Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:54:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Tricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]  (Read 29468 times)
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »

Some updates...

I've incorporated a set of nice sound effects which sound designer KomradeJack (http://www.jackmenhorn.com) has made! Amazing how much difference it makes to the overall game experience. These will be in the next alpha release.

Adding another small dab of Game Polish, I've redesigned the UI, to fit in with the overall look of the game:

I have also recruited Holobeams, a.k.a. Iain Foxwell (http://soundcloud.com/holobeams) to do some melodic beatless synth vibes for the theme music. Check out his stuff, it's great.

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 05:48:44 AM »

Update:

Had a couple of long train journeys last weekend on which I was able to finish a robust implementation of the anti-catalyst node type mentioned previously. This will make an appearance along with the constructor node type in the next release. So the engine-related work for these two mechanics is out of the way. I now need to polish up their appearance then I can get on to making the puzzles.

The anti-catalyst is exciting (for me anyway) because it is a node which makes its own autonomous topology changes.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »

Sorry TIGsource people for not updating this devlog! I've done a lot of work on tricone lab, just didn't feel there was anything particularly newsworthy until now.

Anyway I now have a total of 42 levels in the game, including 4 for the new anti-catalyst mechanic (M7) and 5 more which combine anti-catalyst and the new constructor mechanic (M8).

There are also 2 new fairly easy levels to help players learn the transporter mechanic. The transporter levels are redistributed across two maps: M5 and M6.

I want players to be able to access different mechanics without necessarily having solved all previous levels. In other words, the game should support non-linear progress as much as possible.

So, I decided to reallocate the levels from M1 and M2 across three maps: M0, M1 and M2. M0 and M1 are basic tutorial levels and must be completed first. M2 contains the harder breaker puzzles, but after M1 is completed a number of levels with other mechanics also open up: M3, M5 and M7. Some limited testing has found that people can go from M1 to M3 or from M1 to M7 without much difficulty.

As I've mentioned previously, I want to provide players with a concise written reference of the mechanics, via the node description feature. Players do not need to refer to this at all throughout the game as all mechanics are revealed via the level design. Many players will not read the description and that's fine. However, I have found some players like to look things up either before solving a level or when they get stuck. Also, someone might return to the game after a break, and not remember the fine details of what they learned.

However, I don't want to include in the description information on mechanics which the player has not yet encountered. For example, catalyst synthesis is inhibited in negative cells, but I don't really want to tell the player this until they have encountered negative cells: it's confusing and spoils the later reveal.

So, in order to support both non-linear progress and gradually revealed descriptions I have decided to use a mechanism called progress keys.

These progress keys allow me to track fairly explicitly what the player has learned about the mechanics.
New progress keys are added as the player solves more levels. The more progress keys a player has, the more detail is available in the node descriptions.

Rather than having a direct relationship between maps (e.g. completing M1 unlocks M2), new maps are unlocked based on what progress keys the player has.

This should also be useful when there are user-generated levels -- players will only download levels which they have learned enough mechanics for.

Here was the overall map-of-maps for v0.002.1 alpha:

For the v0.003 alpha the map-of-maps has changed to become non-linear. But also shown here are some of the progress keys which are gained by completing a map: these are the ones which unlock other maps. In one case, M6, you need multiple keys to unlock the map. As I add maps and levels which combine multiple mechanics, I'll reuse this multiple keys idea.

v0.003 is on the way in the next few days, I just need to finish tying up the node descriptions with the progress keys.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »

When you move to attach a breaker or mover to a wall, when the wall highlights you can see a dot somewhere along the wall. You can't attach to the wall close to the dot, which has led to misclicks sometimes. I suppose this dot is some internal thing that maybe could be hidden from the player?

@Rusk, this is fixed in the next alpha release. There is no visible dot, and you can connect the breaker, or other mover node to where the invisible dot is.

Wish I had done this earlier, it looks much better!

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »

OK so highlights of this alpha are:

11 new puzzles. 2 new mechanics.
Sound effects (for some things anyway).
Better presentation. Fewer bugs!

As before, if you played a previous alpha and don't want to play through old levels again please contact me and I'll give you some magic files.

Here is the full changelog:

• Double click can be used to execute the primary spot action.
  • Transporter catalyst is clearly distinguished from transporter template resource
  • Possible to join mover / constructor line to single dot on bubble cell
  • transporter catalyst description points out ordering mechanic
  • Improve content of node and other descriptions, and these are driven by progress keys
  • single dot on bubble cell is not be visible when border is selectable
  • Removed unnecessary jars and fixed the webstart build accordingly.
  • reorganized map dependencies to introduce key-based map unlocking
  • Added Lead-up levels for transporter
  • Shuffled maps so that there are at most 6 levels per map.
  • Improved UI look and feel (player mode only).
  • Added sound effects framework
  • Fixed NPE bug found by Rusk.
  • Moved to git for version control
  • Added Jack Menhorn to sound effect credits
  • Pause action removed (player mode)
  • Improved repulsion force for inflating level nodes on map
  • undo / redo no longer pauses game (player mode only)
  • Uprevved to latest Jmonkey
  • Map selector indicates the number of completed levels on each unlocked map
  • Player settings: added ability to set sound effect volume and disable sound effects entirely.
  • Added constructor, constructor catalyst and resources
  • Added anti catalyst
  • Tutorials and puzzles for anti catalyst
  • Tutorials and puzzles for constructors
  • smoothed out hardness a bit with a couple of filler levels for anti-catalyst and constructor

I am keen to get feedback on the puzzle difficulty. Also PM me if you have any puzzle ideas which combine the existing mechanics.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »

v0.003.1-alpha released

-- fix (hopefully) to native OpenAL library loading on 64-bit linux.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

Uninstall instructions added to the website.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »

v0.003.2-alpha released

Faster burn times on map links between levels

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 04:28:21 AM »

Cool. I'll check the new version out this weekend. Smiley
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »

I have been trying to install the game in linux. I haven't gotten it to work very well though.

In debian, I had to start it with the full path to the java 6 binary: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-386/jre/bin/javaws to get it to work. The java 7 directory (the default) didn't have a java binary for some reason...

Then, I got an error about "Insufficient graphics capabilities". I guess I need some graphics card driver.

Trying in knoppix instead, I got it to run, but only at 5 fps and pretty unresponsive.
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »

So, I installed java in windows. Rant: It's so nice to have a fresh windows installation, but then you have to add all the adware, bloat and crap like skype, flash, and java. I feel dirty Sad

Anyway, that meant I could try the new version of tricone. Smiley

I liked seeing some new mechanics. Here are some thoughts I wrote down.

It's nice to have sound effects in the game. Popping a bubble is a lot more satisfying. I had imagined more plopping and splashing, but I guess the game is more abstract than it is in my imagination.

Without any music playing the sound effects are very "sharp", but I suppose otherwise they would drown in the music? I definitely think playing sound effects every time you mouse over something is overkill.

Spoiler warning for the rest of this post!

The constructor. I like it, and not just for the puzzle aspect of them. The bubble walls are so iconic and it's just fun to be able to make them yourself. One annoyance though: the way the units float around and distribute themselves, means sometimes you have to draw these very long walls, through some narrow passage, round some unit and back the same narrow way and if you touch the line you are drawing, you have to start over.

The anti-catalyst is cool. I like the way it looks, it looks angry. I don't fully understand how it works though. In a situation like below, when I pop the top bubble the anti-catalyst could grab either the red or blue cone (I think it prefers cones over other resources if it has a choice). If it grabs the blue, I can't finish the level. Is that random or does it follow a priority?

I still think there are too many pop-up windows (objectives when you start a level, maps unlocked, tutorials).

The objective - how about having it be readable all the time, on the actual map, instead of in a separate window? I would like to have all the information viewable at the same time.

On the "load level map" window, how about double click a map in the list to open it?

When you synthesize something, the catalyst and the new unit appear on top of each other making it hard to select the one you want until they float apart. But you often want to use it right away. How about if they immediately were pushed apart a bit?

I would like to see less dragging and more clicking. If you have a unit selected, like a breaker. how about being able to click the destination wall instead of dragging it all the way there? Or if you have to drag it, what purpose does the selection serve?

A misclick situation that occurs sometimes is if you have a breaker attached to a wall. If you drag it to the wrong side of the wall, there is no way to avoid making the wrong move (except making the move and then undo, but having to use undo is like cheating). How about right-click to cancel a move? Or, recalculate the move if I move the cursor to the other side of the wall?
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

Hey Rusk,

Thanks for trying this. I totally missed your post, the forum has stopped emailing me about replies to this thread for some reason.

Thanks for trying on Linux. The game does rely on GLSL 2.0 so if you're not getting graphics hardware acceleration on Linux it's going to fail or run too slowly.

The sound effects are a first attempt to be honest and they could do with softening out a bit. I might add background music, if it doesn't prevent the sound effects giving feedback, we'll have to see what happens.

I may be able to do something about some of the minor annoyances you found. I'll put them on the list. Some things like having the catalyst produce something a bit further away, are easy. Other things, like changing how breaker moves work, are hard.

SPOILER NOW FOLLOWS

[spoiler]The anti-catalysts grab things in a predictable order. Once you learn this order you can use that knowledge to solve the puzzles.[/spoiler]

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »

version 0.003.3-alpha

-- game is now downloadable as a zip, in addition to the JNLP-based install.

See here for instructions

http://www.triconelab.com/index.php/download/install-windows/
http://www.triconelab.com/index.php/download/install-linux/
http://www.triconelab.com/index.php/download/install-macosx/

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »

OK, so I have thought about allowing the dragging of resource lines from resource to catalyst (as opposed to from catalyst to resource), which a few people have mentioned. Logically it does seem the same, and some players mentioned that they wanted to do this because it was like adding ingredients into a recipe.

The reason for disallowing resource lines in this direction is anti-catalysts. If the game allowed players to drag resource lines in this direction, it could be used as a timing / skill trick to prevent anti-catalysts from grabbing the resource. Anti-catalysts can only grab free-floating resources, so if a resource had a line coming out of it, then the anti-catalyst could not grab it.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »

When you synthesize something, the catalyst and the new unit appear on top of each other making it hard to select the one you want until they float apart. But you often want to use it right away. How about if they immediately were pushed apart a bit?

Somebody also spotted this at an IGDA event recently where I was demo-ing the game.
The thing is that you do generally want nodes to slow down as your pointer gets near them and stop when you hover over them. So, as you may have noticed, that's already there. However in the synthesis case you don't want this as they are on top of each other, you want them to move apart so you can select which one to work with next.

I've fixed it for the next release. Synthesis immediately results in the catalyst and product pushing each other apart -- the slowness-near-mouse thing then doesn't apply to either node for 25 game timeticks (just over half a second) afterwards. It actually does improve the ergonomics quite a bit.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »

On the "load level map" window, how about double click a map in the list to open it?
Also fixed for the next version!

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

version 0.04-alpha is available!

highlights are: more levels (47 in total), more music and sfx, and a stats system which keeps track of level difficulty.

Here's the full changelog.

• If a map is completed but no other maps are unlocked, map chooser pops up
  • Fixed "unsaved changes" bug reported by Neil.
  • Double click and enter work on map chooser dialog
  • Map chooser autoselects first incomplete map if there is one.
  • Synthesis: new node moves away quickly from catalyst: helps avoid user node selection confusion
  • Added 5 new puzzles in map M9
  • Game records stats for number of installs, how many people have solved each level and how hard each level was. Stats available on the website or from inside the game.
  • "reset" action on maps pops up yes/no instead of ok/cancel. In the no case, the solved micro levels are retained.
  • Default setting changes: Record Input is false and antialiasing samples is 4
  • During start of game, a constantly changing cell structure is displayed in the background
  • Music on the start screen, by Iain Foxwell
  • Music on the map screens, by Iain Foxwell
  • Music to indicate a level has been solved, by Iain Foxwell
  • Asset loading at the start of the game is handled better.
  • Bunch of new sound effects including on the map screens
  • Added Iain Foxwell and metamorphmuses to credits

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »

version v0.05-alpha released

some security related changes
  • Update Permissions attribute in jar
  • Removed dependency on scripting library bsh
  • Jar signing certificate is no longer expired (but still self-signed, next release will have a certificate signed by a Trusted CA)
Other....
  • Updated wording of some pop-ups

Website now contains some extra info about me and the dev history.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

Couple of minor news items

-- tricone lab is on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/TriconeLab

-- some new videos uploaded:
http://www.triconelab.com/index.php/gallery/video/

B)

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »

Today I wrote a script to autogenerate a big table of all the puzzle levels of tricone lab.

Here are the results:

http://www.triconelab.com/index.php/gallery/screenshots/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic