Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:16:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Workvoxel game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: voxel game  (Read 6836 times)
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

Howdy

Idea for this game have been around for some time. It has been proved by Mojang that indie game can achieve success. I believe there is room for more games in this genre, therefore I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Project name - VoxGam.

0. Goal
Create commercially viable product - voxel based game.

1. Existing and future competition
- Minecraft [and clones], Ace of Spades [FPS], Stonehearth   http://stonehearth.net/ , others not listed here

2. Market
MineCraft - April 2013 - over 10 million sales on PC

3. Gameplay
TBD [to be discussed] various types / storylines can be considered, either
a/ fast-paced: FPS, RTS,
b/ slow-paced: economic, strategy, sandbox

4. Sales model
a/ Freemium. Free to play basic version with limited options. One-off payment for full version. Paid updates. Downloadable game.
b/ Subscription. Free to play basic version [with or without time limitations]. Hosted game.

5. Tech
Initially based on OS code [terasology]

6. Development
Create MVP [minimum viable product] - ideally within 1-2 days [1 week maximum], test the traction with gamers, iterate [wash, rinse, dry, repeat]

Does it make sense? I would like to know your opinion, let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:34:00 PM by rogger » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »

Wow man, its almost like you want to sell some shoes or tell us that John makes 1000000$ a day followthelink.
Dont want to be a jerk, but its really sounds like you just want to make cubic game because of Minecraft success. Bad news that there are hundreds of clones or "voxel" games there, which already rided atop Minecraft popularity. Especially considering that there are hundreds of them going to release soon, which going to whole hype for cubic games dying off by the time yours ready.
It would be better if you just made what you like, making something just because someone made money long ago is not s good idea. All the clone guys are out of their job now, you know.
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »

Apart of the fact "hundreds" seems to be great exaggeration, that's actually good news.

If anyone here happens to be "MC clone" guy out of job, please share your experience.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »

You have a rough business idea, why do you think somebody should work with you? What is your personal UVP?

Did you read this?
4. Also, we're VEEERRRY skeptical of people who post jobs as "producers" or "designers" looking for people to work for no money upfront.  Not just that... it's a certain type - generally they haven't completed any games before and/or want to make something overambitious for their experience level.  They don't actually DO anything themselves, like art, programming, or music... they're just "producers" or "designers".  These projects have a very slim chance of working out and can wreck the people who work on them, so if this sounds like you, expect skepticism if you post.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:10:30 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »

In short, my goal is to articulate the idea [using OS code of terasology to create a new game] and get some feedback on it.

I mean, code is already there ready-made, therefore I assume most of the readers of this thread would be able to make use of it - create their own games with unique features.

Now, it's a completely different story if you think there is a point of doing it in the first place. Maybe there is no future for sandbox games after MC, maybe there is too much competition, etc. On the other hand, if you think there is space for new games, feel free to share your thoughts.

Re: quote
1st. I'm tinkerer, I put things together. I leave the grand titles [producer, designer] to people with greater ambitions
2nd. Project is not overambitious - on contrary, it is simplified [modify existing code to create completely new gaming experience]
3rd. 1-2 days won't wreck anybody - that's the time people spend making rapid games for free

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

What would the actual game be??? Just a MC clone or something different?

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:30:16 AM »

Creating a Minecraft clone is pointless, there has to be distinctive gameplay. Great example for this is Ace of Spades: sandbox + shooter.

Since "sandbox" element is what makes both games so good this would need to be incorporated in new game. The only remaining bit is to figure out how to do it.

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »

oh ok, I thought you were just looking to make a direct clone which would be pretty pointless! If you think you can turn it around that quickly, I don't see why this shouldn't be developed.

Motion Logic Studios
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

You should probably explain what you have to contribute to the team.  If you don't program, make art, sound or music... suffice it to say you've shown no worthy insights as a game designer or marketer here.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:04 AM »

I got the idea. Try to make a game without it.

All of this: code, art, sound, music, etc - that's useless unless there is a reason to play.

Still, you are right here, for 99 programmers, those are valid reasons why this project won't  succeed. Thankfully, I only need to find 1 person who thinks otherwise.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:06:19 AM »

Programmers have their own ideas, they don't need yours.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 04:56:14 AM »

Ive got more ideas than you Tongue
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:55 AM »

let's assume I am one of your future customers.

Why would I buy your minecraft clone instead of the original one ?

I *think* the only succesfull(in $) clone was one for the xbox, before the real version came out for it.

and "2nd. Project is not overambitious - on contrary, it is simplified [modify existing code to create completely new gaming experience]"

huh ? what existing code do you have ? I assumme the java source code of MC ?
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 05:36:41 AM »

I got the idea. Try to make a game without it.

All of this: code, art, sound, music, etc - that's useless unless there is a reason to play.

Still, you are right here, for 99 programmers, those are valid reasons why this project won't  succeed. Thankfully, I only need to find 1 person who thinks otherwise.

No one needs you ideas ,

Because face it , you are useless and everyone has ideas  Shrug
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »

let's assume I am one of your future customers.

Why would I buy your minecraft clone instead of the original one ?

I *think* the only succesfull(in $) clone was one for the xbox, before the real version came out for it.

and "2nd. Project is not overambitious - on contrary, it is simplified [modify existing code to create completely new gaming experience]"

huh ? what existing code do you have ? I assumme the java source code of MC ?

1st. Please read my posts again - I don't want to make MC clone. All this time I'm talking about voxel based game - which is not the same thing.
2nd. http://blog.movingblocks.net/blockmania/
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »

Please don't turn this thread into pissing contest. If you are part of the 99% majority that is not interested in the project - feel free to go and make your own commercially successful game.

Please leave this thread for 1% minority that might be interested.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:49:54 AM »

2. Market
MineCraft - April 2013 - over 10 million sales on PC

I don't see what other motivation you need, and why aren't you started yet?
This sounds like a fabulous idea, just start working on it already. You'll probably learn voxel programming on the go and brillant talents will join your team when they'll see the success.
Don't let anybody put you down billy, there's money out there waiting for ambitious hard working individuals

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »

Please don't turn this thread into pissing contest. If you are part of the 99% majority that is not interested in the project - feel free to go and make your own commercially successful game.

Please leave this thread for 1% minority that might be interested.

Yeah, that's Tigsource for you haha.

I like that you are considering it from a monetization/commercialization point of view. It's a perspective that a lot of developers on here don't have at all, so skills or no skills, you've already got that up on them.

Motion Logic Studios
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

Market - MineCraft - April 2013 - over 10 million sales on PC

This is important for various reasons, one of them is "product recognition".
BMC [before Minecraft] it would be very hard to reach millions of gamers and explain what sandbox game is about.
AMC [after Minecraft] most gamers are familiar with this type of game.

Why is this important? Because following games don't have to "educate" gamers [MC did a great job here]. Most likely they won't repeat the success of MC, but they can still achieve some level of market success.

What I'm doing here? Despite all attempts, I can't get my head around programming - complete and permanent FAIL. Unless there are brain transplants there is no hope for me here.

As for commercial aspect of the project. Unless you like to work for free, I assume you [reader of this post] have an interest in creating a product that brings positive financial result. Therefore talking about money in advance puts the discussion in some meaningful context. What is the timescale for the project? How long it should take to create viable product [week, month or year?] How to test market traction [demand for product] quickly. How to make money out of it? And so on.

Please, be assured I have no intention of creating the game for the sake of it. I value your time as much as I do value mine. I might lack the financial capital and programming skills, but I have common sense. There are risks involved in this project - but as it happens in life, some people take risk, some don't. Whatever works for you best.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:20:54 PM by rogger » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

Calm down. Go to the bank, get some money thats how the things done.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic