Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 04:14:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCanatrap
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Canatrap  (Read 1725 times)
Artylo
Level 0

I'm just a voice, pal - a most talented failure, b

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:26:28 AM »

A "Canabalt" style game that I am making in my free time.

Videos

Snapshots

Animations

Thanks to the people at deviantArt for this gif. It helped a lot. Smiley

Download
Dusty Box Studios Website

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:06:31 AM by Artylo » Logged
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:58 AM »

Nice video, even though the game, well, it's just a clone you know. I'm still waiting for a LSD pumped Canabalt with the buildings leaning around and in full rainbow colours and shit. You got the jumping right? That's usually the part where endless runners fail

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:52 AM »

Are you simply cloning Canabalt or are you planning on bringing anything new to gamefield? Even the name is derivative ... Lips Sealed

In the video, why does the title screen say canarap (possibly canarat)? Did you forget a letter?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »

Change it's name to cannibalbalt and you have to drive-by bite people's limbs off.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:32 AM »

Change the name to Cannabalt and have the player run through a huge pot plantation, watering and fertilizing plants along the way.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:36 AM »

Change the name to Cannabalt and have the player run through a huge pot plantation, watering and fertilizing plants along the way.

I know the perfect soundtrack for that. 

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:26:43 AM »

It needs more blood. Cannabis Cannibalism.

Here's the music for that:

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »

a canabalt where you play a trap...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
siskavard
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:46 AM »

Canamalt - you are a mouse running around a 1950's malt shop
Artylo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

Nice video, even though the game, well, it's just a clone you know. I'm still waiting for a LSD pumped Canabalt with the buildings leaning around and in full rainbow colours and shit. You got the jumping right? That's usually the part where endless runners fail

Yes, I did do the jumping part and I think that it's good for now. I gust need to fix a nasty bug with the collision between the buildings and my custom sensor, so it can detect the bit when the runner hits the building.

Are you simply cloning Canabalt or are you planning on bringing anything new to gamefield? Even the name is derivative ... Lips Sealed

In the video, why does the title screen say canarap (possibly canarat)? Did you forget a letter?

My Word!...OMG I missed a letter..F***
I'll fix it in the latest update.
Maaaannn...you cought me on that one.

Anyway, the "Canabalt" theme is just for a start. The basics are the same, but I have more plans for it. I have some more features, including some level editing tools and a few extras. I stole some graphics and the music, but I'll change them soon.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:24:20 AM by Artylo » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »

canarap seems to have some potential

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Artylo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »

canarap seems to have some potential

Canamalt - you are a mouse running around a 1950's malt shop

It needs more blood. Cannabis Cannibalism.

Here's the music for that:

Change it's name to cannibalbalt and you have to drive-by bite people's limbs off.

Ok...I get it...I made a mistake, but I fixed it...
The name "Canatrap" came from me trying to write Canabalt in hexes, but I didn't manage, so I changed the name!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:42 AM »

They're not talking about the mistake in the name, they're punning on the name to come up with something more unique gameplaywise. I too think that's something you should do. But you said you had plans to make it more unique so I'll hold back my comments until then. Otherwise you will always run into the comment "hey, this is a canabalt rip-off!" with good reason.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:41 AM »

What's your motivation for creating this game, if you're going to make it so similar to something that's already created? I've always imagined that going through the long and painful process of creating a game is something you do because you want to see your idea become real. Re-creating someone elses idea seems a bit like digging a huge hole and filling it up again - the work could be put to better use elsewhere...
Artylo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 05:09:19 AM »

What's your motivation for creating this game, if you're going to make it so similar to something that's already created? I've always imagined that going through the long and painful process of creating a game is something you do because you want to see your idea become real. Re-creating someone elses idea seems a bit like digging a huge hole and filling it up again - the work could be put to better use elsewhere...

Well, firstly I'm pretty new in game development and I want to test my skills by making some features that are included in some games that cought my eye. It's mainly to see what I can do with a feature. I have a game developing called "S.C.M.J" and it is 100% my idea whit my ideas for features and such. I have no plan on developing something more than the basics.

They're not talking about the mistake in the name, they're punning on the name to come up with something more unique gameplaywise. I too think that's something you should do. But you said you had plans to make it more unique so I'll hold back my comments until then. Otherwise you will always run into the comment "hey, this is a canabalt rip-off!" with good reason.

As I said in the statement above "I'm pretty new in game development and I want to test my skills by making some features that are included in some games that cought my eye".
I added some more things like AC's and signs and some more objects that increase the difficulty. There is no way I can best Canabalt, because it's a good game compared to mine.
I also wanted to add some aspects of "I want to be The Guy" in to it, but I kinda failed at that. The changes and features I was talking about were mainly sound and graphics-wise.
I have seed your games and I currently don't have the thought or the skills to do such projects.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic