Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:46:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGoblin's Quest [Looking for testers]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Goblin's Quest [Looking for testers]  (Read 2008 times)
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »

Overview- GQ is a sidescrolling action platformer. You can run left, right, jump and attack. The controls are very basic and responsive. As you can see in the screenshot the buttons are on-screen and thus it is targeted for iOS and Android. The main influence's spawn from the hours spent on classic gameboy titles as a kid. I recently went back and found myself playing through Zelda: Link's Awakening and loved the short but sweet sidescrolling levels. These levels were obviously not the strong point of the zelda franchise but still left a strong impression of what I though could make a great side scrolling adventure.

Graphics-Obviously I am going with the pixelated look and have had some good results so far. They look great on both my nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy S3. I recently changed the entire color pallet and edited/ re-colored the sprites and tiles.

I started working on the game a few weeks ago and have managed to hammer out a large portion of general game mechanics. I was hoping that by posting my first DevLog I could generate interest, get critical feedback and motivate myself to get more work done and presented to the community in a timely manner. Stay posted!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:39:43 PM by travisofarabia » Logged
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:51:27 AM »

Bats!
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »

Looks great! From the gifs alone I'd say jumping looks a bit weird gravity-wise, but I can't really say anything about that until I've actually played it.
But graphically this looks really nice!

Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »

Looking good, nice graphic style! Soo, what does those two grayed out UI elements do at the top? Wink

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »

Looking good, nice graphic style! Soo, what does those two grayed out UI elements do at the top? Wink

Thanks! They turn to color when selected, you have an throwing axe, boomerang that can go through most objects to reach enemies or switches on the other side and bombs which obviously explode and will have the ability to destroy certain objects.
siskavard
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »

Looks really fun! Subbing
ZASkaggs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Surely it should be "Goblin's Quest" and not "Goblins Quest"? Looks nice!  Smiley

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

Surely it should be "Goblin's Quest" and not "Goblins Quest"? Looks nice!  Smiley
Good catch!
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »

Getting a key and breaking some boxes!

Today I finally spend a good chunk of quality time programming and implementing a bunch of new stuff.

Locked Doors (that open with keys)+sprites
Key and Key icon+sprites
Bug Fix w/ axe not being killed when slowed.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:38:25 PM by travisofarabia » Logged
devi ever
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:04 AM »

I love the graphics and animation.  Reminds me a lot of SNES era "indie" platformers, and the palette is a nice change of pace.
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

Update!
Today I have been working on some HUD changes, I moved the weapon selection buttons to the side so they are easier to access with the left thumb. They also now hang off the screen until clicked, at which point they change to color and come into sight. I finally made the UI for the coin counter as well! Heres a .gif that shows the usage of the new buttons with the mouse simulating the touch controls.

Also I put together a quick image to explain the HUD. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated! And thanks to everyone for taking an interest so far!

DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

Look at all dat progress. This project looks really interesting.

I'm curious about how the player will progress in game. Will there be vertical dungeons, that require, careful navigation and exploration (similar to Zelda II), or will it be more of a point A to point B affair. Also will the player always have the Axe, Boomerang, and Bombs, or will they gain them as they progress.
Sorry for throwing so many questions at you at once  Beer!

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »

Look at all dat progress. This project looks really interesting.

I'm curious about how the player will progress in game. Will there be vertical dungeons, that require, careful navigation and exploration (similar to Zelda II), or will it be more of a point A to point B affair. Also will the player always have the Axe, Boomerang, and Bombs, or will they gain them as they progress.
Sorry for throwing so many questions at you at once  Beer!

No worries!

As of now there will be no life system in the game, that is to say that you will have unlimited lives. After every death you will simply start at the beginning of each level. The plan now is to have a very large number of short levels. The reason behind this is the thought that it is a mobile game and I want people to be able to quickly pick up the game play a few levels on and go about there day without having to spend all there time only getting through portions of a level or not finishing all together. SO to answer your question better the levels will be short with some small amount of exploration but mostly point a to b with some hints of kid icarus style climbs.

Your second question was one that I have been asking myself as well with the thought right now being that the player will earn these weapons as they progress. HOWEVER in thinking of an answer to this question I have re-thought how the weapons will work and am now thinking of something rather different than previously stated.
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

Update!

Its been about 2 weeks since I did any work on the game. I ran into what im calling the "The Last of E3"  slump. Between playing TLOU Hand Any Key, E3 and my real job I have been neglecting the Goblin....or Gob for short Tired.( I forgot to mention Arrested Development S4) Anyways I finally made a bunch of progress over this weekend.

-Replaced the boomerang with a Ghost Axe.
-Replaced the bombs with and Explosive Axe.
-Added a mana system and graphics.
-And one of the bigger updates was adding the weapon select tab right above the left key button for easy access. When clicked it opens to reveal your weapons options.

I've included a new screenshot and a video so you can see everything in action.

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »

Quick update! I have added a few small things..

-Torches
-Mana Coin: They spawn randomly when you destroy wooden crates. Each coin is worth 1 mana refill.
-Re-sprite of an enemy.
-A few bug fixes.

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »

Hey all! I have been working on GQ for a month and half, on and off. I frequently get distracted and loose focus but my main concern now is that I am really the only one who has played it at all up until this point. I am looking for a few mature game developers/designers/programmers/artists to try the game out as I update it so I can get some real time feedback.

I am looking for individuals with...
-Experience working on and finishing projects in stencyl.
-Enjoy platforming games.
-Have a solid understanding of stencyl and its mechanics.
-Can offer insightful information and well thought out ideas and opinions.
-Android devices are a plus but not need as general testing will be done in flash.
-Ability to communicate via email or google chat.

If you are interested PM me with your information Age, Location, Experience and email address as this will be my primary means of communication and updates. Thanks!
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:47:51 AM »

Good Morning!

Update!

I have finally added the "Magic boots"  Wizard. They are equipped the same as weapons but allow the player to move almost 2x as fast as normal. Also I am still looking for some play testers.

Here's an action shot!

Heres the selection tab...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic