Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411467 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:11:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace Book55 Man followed by invisible thing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 55 Man followed by invisible thing.  (Read 6550 times)
apathy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:49:05 PM »

Been waiting for a new competition to sign up. Couldn't have wished for a better topic. Haven't quite figured out the mechanics yet, but I'm aiming stupidly high on this one.

Set in the 1800's or something. A man eventually comes to the realization that he is being followed by a small invisible 'thing', dog-sized or smaller. It seems non-threatening. At some point the towns/cities inhabitants decide they want to burn this man at the stake as some kind of heretic (maybe after cliched livestock/small children/pets/babies go missing) for 'summoning' this thing.

The game from this point on is a side scrolling beat'em up where you play the man and have to avoid the villagers (armed with pitchforks and shit) and the thing whilst it attacks and kills everything in sight, slowly growing larger and larger. Things get out of proportion and the thing gets so large that the man needs to take it out 'Shadow of the Colossus' style, except you know, against an invisible horror.

I'm seeing lots of physics in this one, lots of environmental destruction, graphical distortion for the invisible thing, platforming action, shape-shifting thing growing tentacles and mouths and stuff, dismemberment etc. Probably won't get finished in time, but fuck it. Will need art/sound at some point, cause I only know how to code.

Tech demo coming as soon as I figure out how to abuse box2d to do all this stuff.
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »

I'm willing to do sprites for the invisible thing!   :D
Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

A while back I drew one of these
I will finish the walking sprites if you'd like  :D

Anyway this sounds like a really good idea  Wink
apathy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:49:27 AM »

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.  Smiley

Yeah so stage one "dismemberment" (of boxes) complete! Would have done it a lot faster, but Saints Row 2 sucked 6 hours of my life away. Again...

Controls for the test app (req. dx9.0c): left/right click places end points for the cutting segment. space-bar performs the actual surgery.

Now that the hard part is done and fully integrated with the rest of my excuse for a physics library the next bit should be easy. The next bit is point impacts shattering large objects either partially or fully depending on the force of the impact. Should make for nice bullet holes or whatever.

After that, tentacles. Lots of tentacles.

TheMeatyBall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:42:19 AM »

Shocked You sir, are a genious  Gentleman And would a source code be appropriate along with the game?  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:56:39 AM by TheMeatyBall » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:42 AM »

Can't wait to see what you come up with for this, sounds like it could be great fun.
ParaboL
Level 0

bleh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

Need more midgets! And possibly Samuel Jackson Wink
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »

WTF that is fucking AWESOME! Gentleman I raise my hat to you sir.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:34:00 PM by Rory » Logged
Chentzilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »

Looks like a game I designed for Cybiko.
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »

Looks like a game I designed for Cybiko.
Man, I used to have one of those. I thought they were the best things ever. :D

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »

Is this still happening? It seemed incredibly ambitious, with a lot of potential for awesome!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Chentzilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 02:28:35 AM »

Is this still happening? It seemed incredibly ambitious, with a lot of potential for awesome!

Nah, the company went out of business in approximately 2001-2002. Partially joined In-Fusio. I had a nice interview with David Yang about it. You can find it (unfortunately, in Russian), here.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »

Nah, the company went out of business in approximately 2001-2002. Partially joined In-Fusio. I had a nice interview with David Yang about it. You can find it (unfortunately, in Russian), here.

I think he was referring to the compo entry.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »

I think he was referring to the compo entry.

Haha, yes, I was. Sadly, its creator seems to have dropped off the forums.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »

Cry This was looking really promising too. Especially the box physics.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic