Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:39:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMemorable In-Game Introductory Sequences
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Memorable In-Game Introductory Sequences  (Read 13771 times)
pyabo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »

I think the intro for Out of This World was the first one that ever blew me away... but a lot of that had to do with the audio component.  It was definitely the first game I ever played that made proper use of digitized audio (on my original 8-bit SoundBlaster!).

The into used the same rotoscoped animation and engine that the rest of the game did... maybe you should define "in-game" though, since it's not really clear.
jaredbloom
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 06:03:58 PM »

The intro to Prey was pretty much the only part of the game I enjoyed; you just walk around in a bar until you get abducted by aliens while listening to Blue Oyster Cult.

The beginning of Knytt was quite nice, too.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »

The intro to Prey was pretty much the only part of the game I enjoyed; you just walk around in a bar until you get abducted by aliens while listening to Blue Oyster Cult.

Seconded!

I guess I wish the game was more of a reserve simulator or something.

Reserve Tycoon?

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »

I see this and I can't help laughing, WTF! So stupid it's good! :D

I agree, the Dragon Quest III (GBC/SFC) one is so cool, where you are asked some questions to determine your personality, Vantage Master Online has something similar... Not really sequences per se, though...

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 09:12:52 PM »

A few of the Ultima games, as well as their corresponding NES ports, had a questionnaire at the start to determine your virtues.

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »

I can't find a decent pic of it, but the in game intro to Metal Gear Solid for ps1 was fantastic.

That game had a very cinematic quality to it, and the beginning set the tone perfectly. Initially you watch as Snake enters the base and emerges through the water, credits roll in a similar fashion as a movie. Then you are placed in control of Snake, as you move around the first introductory stage, credits still continue to roll out. At the time, I thought that was kind of different, and it defiantly set the mood for the rest of the game.

cheers, rey-o
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 12:13:33 AM »

A few of the Ultima games, as well as their corresponding NES ports, had a questionnaire at the start to determine your virtues.

That was my least favourite part of Morrowind. "Welcome to Morrowind. Here, have these bolted-on game mechanics." I'd rather have had the usual character creation screens than that. Roll Eyes

olücæbelel
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 03:19:02 AM »

I can't find a decent pic of it, but the in game intro to Metal Gear Solid for ps1 was fantastic.

Yeh, I was going to mention that, but then I decided to look more at games where you effectively 'play' the introduction. Same goes for Out Of This World (or Flashback as normal UK people know it Wink ). Another World worked a lot better, because your first encounter was escaping a tentacle monster from a swimming pool, then being chased by that beast thing across those bloody cannibal worms (TWICE!), before eventually getting to the first checkpoint. Evil, but exhilarating to complete.

Beyond Good & Evil, I'll have to check that out again, can't remember the introduction...

Last release: sync::routine
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »

Same goes for Out Of This World (or Flashback as normal UK people know it Wink ). Another World worked a lot better, because your first encounter was escaping a tentacle monster from a swimming pool, then being chased by that beast thing across those bloody cannibal worms (TWICE!), before eventually getting to the first checkpoint. Evil, but exhilarating to complete.

Yopu got your names wrong. AW/OotW are the one of the same, not flashback with ootw

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 10:22:19 PM »

That reminds me. Smiley

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen started out with your human main character in a tavern, finishing up a drink. You get control right away, and as soon as you leave, assassins attack you. You can try to survive for as long as possible, but eventually they'll kill you...

...then you get raised from the dead as a vampire, your first objective being to murder your would-be assassins.

Here's a video of a guy surviving for a really long time at the beginning. Tongue

(lol, someone mixed Nightwish, Blood Omen and Spanish and its ridiculous)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:24:58 PM by Alec » Logged

E. Megas
Level 0

悪を断つ剣

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »

Final Fantasy II (A.K.A. "Son, you are SO screwed")

Right after you enter your name, you go right into your first fight, versus four horsemen (HAH!). They get the first strike. They hit for 900 damage or higher while you barely have the chance to notice, the first time the party stats come up, that your guys have 20-40 HP each; within one turn about half of your party's dead--if you're lucky, anyway. Often they only leave just one of your characters alive, letting you make some half-assed attempt at trying to hit them (you can't run and you don't have any magic) before they finish the job.

You won't last more than one turn in general; though I've never seen the enemies wipe all of your people out on the first strike, I wouldn't be surprised if that also happened a good share of the time. (Going the other way, if you have ridiculous luck and enough of the horsemen wait out their turns, you could survive two turns, theoretically. Doubtful!)

In any case--insofar as I know--the opening of FFII stands as the first actual "unwinnable battle" in Console RPG history.

Granted, it probably didn't happen without inspiration; there was a boss fight that was mostly unwinnable (even though the game continues without penalty) in the middle of the original Phantasy Star, released one year earlier; with enough preparation and extensive leveling, however, it was possible to win that fight. Square took Rieko Kodama's idea to its logical conclusion--they eliminated the middleman and gave you no chance at all. The fight comes right as the game opens, so there's obviously no time to level up for it; this whole affair might, at most, take up a minute and a half of your play time. (It'll also be the only battle with Leon in your party for a very long while. So long, in fact, that you'll probably wonder why they ever made you take the trouble to name him to begin with.)

Akitoshi Kawazu was said to have a fairly large hand in designing this particular game in the series. (The "use skill to level skill" mechanic would play a larger role in his SaGa games a bit later.) Out of all of the original post-Denyuusha Square staff still at the "Square" half of Square Enix, he was known for taking the biggest risks. FFII's opening was a pretty big risk in itself--players could've shut the game off after that fight with the unwavering belief that there was no way to win it. (And a few probably did!) But five'll get you ten that the opening was even partly Kawazu's idea.

Yet another piece of videogame history that we missed in proper temporal context. (But we got pretty close; Nintendo almost brought it out domestically after its release.) Ahwell...I enjoyed it even long after-the-fact.

I've got another that comes to mind; will post about it in a bit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:59:04 PM by E. Megas » Logged
BranDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »

jaredbloom
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »

If I recall correctly, the first level of Call of Duty: Finest Hour had an opening that involved sitting on a boat being rowed straight into the thick of battle. That was pretty awesome.

Also, there was this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xohHiMvEko4

Can't wait for the new Call of Duty 4; hopefully there will be more of that goodness.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »

GRAW's intro for Xbox 360 is pretty memorable for me, 'cause it doesn't work.  Buddy in my helicopter says something, then disappears, and I'm left in a helicopter with the only thing I can do is rotate my camera.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
jaredbloom
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »

Your GRAW (hated that game) post just sparked my memory:

In Dead Rising, the game opens in a helicopter. The helicopter flies over the mall and you get to take pictures of the zombies and catch stuff like explosions with your camera. A great opening to a decent game.
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 11:36:05 PM »

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 02:35:05 AM »

Another World worked a lot better, because your first encounter was escaping a tentacle monster from a swimming pool, then being chased by that beast thing across those bloody cannibal worms (TWICE!), before eventually getting to the first checkpoint. Evil, but exhilarating to complete.

Seen it already. Still stands out as probably my favourite here, so far.

olücæbelel
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »

That reminds me. Smiley

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen started out with your human main character in a tavern, finishing up a drink. You get control right away, and as soon as you leave, assassins attack you. You can try to survive for as long as possible, but eventually they'll kill you...

...then you get raised from the dead as a vampire, your first objective being to murder your would-be assassins.

And that reminds me...

Shadowrun on the SNES starts with you waking up on a slab in the morgue with no idea how you got there.  Such an attention grabbing way to start a story.

Every game should start like this.  It would never get old.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »

'brain burnt. they say some gang geeked him'

best line to start a video game, EVAR

cheers, rey-o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4