Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:33:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMemorable In-Game Introductory Sequences
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Memorable In-Game Introductory Sequences  (Read 13770 times)
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:48:45 AM »

There's a lot to said for the amount of excitement generated from an opening cutscene, but I prefer it when a game really throws you in headfirst into a world and you have nothing but to rely on some natural instinct to get you through. And when you eventually come out the other side for a breather, you're already immersed in the game, and I think that's a brilliant way to begin...

Metroid games were always masters at this (well, at least Super Metroid and Metroid Prime from what I can remember), an almost barren space station, a boss, and a timed rush back to the ship, what better way to get you pumped up to explore and get all your gear back?

As much as Half Life 1 wanted to make the 'going-to-work' thing a different approach to most FPS's, it was invariably a little tedious (although the tram ride where you got to glimpse the whole complex was a nice touch). Half Life 2 got you properly on the run, merely moments after stepping off the train, and into the game a lot quicker.

I have to mention Final Fantasy 7 as well, the best part about it is the lack of nudging into the game, you're thrown in to a mission, and you better damn well complete it. You have to pick up the ideas straight away, and there's that urgency again, really pushing you into making decisions with something you've never seen before.

So yeh, I'm sure there's loads more out there, but I've just noticed all these are high budget games. Does anybody know any examples where the game probably doesn't have the AAA-class shine but works in the same way? In terms of freeware, all I can think of is the boss battle at the start of Eternal Daughter...

Last release: sync::routine
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

Formerly "I Like Cake."
CosMind
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »

the legend of zelda: a link to the past is likely my favorite "get thrust into the midst of a compelling situation" type start to any game i've ever played.

also, castlevania: symphony of the night started out with an entertaining boss battle, too.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:00:38 PM »

Sparkster had a nice mecha-punching minigame that (IIRC) affected the later gameplay.

With Gunstar Heroes, there's a little introductory cinema scene (which has no bearing on the gameplay at all), but if you skip that, you are on the ground kicking ass from the first second on.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »

Dragon Warrior 3 GBC

The end

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »

Sparkster had a nice mecha-punching minigame that (IIRC) affected the later gameplay.

With Gunstar Heroes, there's a little introductory cinema scene (which has no bearing on the gameplay at all), but if you skip that, you are on the ground kicking ass from the first second on.

everything about gunstar was memorable and awesome.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »

If I remember correctly, Beyond Good & Evil did this too. But I'ven't played it in a while so it might have had an intro before that first battle. The one where you like, fall underground or something and have to rescue someone from those bad dudes...was it the pig or just an orphan? Well, yeah, it just thrust you into the fight. And that was good because the fights were the most fun part of the game. I wish there were more. But I digress. BG&E. Yeah.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »

Here are some obvious ones (from me, in any case):

Final Fantasy 6 had one of the most powerful and gorgeous intros I've ever seen.  Especially the part where the credits are rolling and the three Magiteks are walking through the snow.  You never forget that.

(link from Alec)

Running through the rain in Zelda 3.

Strider had a very short, but very memorable intro - with Hiryu flying in on that glider into enemy territory... the barrier closing up right as you land.  I'll never forget the music that plays during that scene, too.  Wish I could find a screenshot of the glider, but here's the part where the stage starts:

I really like the opening for Bubble Bobble, too.  It's so warm and friendly: "Now it is the beginning of a fantastic journey!"  I love that!!!

Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »

Wilfred the Hero's intro left me jawdropped. So did the rest of the game (although part 1 was over toooo soon), but man alive, did that intro set the tune for the rest of the game Shocked

Raf Vermeulen
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »

R-Type III's mode7 engine zoom-out effect still rocks my world.  And in longer terms, I think Super Metroid has far and away the awesomest intro ever.  Within just a minute or so of seeing the title screen (featuring dead lab workers and the last living metroid) you are running through the same area, past the corpses, only the glass is smashed and the metroid is missing.

That is just BONERS.

Then of course the fake fight, and the wicked cool escape sequence...all in the first few minutes!  Metroid Prime's intro is pretty neat too, definitely tries to capture the same kind of effect or ambience...but it can't rival the compact, subtle narrative of SM.

cup full of magic charisma
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 06:12:26 AM »

I have to agree with Derek on the FFVI bit. That intro marked me forever. Music by Uematsu is responsible for much of the effect.

(EDIT: It was mentioned by the OP, my bad. He also mentioned Prime)

Super Metroid, but that one blew me away too. Once I heard those synth voices saying "The Last Metroid is in Captivity... The Galaxy is at Peace" I was O_o. The pixel art and music is very moody and gives the intro an epic feel. Also the encounter with Ridley and how you escape the Space Colony before going into the planet is striking!

Keep it up! Good thread.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 06:45:38 AM »

Lufia. It starts you off controlling an ultra-strong party which you later find out are ancestors of your real party; you use that party to kill four bosses and watch the "ending", and then 200 years pass and the real game begins. It's really nice going from playing as four level 70 guys with the strongest weapons and armor and spells to a solo level 1 novice, it gives you a taste of what's to come and sets up the game's legendary hero backstory by *playing* those legendary heroes. Even better was that by the end of the game your party was even stronger than the party you controlled in the intro.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »

the opening/title screen for Megaman 2. The music and the build up as you rise through the city... still orgasmic.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 05:48:09 PM »

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »

At least half of these aren't *in-game* introductions... but it's good to have a list of both anyway.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 03:57:33 AM »

Although it was kinda crap, I at least liked the intention behind the very first scene in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. The one where you're in a room, madly shooting zombies, until you realise "it was all a dream". They could have done it a lot better, but it was a better start than nothing.

EDIT: only they're not zombies. Well, whatever. Tongue

olücæbelel
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 06:14:38 AM »

I love Eternal Darkness. Smiley

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 06:54:47 AM »

It's an awesome game. For some reason, though, I always felt it underperformed in some way; I could never pin it down precisely, but I always had the slight nagging feeling of "this should be better" at the back of my mind. Don't know why, though, because I can't think of any aspect of it that was particularly bad at all.

olücæbelel
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 09:27:24 AM »

Maybe slightly off topic again, but anyone remember the pre-fight intro to 4D boxing? It was a really simple montage put against a solid track that sounded awesome on the Soundblaster. I don't know, always got me pumped up before a fight...

can't find any screenshots of it, might have to dust off the old copy...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic