Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:27:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlackout - Survival, Adventure mixed with Darkness
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blackout - Survival, Adventure mixed with Darkness  (Read 1151 times)
methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:09:32 AM »

Welcome to my DevLog!

My game is top-down adventure survival based on one of Squidi's mechanics .

The main goal is to escape from each level. Each level is in shadow, but you can lit your way with torches. It's the most important thing to survive. In the darkness lurks the demons, who will try to kill you.

"Normally, the creatures in the darkness are unknown. However, they are attracted to blood and have a good sense of smell. If you wander too close to the dimming darkness, there is a possibility that they will leap out and attack (assuming they are there waiting for you). The darker the square, the more danger you are in. Also, the larger the concentration of them there are, the more brave they become. If there are three or four in the darkness, they may be brave enough to work into progressively lighter areas. They may also brave the light for a quick jump between two dark areas." - quote from Squidi

You'll have a limited set of weapons (crossbow, knife, rifle) and you really have to save ammo, because it is hard to find some in a lost tomb Wink I'm not sure if the levels will be random, or pre-created. That's the game in brief, the upcoming features will be decided on the run Smiley

All the graphics are property of Squidi

Current state:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:16:19 PM by methozoid » Logged

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:54:49 AM »

I'd say touch up the name a bit. You don't want people mixing your game up with Dear Esther.
methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:13:39 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, yes, it's very similar to that title, I'm finding a better one. How about Scars? Or In Memoriam? It could not make sense now, but I'll drop the plot in the OP, and then you will understand why I came up with these. By the way, if you have any idea, be sure to post it Smiley

methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »

I just added the player, you can move and place/pickup torches that lightens the path.

Video:

Still a lot to do... I implemented roguelike moving (you jump on tiles) I think it fits more the game. If you think otherwise, tell me Smiley You can only place 6 torches simultaneously, so you have to think where and when you should put a torch. Should the player have a lightning aura? Like a torch in his hands?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:26:29 PM by methozoid » Logged

ZASkaggs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50:44 PM »

Looks functional. This could flesh out into a really strong concept. Keep releasing videos as you progress! They're much more interesting than screenshots.  Smiley

methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »

Thoughts #3:

Today I didn't really had time to make some serious programming, because I had to learn for my final exams. But I was thinking about the gameplay. So if you read through Squidi's mechanics, you know that he talked about classes. I won't use classes instead I will have one character and every X level, you will meet a vendor from who you can buy oil, night vision, arrows, crossbow, and other weapons. You will start with a lighter and some oil. With oil you can light the torches, and even drop some oil on the floor to create a burning line, or flame-wall Tongue You can buy little explosives from the guy, and you can use them to create traps for the demons. Passing levels will not require killing demons, but you gain achievements for it, and some loot. Or even you can heal from their corpse.

You can pick up one torch from the walls, but then you can't use two-handed weapons (crossbow, bow, sword).

Achievements: You will earn traits which increases your skills a bit. Like if you lit 20 torches, the torches will be burning for more 10 seconds, or something like that.

methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »

Update #4:

New video:

-I rewrote the lightning system to a more dev-friendy structure
-Player can light and put out torches on the wall
-Updated editor so you can put torches
-Player has a lighter which he can use for a limited time. He can turn it on or off.

methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »

New video!

-added timers
-player can drop some torch
-torch will be extinguished after X sec
-remade input system, now it's easier to set up controls

TODO:
-enemies (woah, that will need a good AI Sad )
-oils - make torches burn longer (need to relight burnt out torches)
-treasures
-vendors
-traits

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic