it on.

56 Book or MS. too horrible to read—warned against reading it—someone reads and is found dead. Haverhill incident.

FINISHED: But not really finished since the story is horrible, not finished and there are missing paragraphs and and and it's just bad.  Cry

Here's my entry that should be able to run in most browsers: http://www.viktorsson.com/tor/bedtimestoriesforthenarcoleptic/booktoohorribletoread/56.xml

IE7 works best. I use Firefox 3 and the scroll is glitching some from time to time but it's playable.

Source: http://www.viktorsson.com/tor/bedtimestoriesforthenarcoleptic/solo.zip

The music is public domain but can't remember where I found it.
I'll look it up and add a reference here.

EDIT: I take myself out of the competition. I can't stand how bad this came out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:13:28 AM by robotacon » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:53:51 AM »

I'm one of those. Tongue Sorry, my PC just hates XNA with a passion.

I'm intrigued to see what you come up with.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »

Oh wow, I wanted to make such an engine but server-side and very minimal. If you do a good job I might not need to, though!

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:16:13 PM »

FINISHED  Roll Eyes *whistles*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:25:57 AM by robotacon » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »

Quite cool. Playing through it now.

Uh, but say, once I'm done, would you like a proof-reader? There are a fair few typos and some missing punctuation marks here and there. I could help, if you don't feel like trawling through it once more.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »

Hmmm. Good job on the engine, it's pretty slick. Sadly, though, I thought that the game's story is too filled with mundane details, and then I just died because I gave a beggar some spare change. I think that it would be easy to compact the boring parts, and jump to the meaningful ones; no need to detail everything.

I'd love to play around with the engine, though, if you decide to make it public.

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »

I couldn't agree with you guys more. The text lacks in quality and the story tree has too many broken branches. I will run the text through a spell-checker but I don't think I have the time to finish the story or fix the logical errors.

In it's currenty form it's more of a tech demo than a complete game. As soon as I've cleaned up the code just a little bit I'll zip it up and post it here for easy downloading.

Thanks again for the feedback.

EDIT:
 November 27th!!!! I have 10 more days! I thought it was Nov 17th!
 Happy happy! Joy joy!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:14:04 PM by robotacon » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »

Awesome. I look forward to both the engine and the improved game. :)

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »

I'm done with this now. I can't make myself to complete the project.

I had an idea at the end to make the main character a Paranormal Insurance Inspector so that you could get into the action earlier but it became really hard to handle. I think the best thing I could have done was to create the skeleton for the game first and add the text afterwards.

Please don't remind me of the irony "Book  too horrible to read". The game engine ain't that bad so perhaps it can inspire someone to create something worth playing.

***Added links to first post***

Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »

Ah hell. I just tried to go upstairs and found that the game wasn't completed, then I come here and see that you've ended the project. It was an interesting idea, too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic