Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:41:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl Rewrite
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl Rewrite  (Read 4894 times)
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »

Hey everybody. I've decided to take over the project so that it doesn't die. I've been working on it secretly the weeks leading up to June 1st, and am now pushing out a bunch of things with the flexible engine I've made to work off of.

The most notable feature the new builds have is time-scaling. You can see how it works by pressing LMB in one of the builds to spawn a "Braid Time-Warp Ring" or w/e it's called, which slows down objects based on their proximity to the ring. RMB on the ring to activate it.

Arrow keys to move around, Z Key to jump. LMB to choose a character (in newer builds)

If you use GM, let me know if you like the code and if you'd like any changes so we can get as many people to write and edit as possible!

Newest Build (13-Jun-2013)
 = Source(GM8.1 gmk file): Link
 = Executable(Windows Only exe file): Link

Quote from: Old Builds
04-Jun-2013

03-Jun-2013

01-Jun-2013
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:50:37 PM by thatbrod » Logged

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »

Nice, I thought the Ring was something that was way too hard to code for it to work. Anyway, does this new exe means that you'll have to re-write everything on the current one and port it? if so, wouldn't it be better to add your code to the current build instead of re-doing everything that has be done?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »

I wanted to try but it's a little too complicated for me to tackle. There isn't much to change and since adding attacks and such stuff is so simple we should be able to catch up to the current build pretty quick.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »

Cool. Looking forward for this~

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

Hey everyone, I've implemented a few of Naija's attacks to show you all how the coding works and how it interacts w/ time effecting things. Links are in the OP.

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »

Hey all. Pushed an update w/ two new playable characters, Iji and Spelunker. I'm going to start working on held items and projectiles now so I can fully implement Iji and Naija, then move on to implement everyone else.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »

Will the game always run this fast? it feels somewhat weird. Looking good so far btw

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »

Well there's delta timing stuff now so that it can run better on different computers, and so it's easy to change how fast it actually plays so if that's a problem i can fix it. it may be b/c my implementations aren't true to the original coding though, so i'm going to go back in soon enough and try to use its examples to get the original feel back

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »

Updated with some more attacks and created effects for Iji.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »

Nice, I thought the Ring was something that was way too hard to code for it to work.
It would have required a complete engine rewrite. Which seems to be what we have here. I can't say it's what I would have done - a lot of work when into a huge number of details. I assume that the engine rewrite wasn't just done to add the ring item.

After working for so long on Indie Brawl, I gained an appreciation for all the details that need to be considered in a fighting game (even a relatively simple one). Before you get too much further, I want to make sure you understand the amount of work it would take to get the new build to the state of the old build. I wouldn't expect it to reach that point for at least a year. I'm not saying a rewrite is the wrong decision (I know how much bad code is still in the old build), but it's going to be a huge commitment.

Using Naija in the old build, if you use vA, you can influence her movement left or right, and, after the first few frames, you can also cancel the attack into another. vA causes a small amount of upward knockback, so it can be easily chained into another attack. vA is too slow and hits too low to be chained into itself. vA is a completely different attack if used in the air. If you use A on the ground, the attack propels her slightly forward. If used in the air, she maintains her current speed. In the air, A comes out more quickly, and she keeps her leg extended for a longer time (so it's easier to hit with the attack while moving). If she hits on the first frame of the kick, the attack is more powerful. The attack ends up being slower in the air, so it takes some time before another attack can be used. Both attacks had their damage, speed, and knockback adjusted many times to make sure they were reasonably balanced, as a result of substantial playtesting. It took a lot of work, and these were two of the simplest attacks. There were over 80 attacks, not to mention the items, stages and support characters. Just make sure that a complete engine rewrite is worth the huge amount of effort involved.

A few specific issues:
-You should have to press the attack button once for each attack/jump, instead of just being able to hold the attack button (or the jump button). You should not be able to double-jump more than once.
-Every attack in the new build completely halts your momentum. Most attacks in the old build maintain your momentum, which is especially important for the feel of aerial attacks. Other attacks would subtly change your momentum. For example, Naija's kick would propel you slightly forward when on the ground.
-It looks like you added the animations posted here without editing them, so the range and speed of the attacks will be unbalanced. In the old build, the animations were modified so that the attacks were reasonably balanced. And the animations will be different if the attack is executed while in the air, or if one attack is cancelled into another. For example, Naija's >A needs some cooldown, and her vA is way too slow relative to her other attacks (which are probably too fast).

kazak
Level 0

formerly saintgutfree

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »

i'm glad that this is being resurrected, but the engine could really use variable jumping (just divide the vspeed by two on the keyboard release of z) and falling through solid platforms if you press down or something.

keep working though, i really hope this gets the ball rolling again.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:03:20 PM by kazak » Logged
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

Hows the re-write project going? It'd be sad to see this die again.  Concerned
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »

It didn't need a rewrite, it need finished sprite