Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:10:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallImmortal Defense 1.1, 50 New Levels, Level Editor, Lower Price, Campaign Contest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Immortal Defense 1.1, 50 New Levels, Level Editor, Lower Price, Campaign Contest  (Read 8785 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »

This is probably not front-page material, but I guess it's an announcement, so might as well go here.

http://studioeres.com/immortal

Trailer (also on the site above):

The 50 new levels do not continue the story exactly, but are mainly training / challenge missions; there's also a new story with a new character nine missions long, which is a side-story. 8 of those 50 new levels are in the demo, so the demo now has 40 levels, and the full version 150.

The price reduction is temporary and done as an experiment; the previous price was $22.95, the new one which I'm trying out for about a month and a half or so is $14.95.

Now the game is about as complete as I can hope it can be (although I still plan a few minor changes here and there, and Derek said he'd be helping us improve the portrait graphics eventually, and I also want to make a better video trailer). So now I'll be focusing mainly on working on my next game instead of dividing my time between the two.

I also now have the OST on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F4A8B91582FC04AB -- and you can buy it from Lulu.com if you want it on CD (info in the YouTube videos' info section).

Changelog from 1.0 to 1.1:

- Level editor added. See patheditor.txt for instructions. You can now create and play custom levels and campaigns. You can use the editor only in the full version, but can play levels created in the editor in the trial version provided they only use enemies from the first two campaigns.

- Fifty new example custom levels were created (by RinkuHero and Wynand) using this editor, raising the level total of the game from 100 to 150. These include an eight-level campaign called "Raberata's Challenge" (included with the demo), eleven short three-level campaigns for each of the Points (full version only), and a nine-level campaign called "The Murderer," a side-story written by Wynand. (full version only).

- Circuit Points work very differently now; they can now connect to the mouse cursor as well as to one another, and are significantly stronger and more useful than they were in 1.0.

- Several other Points have had changes and slight tweaks to their power levels; Turning Points were a bit overpowered in 1.0 and have been weakened slightly; Fear Points and Pride Points now fire faster. Strategist Points now do more damage to the defense of a creature than previously, and do a higher percent of damage than they did previously, but they now fire more slowly. There were minor changes to the others as well.

- Background images have been added, changing from a plain black background to a more textured background. If undesirable to those used to the old way, these can be turned off in the .ini file by setting Backgrounds=0 instead of Backgrounds=1.

- There has been a change to how the paths are drawn, which hopefully looks better. It looks better to me, anyway. It is slower, however. If it's too slow for, you can change the method used for drawing the paths back to the old method by pressing the 'N' key during play (press it again to return to the new way). You can also change the method used in the .ini file, by changing OldMethod=0 to OldMethod=1.

- There have been some slightly changes to the special charge attacks of the mouse cursor. Nothing major, but they were tweaked.

- A track of music which was left out of v1.0 due to being unfinished is now in, the game now has a specific final battle music, Winter's Journey. (full version only)

- The mouse cursor now has 'visibility lines' on the sides of the screen, which may help those who tend to lose track of the mouse cursor in the heat of the game.

- Removed encryption on the save file, which may reduce some problems some users have been having with saving their games. If you'd like to keep your old saved game from v1.0, you must convert the safe file. To do that, run the included "ndefense-savefile-v1-to-v1.1.exe" program on your "ndefense" save file.

- Created a message at the end of the demo version of the game which tells player what the full version contains; this can be skipped by pressing escape. (demo only)

- The lifebar graphic on the enemies is slightly larger and more visible.

- Added a few useful hotkeys: space now shows the prices of all the Points, Ctrl now shows their kills. This can be useful for strategic decisions.

- Pressing Shift now speeds up the game temporarily if you hold it down. Note that using the Shift key to speed up the game will only work if your computer can actually handle the game at a faster speed. Changing the path draw method to the old method helps improve the maximum speed that the game can be sped up. On a fairly good computer, the game will speed up to 100 fps (3x the normal frame rate) if you hold down Shift, which can be useful for getting through boring parts of the game quickly.

- It's now easier to "drag" Points from the Point palette at the bottom to their spot without selecting other Point types if you drag over them (even though dragging wasn't intended as a way to place Points). Thanks to Jason Rohrer for that suggestion; he's an independent developer himself -- http://jasonrohrer.n3.net/

- The game now saves at what difficulty level you successfully completed each mission, and shows that data on the stage select screen. The average challenge level is shown during the ending. This can be useful for people who want to try to finish every level at 100% difficulty.

- Several minor bugs fixed, such as the bug where the shields of Nightmares would sometimes not disappear when you killed the Nightmare, and the bug where the final Hellspace level led to a blank level, and the bug where the first few levels were impossible at 100% difficulty. Made the triad flash enemies not become invulnerable unless the shot that damaged them does at least 10% of their maximum HP.

- There are various other minor changes. As an example, I changed the colors on the "debris" objects, making them less saturated, which I think looks nicer. The Panopticon boss is a bit easier, the "star" indicator at the beginning of the level now slows down at curves in a way similar to that of the enemies, etc. -- But these tiny changes would be tedious to document so I'll skip them.

- Added a preview of our next game, Saturated Dreamers. Accessable by clicking "? ? ?" on the title screen.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 06:58:54 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

Sweet! Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:27:52 PM »

When I sent out the email notification to the people who had bought the game about the update, one of them actually recommended Aquaria to me and said that it and ID were his two favorite indie games in terms of story, and mentioned the "evil giggle" in Aquaria. I told him that I had already heard of it and knew the developers of it from TIGSource.com :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:34:57 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »

When I sent out the email notification to the people who had bought the game about the update, one of them actually recommended Aquaria to me and said that it and ID were his two favorite indie games in terms of story, and mentioned the "evil giggle" in Aquaria. I told him that I had already heard of it and knew the developers of it from TIGSource.com :D

Haha, nice!  Beer!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »

I'm looking forward to Aquaria v1.1 as well, do you have any estimates for when that will be released?

(Not that setting deadlines is ever accurate, I thought I'd be done with v1.1 last year! Weirdly, going from nothing to v1.0 took me 6 months, going from v1.0 to v1.1 took me a year and a half.)

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

I'm looking forward to Aquaria v1.1 as well, do you have any estimates for when that will be released?

(Not that setting deadlines is ever accurate, I thought I'd be done with v1.1 last year! Weirdly, going from nothing to v1.0 took me 6 months, going from v1.0 to v1.1 took me a year and a half.)

I'm getting there! The Mac version is 1.1.0, and its nearly out. Just a couple last minute bug fixes and it should be good to go. Then I'll start the Windows beta and we'll get that ball rolling. Smiley

There's a lot of changes in there, so I'm hoping it'll improve the experience of playing the game for a lot of people.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »

Let us know if your Mac sales are better than your PC sales (if that's not secret info!), cause the rumors are that multiplatform games almost always sell better on the Mac (which is one reason I'm looking forward to Game Maker's Mac version).

And I just updated the Immortal Defense trailer a bit, although I'm still not satisfied:

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:23:43 AM »

I just downloaded the demo, played all of it and will purchase the full game soon  Well, hello there!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:24:55 AM »

Thanks, hope you enjoy the rest of the game,  Well, hello there!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »

Thanks, hope you enjoy the rest of the game,  Well, hello there!
I bet I will  Well, hello there!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »

Just a note: I started a contest to create a campaign in the level editor -- winner gets a free copy of my next game and an option to have their custom campaign included with the game if they would like that. No deadline yet, but I'm thinking January 1 or something. The level editor requires the full version (for now), so it's open only to the few of you who bought the game. Hopefully even one person enters, haha.

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 03:39:51 PM »

This is the second time I try ID's demo, but for some reason, I didn't like the game then as much as I do now. The lower price helps a lot Smiley.

Bought it. Congratulations for this game, rinkuhero.

Daniel.
Ludomancy
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »

Many thanks,

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 03:20:13 AM »

I'm tempted to enter, I've never really told a decent story before though.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:24:04 AM »

Just a note: I started a contest to create a campaign in the level editor -- winner gets a free copy of my next game and an option to have their custom campaign included with the game if they would like that. No deadline yet, but I'm thinking January 1 or something. The level editor requires the full version (for now), so it's open only to the few of you who bought the game. Hopefully even one person enters, haha.

Good thinking there rinku. May I call you that? If so, you may call me ith if you like.

I've downloaded the demo, because the vidoe and now the contest have piqued my interest so well.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »

Rinku or Paul is fine.

No entries yet; I'm thinking of sending an email out to everyone who bought the game to advertise the contest, since for now they're the only people who can enter it anyway, though there's a risk that that might be considered spammy, but hopefully not, since I'm not trying to sell them anything. The January 1 deadline is probably too early too, I'll make it May 30 probably (the 2nd anniversary of the game's release).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic