Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411483 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:27:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookTower of Shoth [DEMO]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Shoth [DEMO]  (Read 28862 times)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »

Fuck Zonormo, this is where it's at.

198 Distant tower visible from hillside window. Bats cluster thickly around it at night. Observer fascinated. One night wakes to find self on unknown black circular staircase. In tower? Hideous goal.

Two games in one! You can either play it in easy mode, with moody puzzle platforming, or hardcore nerve-wracking frustration mode!

Difficulty selection
Pushable blocks that can fall
7 Levels over 2 difficulty modes!
Semi double jumping (I love this one)
Checkpoints
Alternate level completion ways
Switches that turn blocks off
Collectable items!

And maybe more if I'm forgetting something :D

EDIT:
I have optimized the demo as much as humanly possible, so here you go:

It's a little hardware intensive, but this is all I can do with GM. Runs fine on my desktop but slows a bit down on my laptop.

Can you guys tell me how it runs for you?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7ff5daf835ddfd71ab1eab3e9fa335ca1e83e1ce06833cef
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:28:23 AM by NaYoN » Logged

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »

2.5D Rotating Tower Platformer?

Hell yeah Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »

We definitely need more of this kind of game. Spot on.  Gentleman

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:22:57 PM »

Interes Thing

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »

Ohhh, cool Smiley The only other game I've ever seen do this was nebulus(?) on the C64, and to be honest it didn't do it very well. So this could be really interesting - there's a lot to explore here Smiley

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:34:36 PM »

Should I keep the character art? It's not exactly mine but I modified it... I'm asking because I have difficulty drawing a character that fits and I tend to get stuck on stuff like this, and I'd rather have some placeholder art and move on with the game-making...

Anyway, I've added a Shoth to the game, it's basically this Lovecraftian creature that roams the tower floors and you have to avoid contacting it. Now I'm trying to come up with some interesting gameplay twist to make it unique... Probably some puzzle element.

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »

Should I keep the character art?

I feel like if you're going to keep the tower so dark, you should make the character a bit brighter. At the moment, everything is a bit dark and difficult to see.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:25 AM »

Should I keep the character art?

I feel like if you're going to keep the tower so dark, you should make the character a bit brighter. At the moment, everything is a bit dark and difficult to see.

To tell the truth, the only thing I see in that picture is a pair of eyes.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 12:51:08 AM »

Now?

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »

What the, I just looked at my images on a public computer and they appear fucking dark :D

Will up the brightness of the game a bit, maybe. I wanna keep a dark mood though.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:59:03 AM »

Ohhh, cool Smiley The only other game I've ever seen do this was nebulus(?) on the C64, and to be honest it didn't do it very well. So this could be really interesting - there's a lot to explore here Smiley

I think Icy Tower does something similar as well. This looks way more interesting though Smiley

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »

Try this and tell me how dark it is for you. Z jumps. You can kind of hoist yourself up from edges. There are trapped block but if you bunnyhop you can avoid them. There is a small interval of time when you land in which the character flips his arms and that interval is for bunnyhopping.

http://willhostforfood.com/files3/6089410/shoth.exe

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:02 AM »

Yeah, that's a good level of darkness. The character's outline is way too light though, doesn't really fit in at all.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 01:35:53 AM »

Try this and tell me how dark it is for you.

The only thing I see is the character, the rest is solid black :D

I tend to have a dark monitor though; not sure why, I've already ramped up brightness as far as it can go. Maybe you can provide some sort of brightness control in the game? Many dark games do it.

EDIT: This might help: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=331624&mode=threaded
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:51:18 AM by muku » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 02:50:08 AM »

Can't run the game on this computer but I have to say that neon outline on the character is a step backwards.

tweet tweet @j_younger
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 06:06:57 AM »

I got the idea of the outline from one of the GBA/DS Castlevania games, the character there had the same outline, I think it was both the Aria games and harmony of Dissonance. And it creates a contrast imo.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »

Dark things tend to look fine on LCDs, but not on CRTs; I played through most of An Untitled Story on a CRT, but it wasn't until I made a screenshot and adjusted brightness levels that I realized the last area was not supposed to be all black. I imagine that's what's happening here.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »

I think Icy Tower does something similar as well. This looks way more interesting though Smiley

I think there was a level in 'Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse' on the Megadrive/Genesis that had you climbing up a psuedo-3D tower in much the same way. But yes, Nebulus did it first. It was a really interesting effect at the time, but the gameplay was of the chronically unfair 'Memorise which platforms are going to collapse when you stand on them' kind.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »

Funnily enough, even though I've never played the original, I have the same gameplay element of identical blocks falling or not :D I probably will remove it though :D

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »

I don't mind identical blocks falling as long as you have some sign. Like having them shake slightly as you get close, or a little trail of dust. Something that an observant person could catch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic