Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:31:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Music (12 Tracks (IWBTG and MondoMedicals NEW))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Music (12 Tracks (IWBTG and MondoMedicals NEW))  (Read 118993 times)
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »

I think we should stick to writing original music for this game... that being that we should rearrange music specifically for indie brawl, not use remixes that already exist.

hi
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »

I don't see a problem with it. It saves us a bit of work, and fits the spirit of collaboration.

There aren't many remixes of indie game music, anyway.

godsavant
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »

Except for Moonsong, the stage we actually need music for atm.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2009, 06:19:54 PM »

In the Death Worm Desert thread, we discovered that Death Worm doesn't have any original music. That means we could either write an original song for it, or remix some fitting music from another indie game.

This has led me to look over the different stages on the roster and try to figure out which still need music selections:
Knytt Garden (Knytt Stories)- I don't know if KS music could be remixed to work well in a fighting game. But I'd love to see someone prove me wrong!

Samorost- Like KS, Samorost's music is probably too subtle and ambient.

Omega Darn (Noitu Love 2)- It's done!

Sun Temple (Aquaria)- It's done (or at least in the process of being finished)!

Death Worm Desert (Death Worm)- Death Worm has no original music.

Asia (Clean Asia)- We'd need to get permission from the original musician, but Clean Asia's music will work very well, I think.

Mondo Medicals- I don't remember any music.

Rescue the Beagles- Again, we'd need permission, but RtB had some good tunes.

Regurgitation Pumping Station (World of Goo)- We still need to get permission for WoG, but it had pretty good music that I think would work well (we'd want one of the more frantic/epic tunes).

Bonesaw Stage- It's done!

Pathspace (Immortal Defense)- ID had pretty good music, if I recall correctly. I don't remember enough of it to know whether or not it would fit Indie Brawl, however.

Crayon Physics Stage- The music from Crayon Physics is probably too relaxing and peaceful for a fighting game (like the music from KS and Samorost).

The Tower (Mighty Jill Off)- I don't remember being impressed with MJO's music, for some reason.  Shrug

I Wanna Be the Guy- I believe the music was ripped. So we'd need something else.

Bird Statue (Untitled Story)- I didn't find An Untitled Story's music to be all that memorable, although there's probably something that could work.

Outer Wall (Cave Story)- Lots of good options for Cave Story music... assuming we get permission.

Rooftops (Iji)- I believe it was decided that we would use a Robotaki's remix, although I suppose we could make our own remix if we had time (read: it's a low priority). We still need the musician's permission.

Among the Leaves (Seiklus)- Seiklus had some good music that could work for this game, although it isn't original, so we'd need permission from the original artists.

If we decide to use remixes of music from other games, here are a few that I remember had pretty good music:
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Lyle in Cube Sector (although its not original, so we'd need the original artist's permission), Magi, Nikujin, Spelunky, The Spirit Engine 2, plenty more that I've either forgotten forgotten or never played

I'm not the most musically talented individual, so I need to hear what direction others think we should take.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »

"Fearless Challenger" or "La-Mulana" from La-Mulana.

Those are definently the 2 best tracks.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »

"Fearless Challenger" or "La-Mulana" from La-Mulana.

Those are definently the 2 best tracks.
But Nigoro denied permission... (politely)
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »

Anyone else have any music suggestions?

null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »

Regarding Iji: I'm in sporadic contact with Daniel Remar, and I could ask him to talk to the guys behind the music about including a remix of an appropriate song in the game. I'd suggest either Face to Face (boss music, IMO very memorable) or Welcome to the Party, Pal (Sector 3, 8, VERY nice pacing for a fighting game) to remix. I'm sure I could do an original remix myself in a reasonable amount of time, too, if I could get the guitar track to whichever song people would rather have in the game.

Sound good?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »

We already have a remix for Tor, so I'd start with that.

godsavant
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »

Hold up, I have a friend who may be interested in doing the Death Worm "spiritual remix".

The ripped track is called

, by the way.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 11:09:23 AM »

that meat boy song is awesome. even if it's the only thing we have from meatboy, it should be included somehow.

kind of disagree with with the "no ripped songs rule". it should be a case by case basis, and we'd have to edit them anyway. basically, take the same aproach that real brawl does.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »

There is a flaw, in your previous post, Soulliard... Calm music CAN work well. I find the Pikmin stage very nice in Brawl, and fitting, even though it is laid back. It fits with the stage, and it might with those, too!
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »

I think on a case by case basis, but with so many talented composers around I don't see why we need to use music that already exists. It just seems to be a waste in my opinion. All the music in Brawl, btw, are rearrangements to some extent, they are not straight rips at all.

hi
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't see a big problem with using music that already exists, especially if it's an excellent composition that's not currently being used for anything. Once we have music for a majority of the game's stages, then you can feel free to contribute an original remix for the Iji stage, but I'd like to at least have a complete soundtrack before we worry about things like this.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »

Hold up, I have a friend who may be interested in doing the Death Worm "spiritual remix".

The ripped track is called

, by the way.
Okay, so where does everyone else stand in the spiritual remix vs. unrelated indie remix issue?

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

Okay, so where does everyone else stand in the spiritual remix vs. unrelated indie remix issue?

I stand confused.

I see no problem with either. If possible, I wouldn't mind having both (50%-ish chance of one appearing instead of the other or something)- if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather have a spiritual remix.

But I'm not entirely sure what unrelated indie remix is going on about here.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »

Of course, there's no reason we can't use both, but I'd still like to hear people's thoughts.

By "unrelated indie remix", I mean this:
Take a stage without original or fitting music (say, Mondo Medicals). Now take a song from another indie game that has a fairly similar theme (like a song from another of Cactus's games). Now put the two together.

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »

Oh, I see now.

I think it'd be interesting to see people's renditions of what they would think music for a music-less game would be like though. Flex the artistic and creative licenses, allowing room for innovation- who knows, you might end up with a song that people can't resist playing at the same time as they play the original games- and it might actually fit pretty well.

Currently brainstorming for a project
godsavant
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »

Death Worm stage music confirmed, brace for epicness.
godsavant
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »

AND HERE WE GO.

What do you think? It's only a short sampler (he doesn't have time to finish an entire song atm), but I love it already. Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic