Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:20:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMorty's Lost Catacombs : 80's style random dungeon adventure
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Morty's Lost Catacombs : 80's style random dungeon adventure  (Read 4201 times)
devi ever
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

If you are interested in helping me populate this game with more items, definitely drop me a line.  I'd love to open up development of this to anyone who is interested.  Wizard Hand Metal Right

THE LATEST PLAYABLE BUILD (031) and GM8 SOURCE CODE >
http://www.mediafire.com/download/13222d517b9c2l5/Morty's_Lost_Catacombs_build_031.rar

Please contact me if you decide to tweak or distribute the source code.

- - -

SECOND PLACE WINNER for Kongregat's Game in Ten Day competition #33, and my first game involving procedurally generated levels.

You are Morty!  Adventurer!  Wanderer!  Explorerer!  Fightererer!

You must survive the LOST CATACOMBS for as long as you can!

This game was created as a love letter to PC and Atari adventure games of the 80's.  The graphics didn't always make a lot of sense, the gameplay wasn't always fair, the goal was never clear, but bob be praised if it wasn't a good time.

Hand Any KeyWizardHand Joystick
INSTRUCTIONS

W,A,S,D = moves Morty
SPACE = shoots a magic ring that absorbs lava and water
absorbing lava and water charges up fire and water shots
you can only have one water and one fire shot charged at a time
E = fire shot
Q = water shot
SHIFT = spawn new level
SHIFT only works when you have absorded enough water and/or lava
ESC = end game
BACK SPACE = reset game

There are many more secrets, items, and details to playing Morty's Lost Catacombs, but in the tradition of the old adventure games this is inspired by, you'll have to figure them out for yourself!

- - -

Hand PencilWaaagh!Hand Knife Right
UPDATES

>>> 06.09.13

build 031

More polish and added a few more items as well as an intro screen.  This is the final build for the GITD #33 compo, but I'll be continuing to develop this game afterwards. Smiley

Latest devlog video... don't mind the wax-dramatic...

>>> 06.08.13

build 030

Added some more interesting items. Smiley

>>> 06.06.13

build 026

This is pretty much the finished game.  Now I'll just be adding a bunch of items to buy from the shop that will each in someway fundamentally change the nature of the game (their are five items available right now, including SHOTGUN PANDA!).

Let me know what you think! :D

Added... too many things to name... sounds, items, fleshed out the game play and then some!

>>> 06.04.13

Fully playable build 021 and source code (GM8) is here > http://www.mediafire.com/?zbd6vcpo9vktbja

Video commentary of latest build >

Added level reset function once tile collection maximum has been reached
Added item shop, cuddle panda item, and item GUI

>>> 06.02.13

Build 015 and source code (GM8) is here > http://www.mediafire.com/?xxf1f41qbl3jfs9

Added health and gold spawns as well as health / gold / tile collection GUI.
Added damage from blobs

>>> 06.01.13

VIDEO DEMO AND COMMENTARY of current playable build >

PLAYABLE BUILD! >>> http://www.mediafire.com/download/3a1f8aj6fy8aizc/Morty's_Lost_Catacombs_build_010.exe

Controls are WASD for movement, E for fire ball, Q for water ball, SPACE for the um... sucking up water/fire magic. Smiley

There's no damage yet.

BACKSPACE to regenerate the level.  I recommend not moving until you see the dark rock generated or you might get stuck.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:34:19 AM by devi ever » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »

WOW. You are cranking these out at warp-speed!! This kinda screams "Brogue" at me, in a nifty way. I'm guessing the black areas are supposed to be grassy outskirts, or maybe asphalt roads paved between the dungeony areas? The "lava neighboring the water" parts are kinda strange...

devi ever
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »

WOW. You are cranking these out at warp-speed!! This kinda screams "Brogue" at me, in a nifty way. I'm guessing the black areas are supposed to be grassy outskirts, or maybe asphalt roads paved between the dungeony areas? The "lava neighboring the water" parts are kinda strange...

Thanks.

Black area is just open space... kinda supposed to be a dark cavern... Smiley

Everything is randomly generated, so fire and water will be next to each other at the whim of the generator, and there's a gaming element that makes the mixture of water and fire fun. Smiley
devi ever
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »

VIDEO DEMO AND COMMENTARY of current playable build >

PLAYABLE BUILD! >>> http://www.mediafire.com/download/3a1f8aj6fy8aizc/Morty's_Lost_Catacombs_build_010.exe

Controls are WASD for movement, E for fire ball, W for water ball, SPACE for the um... sucking up water/fire magic. Smiley

There's no damage yet.

BACKSPACE to regenerate the level.  I recommend not moving until you see the dark rock generated or you might get stuck.
devi ever
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:58:55 PM »

old skool gui FTW  Durr...?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

hi i just downloaded the build. not much to say yet gameplay-wise, but i did notice 1 thing: it seems pretty taxing on the hardware for such a simple game. my computer (2010 macbook pro running bootcamp) heated up like a furnace running it.

i suggest deactivating instances outside of the view. also, are your ground tiles objects or is that a background image?

anyway, sounds like a fun concept, keep at it!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:15:29 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
devi ever
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »

hi i just downloaded the build. not much to say yet gameplay-wise, but i did notice 1 thing: it seems pretty taxing on the hardware for such a simple game. my computer (2010 macbook pro running bootcamp) heated up like a furnace running it.

i suggest deactivating instances outside of the view. also, are your ground tiles objects or is that a background image?

anyway, sounds like a fun concept, keep at it!  Smiley

Thanks for giving it a go!

Yeah.  It slows down even on my computer about 1000+ instances.

I'm a total noob when it comes to getting under the surface of Game Maker, so I'm still Forest Gumping my way through the process with what little knowledge I have.  Durr...?

Definitely let me know if there is a way to make it more efficient.

How do I deactivate instances outside the field of view?

I read up a little on that, but am worried because there are a few monsters that I want to make sure still work even if they aren't within the view.  On the other hand that'd work really well for walls and lava and water which aren't technically doing anything important when outside of the view. Smiley

The default background "ground" is just a large 400x400 pixel sprite.

I have still yet to mess with tiles.  Everything you see is an instance of a few objects.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »

i don't think it's possible in drag&drop but here's what i do in my games: i usually extend the active area a bit beyond the view. would that solve your problem re: monsters needing to be active outside the view?

basically, write a script like that contains these 2 lines

Code:
instance_deactivate_all(1)
instance_activate_region(view_xview[0]-64,view_yview[0]-64,view_xview[0]+view_wview[0]+64,view_yview[0]+view_hview[0]+64,1)

the -64 and +64 is the size of the margin you're leaving for active instances outside of the view. adjust as needed. you can obv make the margin smaller than the view as well (that might be relevant because your field of view in the last screen looks like it's smaller than the view size)

ok, so once you've written that script, you need to execute it either every step or everytime the player moves. in drag&drop, use the "execute script" action for that. you could put it in the player's step event for instance.

p.s. if you have any instances that you want to keep active no matter what (for example control objects), put the line "instance_activate_object(x)" into your script, replacing x with the name of the object you want to keep active

hope i explained that ok haha  Tongue
devi ever
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »

hope i explained that ok haha  Tongue

Awesome!  Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.

Yeah.  I'm familiar enough with the coding... I just haven't been using it extensively yet. Smiley
devi ever
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »

Cool.  Got it implemented and it definitely helps a bit, though now I'm considering setting the game speed a little slower because I was kinda enjoying the just-so-slightly lower frame rate... for old skool' sake. Smiley

Newest build and source code (GM8) is here > http://www.mediafire.com/?xxf1f41qbl3jfs9

Health and gold now spawns when you are sucking up lava and water, as well as an overall count is created for each lava/water tile you get with yo' magic.
devi ever
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »

>>> UPDATE 2 - 06.02.13

Build 015 and source code (GM8) is here > http://www.mediafire.com/?xxf1f41qbl3jfs9

Added health and gold spawns as well as health / gold / tile collection GUI.
Added damage from blobs.

See first post for controls.
devi ever
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

Video of level generation, full view...

devi ever
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »

Old Gods.

devi ever
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »

Created the first item of what I hope will be a long line of near useless items for Morty's quests through the Catacombs...

CUDDLE PANDA!

... with a SHOTGUN!

devi ever
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 02:25:56 AM »

Totem to the old gods.

Growing terror!

The spoils of adventure!

Bow before the treasures of the old gods!

devi ever
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »

>>> 06.04.13

Fully playable build 021 and source code (GM8) is here > http://www.mediafire.com/?zbd6vcpo9vktbja

Video commentary of latest build >

Added level reset function once tile collection maximum has been reached
Added item shop, cuddle panda item, and item GUI
devi ever
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 05:47:18 AM »

>>> 06.06.13

Fully playable build 026 > http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/morty-s-lost-catacombs-build-026/15133/

This is pretty much the finished game.  Now I'll just be adding a bunch of items to buy from the shop that will each in someway fundamentally change the nature of the game (their are five items available right now, including SHOTGUN PANDA!).

Let me know what you think! :D

Instructions are on the first post!
devi ever
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »

>>> 06.08.13

build 030

Added some more interesting items. Smiley

Let me know what you think!

Download it here > http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/morty-s-lost-catacombs-build-030/15133/
devi ever
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

My notes for adding new items to the game... I'm sure it's WAY more complex than it needs to be, but the fact it works... I'm just astounded.

Wizard Hand Metal Right

I'm hoping eventually other will get interested in the "engine" and concept and help add more whacky items.

CREATE ITEM SPRITE
CREATE ITEM OBJECT

o_ITEM
- Change Sprite
- CREATE
   - Change sprite
- o_MORTY collision
   - Change coins
   - Change on/off variable
   - Change execute code : itemarray to sprite

o_SHOP_ITEMS
-CREATE
   - add create item instance under if instance
-STEP
   - Change v_random to irandom_rage higher value to next number up
   - Duplicate v_random block
   - Change v_random is equal to next number up
   - Change if v_listed to new item
   - Change if v_ to new item v_
   - Change jump to position to new item
   - Change set variable v_listed to new item

o_ITEM_BAR
-CREATE
   - add v_ for new item
   - execute a piece of code, add itemarray
-DRAW
   - add draw_sprite

o_MORTY
-o_DOORBACK collision
   - duplicate jump to position
   - duplicate set variable v_listed
-STEP
   - Execute a piece of code
      - add to instance_activate_object
         - and all related objects

EVERYTHING ELSE
- Put if v_ where appropriate, also if o_MORTY.v_shoppin = 0
devi ever
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 04:36:32 AM »

>>> 06.09.13

build 031

More polish and added a few more items as well as an intro screen.  This is the final build for the GITD #33 compo, but I'll be continuing to develop this game afterwards. Smiley

Playable build, source code, and instructions in first post.

I'd really love for some people here at TIGsource to give this game a try if you have the time! :D

... sure is feeling lonely in this thread the past few daze...  Cry Hand Thumbs Down Right
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic