Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 05:15:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Maker on Mac seems to be moving ahead (not that I use one anyway)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker on Mac seems to be moving ahead (not that I use one anyway)  (Read 7306 times)
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 12:29:49 AM »

Forcing to make a game run in fullscreen is kinda like only releasing a movie at the theatres and forbidding DVD release because it doesn't give the full cinema effect.

Sometimes you just wanna watch a DVD in the background or something, sometimes you don't wanna have to stop what you're doing just to play a game the way the developer wanted you to.

increpare
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 01:43:51 AM »

Forcing to make a game run in fullscreen is kinda like only releasing a movie at the theatres and forbidding DVD release because it doesn't give the full cinema effect.
No it's not.  Not at all.  Fullscreen-only mode doesn't stop distribution or access to a product.  But even if it were, do you think a director should be legally mandated to release a DVD version?

I generally play games full-screen, and don't particularly tend to like it when games don't have a full-screen mode.  But that doesn't mean I think the author doesn't have a right to do whatever he wants.  I think I have the right to complain about it, I guess, but not demand anything, or feel somehow the victim of a great injustice.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:56 PM »

You gotta draw a line somewhere, and if the game relies so much on the state of the screen to communicate properly, then maybe it needs some work in other areas.
I guess it depends what type of game you're making, and how obsessive compulsive you are about how people experience it.  :D

I approach my games from a more artsy perspective (well, I do now, didn't 2 years ago), and I think this changes how I make them and how I want them experienced.  A good analogy I think would be Baroque art; a whole experience was built around the piece so that the viewer experienced it in a specific powerful way.  I couldn't hope to achieve that, but you get the idea.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »

I think it can all be solved with the programmer adding in options for the user, letting them choose between windowed, stretched or a resolution change. While it's probably not the optimal solution (changing resolution will still be retarded), it won't piss off a whole bunch of people because they can opt out.

Even if you don't want it viewed stretched or not-fullscreen, at least they won't hate you for screwing up all the background windows.

Why do you believe changing resolution is retarded? It's the best way to get a game go at optimum speed. You can get huge fps increases by reducing to a lower resolution, which is why most professional games do change the resolution of your monitor when you play them.

increpare
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »

A good analogy I think would be Baroque art; a whole experience was built around the piece so that the viewer experienced it in a specific powerful way.
hmm?
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:51 AM »

Why do you believe changing resolution is retarded? It's the best way to get a game go at optimum speed. You can get huge fps increases by reducing to a lower resolution, which is why most professional games do change the resolution of your monitor when you play them.

The only thing I really hate about lowering the resolution is that most of the time it makes some games (aka Oblivion) look like shit. I wish that there was some way that developers could optimize the look of the game for each specific resolution so that it doesn't make me want to cry when I can't play the game with it looking halfway decent.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »

Oblivion already looks horrible, in any resolution, so I don't know what you're complaining about :D

I haven't really experienced any game looking worse at some resolutions than others. I mean, yes, there's fewer pixels in lower resolutions, so games are going to be less crisp, but I haven't actually seen a game that looks horrible when it changes your resolution, and I don't think it's common. It's more common for games to look better when they change to specific resolutions rather than use whatever resolution your monitor is currently set to and stretch it to fit (as most GM games horribly do).

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic