Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:51:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Tricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]  (Read 29457 times)
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »

v 0.16-beta uploaded

-- some small fixes to the Steam integration.

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »

Very nice let's play / beta review by SebastianSB aka Keith Ballard.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »

Watching the video, this looks really neat, it looks great in motion. Can I ask why you chose grey as the predominant colour? The screenshots, in comparison to the video, look a bit dull, and I would have thought an abstract puzzle game like this would have been perfect to apply some nice colour schemes to different levels. Is that something you've considered? A mostly grey game might be a bit of a hard sell to customers otherwise. I had to design my abstract puzzler around cats to get interest.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2015, 02:04:28 AM »

Watching the video, this looks really neat, it looks great in motion. Can I ask why you chose grey as the predominant colour? The screenshots, in comparison to the video, look a bit dull, and I would have thought an abstract puzzle game like this would have been perfect to apply some nice colour schemes to different levels. Is that something you've considered? A mostly grey game might be a bit of a hard sell to customers otherwise. I had to design my abstract puzzler around cats to get interest.

Hello fellow abstract puzzle game maker! I had a quick look at The Cat Machine and it looks great. I would like to give it a try! I'm always interested to find out about other abstract puzzlers out there, it seems like a fairly obscure genre these days, on PC anyway, which, if true, would be rather a shame.

I have received a bit of negative feedback about the greyness. But actually this was only in a couple of comments on the Greenlight page and one person at GameCity. In its very early stages, before this devlog started and before the "tricone" objective became central, the game had different coloured cells in. Not sure if I still have any screenshots from that era. But I just was not happy with the aesthetic, and after I tried the grey look I really liked it. I think it looks quite science-y and textbook-y. There's no accounting for taste I suppose. Perhaps I also thought the maths-y academic-y look emphasises the central point of the project which is that it is not a casual game, it is about some pretty hardcore topological reasoning. I also have a principle, which the game adheres to (99% anyway): you can see something in the game if and only if it has a gameplay consequence. So, adding different colours may dilute that principle a little.

I also found that lining up large numbers of different monochrome node types from the game has a rather pleasing effect (to me anyway):

I'm an avid board gamer, of course I play colourful board games which have back-stories and characters etc, but I think I may have been influenced by venerable board-game purist Kris Burm. He makes monochrome abstract 2-player strategy games, with no narratives, colours or characters and small, focused rule sets. This was quite a mainstream approach in the 1970s but then fell badly out of favour in the mid-late 80s and later. So I am following this design aesthetic both in gameplay and presentation terms I guess -- I am putting the abstractness front and centre. Maybe in a marketplace full of colours and cute characters, an aesthetic of hardcore monochrome abstractness can find a small niche?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:31:37 AM by josh_s » Logged

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

I have had a review!

4/5 stars from FictiveTruism at IndieGameReviewer.com

http://indiegamereviewer.com/review-tricone-lab/

"a fantastic, well-balanced puzzle game thanks to its great level design and fun mechanics"

Very happy with this. They didn't like the monochromaticity either but you can't please everyone.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

Now available to buy on Steam Early Access!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392610/

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2016, 03:24:35 AM »

v0.18-beta released on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/triconelab/announcements/detail/807635219745590158
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:31:05 AM by josh_s » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »

Very happy with this. They didn't like the monochromaticity either but you can't please everyone.

Have you considered letting people set their own pallet for the levels they make? Or some kind of pallet unlocking like in Luftrausers?

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with your art direction but if it's something your players are looking for it might be worth considering.
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »

Have you considered letting people set their own pallet for the levels they make? Or some kind of pallet unlocking like in Luftrausers?

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with your art direction but if it's something your players are looking for it might be worth considering.

Yes good idea -- if I go down the multicoloured path I would probably make this configurable in the editor.

Generally, I need to think of ways to encourage more community authoring of levels. The standard maps are taking people 15-30 hours to complete but I think the custom map functionality is one of the major selling points of the game.

Something I've just added is that screenshots and play statistics of approved custom maps get published on the web:
http://www.triconelab.com/index.php/online/custom-level-stats/

As you can see there are only 2 custom maps at present, and hardly anyone is downloading / playing them. Shame because Cyclical in particular has some excellent puzzles.

Other ideas I am thinking about to encourage more custom maps:
  • YouTube tutorial video explaining how to design custom maps, upload them, and submit them for approval.
  • Allow players to download custom maps without logging in (currently you have to create a Tricone Lab Online account before you can download)
  • When the game starts, a message box pops up which gives you a summary of how many custom maps you could download and play
  • Running one or more custom map design competitions
  • Give some free copies of the game to universities who run gamedev courses, so the students can try designing custom maps

Any other ideas?

josh

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:30:56 AM by josh_s » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »

YouTube tutorials certainly wouldn't hurt if you have the time to make them, especially if you make them accessible from in game alongside the map creation tools or something.

Map design competitions seem like a great idea, particularly if you have a designated place for the players to develop a community (Facebook, Reddit, A dedicated forum.)

I expect allowing downloading maps without the TLO account would generally be a good idea. It may just be that people don't feel like creating one more account for something if it only has a minor (perceived) benefit.

I'd avoid any thing you have to click through when the game immediately starts. At this point I tend to associate in game pop-ups with micro-transactions and paid dlc, regardless of actual content. You could maybe show a count of user made maps in an unobtrusive spot on the main menu screen. Or a brief list of stats.

Maybe something like:
# of custom maps
# of players playing custom maps
# of unsolved custom maps
Maybe a featured map if map competitions become a thing.
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »

Tricone Lab final release date on Steam July 27th 2017!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392610/Tricone_Lab/

http://www.triconelab.com

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »

Tricone Lab has a built-in puzzle editor. Not only that but you can share your custom puzzles using a dedicated online service, and of course download and play puzzles made by other players.
The puzzle editor is super easy to use but just to make the process as straightforward as possible I've created this series of 3 tutorial videos demonstrating from start to finish how to create and share puzzles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSmVgwBqGKU

So, hope you enjoy these and I would love to see some new custom puzzles created soon!

Josh S.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:31:43 PM by josh_s » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic