Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:37:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkVideo game producer/manager looking for a team or a designer with an idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Video game producer/manager looking for a team or a designer with an idea  (Read 2525 times)
mrdeeds
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »

Hey everyone
before I get started I should say this thread is going to be edited and upgraded if people have questions, and I would be glad to talk with anyone even if they don't have a team and a game in the making.
I just graduated from the university of Texas Mccombs school of business. In January I started a video game project where I recruited about 10 people (some left, some came, the number didn't stay fixed)to make a video game from scratch. I learned on the job what it meant to be a producer but I was never meant to be truly a designer of games. Unfortunately Designer was actually the only position in which I had real trouble finding a good leader that was also an involved gamer.
Long story short (we can discuss it more in person if want)I decided to fold the project as the summer rolled around. I still very much want to be a producer and I have accumulated a significant amount of experience managing a team (without money) for about 4 months. However I am still not ready to apply for a full time job at a small gaming firm as a producer, and I would much rather find a truly inspiring designer and help him make the game of his dream with all the help I can possibly give him, rather than to try to 'force' something through a team.

I help with everything I can, recruiting, managing, fundraising, PR, creative when others are busy or in urgent need of a quick decision. As a producer I realize that my job is to make the boat float, not set it's direction!

Here is a couple of pictures of the organizational stuff I did for my game. I could show you textures and things like that but I spent most of my time making my team's work as efficient, clearly targeted and rewarding.

This is a mind map I made to mark everything we needed as far as sound, programming, graphics for our first level.

This is one of my many spreadsheets to document what is filed in where

This is just a screenshot of the many organizing folder I had
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »

why not start with a simple casual game for mobile that can be easily achieved within a span of 3 - 4 months?

this way its easier to get started, there is less chance of people getting bored, and seeing results after a few weeks is rewarding.

if you manage to set up such a project and get a good artist, let me know if you need a programmer.

iOS & Android developer
mrdeeds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »

why not start with a simple casual game for mobile that can be easily achieved within a span of 3 - 4 months?

this way its easier to get started, there is less chance of people getting bored, and seeing results after a few weeks is rewarding.

if you manage to set up such a project and get a good artist, let me know if you need a programmer.

sure! thanks I'll send you a PM if I do. Since I wrote this message I have been exploring an Idea. I might make a very simple game on my own (gamemaker) just to test the idea and then scale it up slightly
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »

I have a project I am working on as lead designer, it's nothing major but it's still cool. At least in my opinion. Message me if you'd like more information, not sure if it will actually go commercial, I'm thinking free but I'm also not thinking free.

mrdeeds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »

I have a project I am working on as lead designer, it's nothing major but it's still cool. At least in my opinion. Message me if you'd like more information, not sure if it will actually go commercial, I'm thinking free but I'm also not thinking free.

PMed you back. don't let this discourage anyone! even if they only need part time help I would be glad to be of assistance
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:37 AM »

Hi again.
Remember me? I'm the designer you turned down because of a timezone difference.
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »

How about voxel game? Simple idea. Short time frame. Measurable result.
kirkdwilliams
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

Hello,

I am seeking to develop an immersive game series that I need to build a team and develop. I would like for the venture to turn into a funded game studio but if that doesn't happen we will create fun games anyway! I have a background in project management, programming, new media and music composition/sound design. I am looking to develop a game series that is very different from contemporary games and integrate the game with video/TV as well as social interaction. If you are interested feel free to contact me to discuss in greater detail.

Thanks!

Email: [email protected]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic