Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:40:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creative[solarcade] a solar powered arcade cabinet
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [solarcade] a solar powered arcade cabinet  (Read 7695 times)
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

they're about a dollar a watt. im planning for 500watts. so 500 bucks. im sure i could get some sort of grant or something. i might try and work with a school as an educational project.

WHO KNOWS Crazy

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »

Maybe you could change the design to make the solar panel a separate unit, conected by some (possibly long) cable. On practice this would make it easier to protect the cabinet from environmental hazards (i.e. rain - you could just put a tent over the cabinet), ease glare problems and make players happier since they wouldn't need to burn under the sun to play a game =)

Also, emulators would be nice, but could lead to legal woes, perhaps?
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 08:01:15 PM »

ya, for events i would want to bring it out, but then i would want to keep it inside the rest of the time. in light rain, the panel itself will be the roof, and in heavy rain it wont be outside. the roof, which will be tilted towards the sun and therefore inbetween the sun and the players, will decrease glare and heat

since the hardware will just be a little computer i'll definitely pack in emulators and roms, since it isnt a commercial endeavor i dont anticipate many problems

ive been recently told that the departments of transportation commonly have a lot of used solar panels, so im going to look into that.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Squiggly_P
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:23:22 PM »

You might want to look into some of the lower power-consumption boards that people are playing about with lately.  I dunno if this would be completely ideal for an arcade machine, but I figure it would be a good idea to let you know if you weren't already aware of this sort of thing.  For instance, the Beagleboard seems to be a fairly popular board:

http://beagleboard.org/

from the "Project Details" page: "Power via typical USB chargers for cell phones from your laptop, from an automobile adapter, from batteries, or even from a solar backpack"

considering it can run Linux and can run HD video and OpenGL applications (the Ogre3D demo video is probably linked to via one of those two youtube pages), I'd figure it would be powerful enough for some MAME emulation
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic