Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:53:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPolychromatic Funk Monkey
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Polychromatic Funk Monkey  (Read 6019 times)
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:50:48 AM »

Dear TIGForumites,

There's something I need to tell you. I couldn't write it, and I couldn't speak it out loud... but maybe I can tell you though song.

*AHEM*

Play my game, play my game
If no one is around you, say "baby I love you"
If you ain't runnin' lame
Play my game, play my game
You actin' kinda shady
Ain't callin me baby
Better play my game

Sysreqs are XP, Vista, and maybe older windows machines
Genre is platform puzzle retro funk bonanza
Admission is free

http://www.farbs.org/games.html

Lemme know what you think.

<3
Farbs
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:04:20 AM by Farbs » Logged
Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 05:12:46 AM »

It's pretty cool, until I dropped off the side of the level.

Raf Vermeulen
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:14:19 AM »

It's pretty cool, until I dropped off the side of the level.
That's a feature  Smiley
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 05:31:24 AM »

It's a good game, you should play it. You who are reading this.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:35:17 AM »

I just did!

Okay, you should make the down arrow both pick up and drop blocks, not down for pick up and space for drop. It's much much more efficient.

Also, this is just me personally, but I don't like arcade-ish type games, so this game really isn't my type of game, I like at least a little story letting me know who I am and what I'm doing. Just throwing me in a weird world and telling me to move blocks around to move around a level isn't that interesting to me, it feels too pointless.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 05:46:51 AM »

That's cool. I initially had a single button to grab and drop tiles, but it doesn't work when later in the game you can carry several tiles at a time. If I revisit this game I'll probably add a story.

Also thanks for recommending the game haowan. I saw the review you wrote on Eurogamer too. Cheers!
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:56:42 AM »

You're welcome. The EG indie gaming group is fairly small but they are good gamers  Cool

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 08:15:26 AM »

I just did!

Okay, you should make the down arrow both pick up and drop blocks, not down for pick up and space for drop. It's much much more efficient.
At higher levels you can carry several blocks.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »

Good game, I really liked it. Very challenging and fun!

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »

An effort worthy of a TIGsource review. For the indie savvy among us, this is a Blummenmacht that makes sense.
Psychedelic graphics, fluid motion, quirky sound effects, blocks that turn into circles, all bestow a very organic feel to the game.
Give me a level editor and I'm happy. The original level took me 2h 26s to complete, exploration and experimentation and all. On this subject, I can only urge more indie game developers to code their games with a level editor in mind. Case in point, Crayon Physics started out with a measly 5 levels, but the community that formed around the game added more and more content.
To cut it short, if you want your game to have procedurally generated content, provide a level editor.
(Final note, misplacing a single block can lead to a whole path being blocked. Not game breaking, you certainly can follow other paths, but kinda frustrating if you've invested time on that path. Consider adding a courtesy SPACE + direction block destruction).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:08:12 AM by bigbossSNK » Logged
Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 10:56:05 AM »

Actually, that path-blocking stuff's something the teleporters can help with, assuming you didn't block all your paths from teleporter 1 to any other teleporter before you've activated them.

Raf Vermeulen
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 11:08:08 AM »

Yep, teleporting is good for getting higher (drop a brick immediately after teleporting to land right under it), grabbing more bricks if you left a bunch somewhere easy to get, or to go back to an earlier area if you screwed up and need to start again. Really useful!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 01:29:08 AM »

One thing that would be nice: a button (shift?) that takes you to the latest telefunk.  It's a bit of a hassle to 1. remember which number you're on, and 2. reach for said number key, especially when you have to do it over and over.

Otherwise, an extremely fun game. Kiss
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 03:54:44 AM »

One thing that would be nice: a button (shift?) that takes you to the latest telefunk. 
That's a fine idea. I'll add it to the next version.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 05:16:34 AM »

*Ahem*
"I played the game
That funky game
It's far from lame
That funky game

Few things I'd like to say
To help you out with this gameplay

So get ready,
Strap yourself in,
Cuz I'm startin' my typin'
And then, you shall see..."

First of all, the game is quite interesting and has a cool concept. The artwork, although minimalist and very contrasted fits with the goal of the game.

Now here's the less fun part which makes me a darn bastard...
I got stock easily while trying to move away from a teleporter. I think it was one on an elevated plateform. Anyway, by trying to make stair to move upward, I accidently blocked myslef at the teleporter. Sure, I could telport back to the original one but I didn't not have any blocks to move back up. I had to restart. Once I even blocked myslef around the very first teleporter. Perhaps you could have a reset button in the game or some way to grab a block that is placed in front of you. Just to make sur ethat your player doesn't get easily trapped.

Speaking of blocks, it's kind of frustrating not to be able to but blocks in the position in diagonaly front/down of you. You know, to make a bridge or something. The player has no choice but create stairs and that can easily become annoying after a while.

Perhaps it's not the fact that you cna,t make bridge but rathe rthe fatc that your controls are a bit hard to get. I think they are a bit jagged. I like how the avatar jumps half its lenght when you carry a block, I'd really keep that, but I'd make the jump a bit slower and easier to control. I felt like there were many move mistakes because of the jumping. The running is fine tho.

I dropped off the edge a couple of time. it's not a flaw in itslef, but you really should reset the game or say something that tells the game is over when it happens. You shouldn't put your player in limbo because of a mistake.   

I easily got lost in the game. i didn't know ehre to go and didn't know where the other teleporters were. Either show the next teleporter when you unblock one or give us a map or something. After I unlocked 3, I really didn't know where to go and I got frustrated. I didn't know my next goal even though I knew there were more.

The tutorial is very nice. I like it.

In the main menu, I'd make it that you can control the options with the arrows too. The first contact with the game is using the mouse but it has no use within the game itself, so it's confusing.

Quitting the game completly should ask us a confirmation. In-game, it's ok. Speicaly since you save the game at the same time.

A thing i'd like to say. The avatar seems a bit too boring compared to the rest. Perhaps because of is blockiness or greyness but he doesn't feel very funky compared to the rest. Perhaps it's just because his eyes and mouth are too simple and he lacks something more. Try to see what you cna do with this.

As Derek emntionned, a quick access key could be interesting for the teleporters. I'd still keep the teleporters hot key on the digits but I would add the last portal keu. One thing about the digits too: start at 1. if you start at 0, the player, when not using the key pad, starts at the very end of the list.

Tell me, do you you have secondary goals to the game besides finding the teleporters? it could be interesting to give other motivations ot the player to diversify the experience.

Well, I gotta go. I hope this helps a bit.
Later!

Lachie Dazdarian
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »

Fun game. I like the original graphical design, and the well coded engine. Excellent concept.

It just, the game plays rather jerky on my PC so jumping is rather frustrating for me. I played it for some 17 minutes, made a nice path to some higher level, tried to jump, and fell back all the way to bottom. That was it for me. But like I said, I love the concept. Great work!

BTW, the game only features one level?
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 10:22:42 PM »

UPDATE MADNESS!

Version 1.3 is now up for download. There aren't any major changes, just little things like:

* Alt can be used to jump to the highest telefunk
* The menu screen can be controlled via keyboard
* The font is less ugly
* There's a new sign explaining how to find telefunks
* Falling off the edge of the world makes you telefunk back to the start location

Thanks again for all the feedback. This stuff will make the game much friendlier to new players.

<3
Farbs
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic