Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:44:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace Book127 - "The Shadow of Morr"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 127 - "The Shadow of Morr"  (Read 3669 times)
HP Sauce
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »

127 Ancient and unknown ruins—strange and immortal bird who speaks in a language horrifying and revelatory to the explorers.

First off, I know this one's already been "dibbed"(127)... But I spent 2 days thinking up ideas for a load of those listed and this was the first one that seemed to work.

So to save another 2 days of head scratching I'll stick with it ... though the other guys version looks way cooler already  Cry

-----

Unknown chronicler on the destruction of his home world:
My people called it the “Shadow of Morr”:  An ancient being who moved through the void at strange angles, angles so horrid they could bend a being back on itself like the visage of a devil caught in the infinite faces of opposing mirrors.
This weird bending could crack the fabric of the void, like crystal and rain tears of glass-like space onto unsuspecting worlds. Some of these shards would capture the cosmic horror of the beast, like some reflection cast from higher dimensions onto the three dimensional surface of our sphere.  And it was from these tears that the destruction of our world would be born....

Excerpts from the diary of Dr. Philip Stone:
Feb 22nd 1872
The ruins are not as extravagant as I was lead to believe, what is more interesting is that civilisation had spread to this remote location.

Dr. Jonathan Fiddler, my chief zoologist, seems to think he has discovered a new breed of parrot out here. But I would rather he left those damn birds alone, their song is a maddening cacophony.

Mar 3rd 1872

I am begging to lament the loss of Dr Fiddler, as irritating an individual as he was. I swear I can hear the song of those damn birds even in the depths of these ruins. Perhaps he would have been able to suggest a method for spooking these flying vermin away from the site as I am beginning to hear that horrid noise in my sleep.

Mar 4th 1872 (Last entry) 
This morning, the lovely,  Kate happened upon a chamber containing a sheet of polished black stone.

I am amazed that such a primitive civilisation were be able to polish stone to such a glass like finish, it is surely not worn smooth by erosion as the surface is more perfectly polished that any mirror I have seen. Though, eerily enough, it fails to reflect anything apart from small pinpoints of light that seem to twinkle deep within it.

I no longer feel the absence of Dr. Fiddler; his passing has brought Kate and I rather close and I'm sure he would have objected to all those, damn, birds we had to cut through to get to the artefact.
At first they just sat there chirping their horrible song at the stone like some domestic bird to the mirror in it's cage. Then, as we approached, they went feral; I fear Mathews will loose his eye to infection from the wounds unless we get back to the civilised world as soon as possible. We will depart tomorrow as I now have more than enough to convince the university to fund future expeditions to this place.

---

The game takes place in the present day as a group of medics travel to the remote ruins to attend to a group of archaeologists who seem to have fallen ill after contact with a new species of parrot at their dig site.  Fearing a new mutation of avian flu the medics rush out to try and take vital medical samples from the birds and save the members of the expedition.

But that is only the start of the game as it consists of (hopefully if I have the time) 24 small adventure games on one screen. Each only a single thumb nail of a screen in size... With each scene depicting one (non-real-time) hour before an aspect of the Shadow breaks free from the shard.
(See Image for small sample of 8 screens)

Unfortunately a local species of parrot has learned to...err... “parrot” the horrible sound of the eerie songs that emanate from the shard. The sound can warp time and space and give maddening visions of the future.  In some cases the characters in our story can use these fractures in space and time to travel to remote locations (into other adventures that are happening in the on-screen ”boxes”) and even back in time to help prevent the deaths of the characters within that adventure.

On each play through you can only save a handful of the people in the multiple adventures before the coming of the Shadow... who will you save?

(Answer: probably no one, as my history as actually finishing games is pretty woeful)

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »

I must be OCD or something. Seeing the numbers 255 and 127 bother me, because they're  just one bit away from being 256, which is a perect power of two number  Sad

I'm sorry, too unrelated. Carry on with what seems to be a mighty fine game idea Grin

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »

Either OCD or a computer engineer, like me :D

They're the alrgest numbers that can be represented with 8 bits and 7 bits, respectively :D

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »

They're called Mersenne numbers, guys.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »

On topic, that's a damn good idea you've got there. I'm intrigued simply from your writing. That's one helluva plus.

And the idea seems so unusual - many adventures all running at once. You stick with this one, I tells ya! No matter that the 127's already being used. They look to be totally different anyway.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »

But that is only the start of the game as it consists of (hopefully if I have the time) 24 small adventure games on one screen.

I like this. Will the events of one game have an affect on another? That would get interesting fast.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic