Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:23:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Forgettable Dungeon: Online Co-op Roguelike - Early Access Release!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Online Co-op Roguelike - Early Access Release!  (Read 47233 times)
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »

Small update to the character editor.

* Improved Color Picker
* Color Picker now has RGB text editor
* Added current color button the UI
* Made Linux Version

Linux Download
Windows Download

If anyone with a working linux box could tell me if this works for them I'd be really appreciative.

I also got lights looking a bit better, they now blend out to the ambient world color correctly.

Overall things seem to be progressing decently, there's still some weird issues on linux involving transparency sorting and some odd string case problems. But I believe it's all fixable with some experimenting.

woodenrabbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »

Hi just saw your Devlog for the first time. The game looks awesome :D

I tried out the character editor on linux. I had to install a few 32 bit shared dependencies to get it working on my 64 bit Ubuntu. I also had to change the resolution of the game since the default was so small that some of the screen was not visible. Changing the resolution required me to restart the program before it worked properly.

Besides those steps it seems to work just fine!

Here are the steps I did to get it working in case anyone else cares:

sudo apt-get install libogg0:i386
sudo apt-get install libvorbis0a:i386
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev:i386

Restart my computer

Start the CharacterEditor
Change the Resolution to fit my screen
Restart the CharacterEditor

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »

Thanks a lot for testing it out on linux!

Regarding the resolution thing, the engine I use has an ancient bug where if the resolution is set to larger than the screen you're using it overflows to the smallest resolution then tries to full screen which cuases problems.

Curiously what resolution were you running your desktop at? I believe this build defaults to 1280x720, but if you were running at that or above then perhaps there's another bug I have to look into.

Anyway, that's something I definitely need to fix sooner rather than later, in certain circumstances it can really mess up making it so you can't click anything in game.

I've also added the required libraries to the lib folder in the download, hopefully now people won't have to download any external things.

Thanks again for testing it out for me! It was a huge help and it reminded me of a bug I really have to fix.

woodenrabbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 10:25:29 PM »

My resolution problem seems to be different.

My Ubuntu computer has a resolution of 1366x768 (its a laptop). When I ran the program for the first time it set itself to 640x480. So I set the resolution to 1366x768, but the result was the following:

Looks like any pixels past the first 640x480 are black, so I just restarted the program and all the pixels were being shown.

Also sorry for the super late response!

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

Thanks for the detailed report, I think I have the problem fixed now.

They had some odd logic in place to limit the resolution of the game to fit the desktop in windowed mode. But then if this glitched out it would set the game to the lowest resolution possible then forced it to stay in that mode halfway.

Improved level transition screen:

Some values still aren't updating right, but it looks a lot better.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »

New inn design, this is the spawn room by the way.

Now it has a lot more interactable things, pots/beds/tables/torches, and all of them breakable.

I also posted an update on my site, here, but it's mostly stuff that's already in this thread.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 10:55:25 AM »

The pixel to voxel editor really impressive!

The game also looks great, except for the user interface... that one has a long way to go still, but I will certainly be keeping an eye on this.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »

The pixel to voxel editor really impressive!

The game also looks great, except for the user interface... that one has a long way to go still, but I will certainly be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks!

I actually like a lot of the new updates I did to the status UI, but things like the inventory definitely need to be improved. But yeah it's a lot of stuff to pack into a small space.

Is there anything specific about the UI that you dislike? I'd love to hear your feedback.

So I went to steam dev days and had a blast, I probably met a lot of tigsource users there without even knowing.

I posted an update on my blog with a bunch of pics from it, http://www.odnotor.com/post/73979258654/steam-dev-days-pics-recap-stream-soon

If you have trouble viewing that the imgur album is here, http://imgur.com/a/HsdZC

Super excited for the future of steam, it'll be interesting where things go from here.

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »

I have to wait till next week to try the game, but it looks EPIC! I do wonder if it is randomly generated though? Gentleman
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2014, 02:44:19 AM »

Is there anything specific about the UI that you dislike? I'd love to hear your feedback.

No, there's just too much to list, I'm afraid. You know the term "programmer art"? Well, you have a "programmer UI". Smiley There's just no cohesion, no vision behind it except for that 8-bit font (which is just left hanging loose in the air).

Not sure what a quick fix is, because there's so many problems with inconsistent sizing, color use, borders or no borders, background or no background, spacing, alignment, etc, etc, etc...

In short, you need a vision (beyond "old arcade game high score list"), figure it out from there and make sure everything adhere to those rules and then really tighten it up.

Good luck!  Gentleman

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »

Been a while since I posted, I had to take a break for a while to get my health in order.

To get myself back in coding shape I decided to make a clone of robotron with my engine, to keep things interesting I limited myself to 24 hours and also streamed it.

Here is the result:

Video Timelapse

Progress Pics:

Final build gif:

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cluqu1n7c9gq8ug/Robotron_Full.zip

Overall I'm really happy with how things turned out. As a bonus I also learned a bunch about robotron and how to code in quicker fashion.

Hopefully my health will stay stable and I'll be able to get keep working on The Forgettable Dungeon. I have a bunch of ideas to implement I'm curious how they'll turn out.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »

Alright so finally I'm able to get back to work on this, my friend and I are heading to PAX prime and we're going to show off our games to a few people so I've been cleaning stuff up.

Improved lighting, generally things are easier to see and there's more variance.

Split screen support, this was already halfway implemented but now it's fully functional.

Improved smashing of stuff against stuff,

Also I decided on a company name, Happy Box Games, I have fancy business cards to prove it.

So yeah making good progress, feels good to finally be able to work again.

Edit: I really need to update the main posts screenshots, that stuff is really outdated.

Chad
Level 0

That's me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »

Really digging the smashing things against things and especially the business card.

Good luck at PAX!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »

Loving the look of the spite editor!

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »

Loving the look of the spite editor!

Thanks! Btw you posted this mere seconds before I posted lol.

Really digging the smashing things against things and especially the business card.

Good luck at PAX!

Thanks!

Also I just checked out your project and voted for it on greenlight, it looks really cool.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about head here, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279095382

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

I tweaked the way ranged weapons work, now their projectiles have the ability to destroy interactable objects in the environment.

So now you can do trick shots like this by setting stuff up,

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »

Quick poll, which do you guys prefer for split screen:

Vertical:

Horizontal:

deab
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2014, 01:19:33 AM »

vertical split, the age of the widescreen (assuming this is pc..)
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »

Yeah vertical seems to be what everyone's going for.

By the way my new business cards came in, I'm really happy with how they turned out.

I was worried that fedex was going to print them uneven or randomly spaced, but that doesn't appear to be the case with the ones I've compared.

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »

You had me at banjo pixel avatar, and then again at fry's.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic