Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:47:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookAll Shall Combust [buggy proto!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: All Shall Combust [buggy proto!]  (Read 9117 times)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »

I heard you guys want a broken prototype with buggy physics. Who am I to deny you that :D

Left click drags the sticks, mid click adds a buggy guy, and right click burns.

http://willhostforfood.com/files3/8923768/fiprophys.rar

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 12:40:22 PM »

what did you write it in? (I can feel an exe behind the link, inside the .rar)

any chance for an OS X version? Cave Story

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »

You have to ask Mark Overmars for that :D

awesty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »

When I tried to run the demo it just froze after it had finished loading.

I'm using 64-bit vista so maybe that has something to do with it?

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »

I don't know. Are you able to run other game maker games?

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »

You have to ask Mark Overmars for that :D

I'll ask some long forgotten ancient god to ask Mark Overmars, and in the meantime, I boot into Bootcamp XP.=)

EDIT: I'm a sod. I know.=D

awesty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:04 PM »

I don't know. Are you able to run other game maker games?

Yes.

medieval
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 12:35:39 AM »

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=308173
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 01:12:56 AM »

So uhh is this some sorta game maker physics?
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 05:41:53 AM »

I believe you at least should put a credit when using someone else's sprite and engine; Especially when you merely edited the game at all. I am not saying anything offensive, I well know that the creator did not say credit was needed; yet I believe a gentleman would show some respect  Gentleman
This is the link to the engine of this game:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=389971

And this is the link to the engine of the other game:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=378706

It is good to make games fast, but plagiarism is not good.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »

Shocked uh oh
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »

That is very true, however I have contacted oth of the authors of these games and informed them, and improved upon their engines. When I actually produce finished stuff I intend upon giving them credit. However I do not want to disgrace other peoples' works with buggy engines I release. Also, that is for the documentation of the game, not for the competition thread of the game. The prototypes don't even have credits yet, so how am I expected to credit? But as I said, creators of the engines know what I'm doing, and even in the thread of the tower game I said the sprite was placeholder. I have no intent to plagiarise of course. Even the name of the prototype is the name of the guy's engine, and if you press F1 ingame you see the description of the engine by the guy, I didn't remove it, so it's not like I have an intention of hiding it. The engines were made public and usable by others, and at no point did I claim I made them entirely. I just claimed optimizing them.

I have no intention of filling a thread which is supposed to be fun adn about the CPB to be filled with "i took this from here, and that from there", because that is not the point of the thread, the process of the competition and the end product is, I'm not going to use those sprites so I even got a friend to do graphics, but I also want to show the people that I have built something, and believe me that tower thing runs much better than the original example, I worked more than 8 hours on the code to get it to run faster, so it's just as much as mine, I believe, and the maker didn't ask for credit, I DID tell the maker what I'm doing with it though. I even told the maker how I improved the code and what I plan on doing with it. He told me to credit him if I used any sprites of his, which I fully intend on doing so. Same for the fire engine, I even improved on it and the maker thanked me. So please be more careful before swinging accusations. I did not "merely edit" these things. Does the tower prototype you see there run at consistent 30fps, like mine runs at my computer? No, with me, it ran at consistent 7 fps. It does not have pushable blocks. It does not have all the levels I made. It does not have the musics and sounds I made myself. I do not intend to plagiarise anyone's hard work. I just used free-to-use examples to create a better design, and I used some sprites by other people (not claiming them as mine) to put out a gameplay design, which is the thing that matters most, for the people to comment on, because artwork can be done anytime, but fixing gameplay takes time, so I thought I'd finish the code before my friend starts cranking out the artwork.
Is that so wrong? If it is, count me out, to be honest.

And yes, the physics are GMPhysics v5 beta.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 02:56:45 PM by NaYoN » Logged

captainbinky
Level 0

My dog's got no nose...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »

I think that's fair enough - especially since you only posted that first screenshot due to somebody demanding to see something :D

Looking good, I love the atmosphere the new background gives it and I like the Darwinia-style people Gentleman but, go on! You can be more ballsey with those crosses, can't you? If nothing else, having one longer arm on them will make the physics more interesting! :D

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic