Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:11:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookTower of Shoth [DEMO]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Shoth [DEMO]  (Read 28847 times)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »

Awww, no one has anything to say? :D

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2008, 01:09:55 AM »

I have optimized the demo as much as humanly possible, so here you go:

It's a little hardware intensive, but this is all I can do with GM. Runs fine on my desktop but slows a bit down on my laptop.

Can you guys tell me how it runs for you?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7ff5daf835ddfd71ab1eab3e9fa335ca1e83e1ce06833cef
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:24:00 AM by NaYoN » Logged

medieval
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »

As soon as I press Z:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_towerdraw:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 01:45:12 AM »

Runs fairly well on my laptop (2.0 GHz AMD Turion, ~900 MB of RAM), bit there seems to be a lot of swapping going on, so the game gets choppy at times.

As for opinions; the controls seem fluid, and the collision detection works well. Pushing the blocks seems a bit odd, as they just get nudged around by the grid, isn't there a way to make them actually just slide smoothly, as entities of sorts? Solid AABB's, with the touch code just shifting 'em around, I dunno, I'm not too familiar with Game Maker.

Visually, the game looks pretty nice! The character reminds me of Cyanide and Happiness, which is awesome. The tile graphics could be a little better, but I figure you're doing the game all on your own? But visually, very nice. I can't say much about the character having the cyan outline; perhaps a solid color would work better, rather than outlining? Same could go with the rest of the visuals, having the end result looking much, much smoother.

Great concept, too. Smiley
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »

Medieval, I'm gonna try to fix it even more! Can you tell me which line gives the error?

I mean, even though it runs at 1 fps I should be able to find a way to make it run...

Lynchpin, yeah, I'm doing everything myself so the graphics are gonna get done later. The outline, well, the character looks weird without it, since its legs ARE outline, the legs are 1px wide, so it looks odd without a bright color :D
By the way, what kind of improvement do you suggest for the blocks etc?

Well the boxes were just added to display some gameplay, I will try to smooth them out later :D

Thanks for the feedback, and how hard do you guys think the hard levels are?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:34:53 AM by NaYoN » Logged

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »

No one comments on the levels?

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »

The game is great, I love the overall look and feel.
There are however some tiny bugs that fucks up bugs me...
1:Sometimes the boxes disappear (in crucial situations). Usually into the ground (not in the places where they are supposed to fall down)
2:Once or twice the game have refused to reset itself after I die.
3: Apparently you can wallrun if you continiously push the jump button next to a wall (I hope no one will hate me for telling you this last piece of information  Cool )

I AM FREE!
azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:18 PM »

How's the game going?
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »

I couldn't find an artist, and I can't release the game like this cuz the sprites ain't mine, and there are a few annoying game maker bugs that I don't have the energy to fix... Maybe I will, but I'm not really motivated...

I either have to recode a lot of the stuff to make the boxes work, or redesign all levels with boxes so that the bug doesn't happen. I don't know. If anyone is willing to do sprites for me, I can continue this.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »

Hi NaYoN, I forgot to check this thread again, too many games to keep track of in this competition!

I tried the latest build, and I got stuck in some blocks.

As for the art, what exactly do you need? Everything remade from scratch, or just the cyan guy?

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »

Cyan guy, which level was that on btw?

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2008, 11:12:16 PM »

Pretty close to the start, actually. Don't remember exactly where, sorry. Maybe I should have uploaded the whole screen, silly me.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic