Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:03:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject "Facking adventures" - 3D/(quest?)/shooter/adventure/series.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project "Facking adventures" - 3D/(quest?)/shooter/adventure/series.  (Read 3972 times)
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »

Facking adventures

SOME KIND OF DEMO:
Facking adventures - 0.0.1

So, one evening I was so sad, I was looking through the window, it was raining and I thought about my lost cat. I hoped that he would be the cleverest cat in whole world, that he could be hero-cat and if he had been stolen by someone (I thought it could be and evil guy or doctor) he could escape and come back.
But life is so cruel. My cat hadn't come back.
So one night I decided to make/realize/create/materialized/do-something-else a game about some guys and girls and their pets like cats/dogs/snakes/eagles/unicorns/holy-weird-strange-creatures and their adventures in the strange facking world.
I didn't contrive the title for this project, so I called it "Facking adventures"
I make some screenshots of the earliest progress (3 days of making - (1.5 hours per day - 4.5 hours of work):
The first enemies - Bugs. I kill bugs if they bite my finger when I try touch them. It's not necessary to write about this fact of my life.. Blah

Girl with her cat. I think pets can be powerful and use some kind of magic/PSY-attacks.

I like Bruce Lee' movies and the mind-hero-image of CHuck Norris. So in this variant of game you can hithard enemies.

And for this moment that's all. I don't know what can I write here about... some plans for the nearest future or how I could give up and delete this game. But for now I like it and I'm sure someone will like it too Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:54:51 AM by Tom Felshmoon » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:55:57 AM »

Hahaha dude I can't wait to see where this is going! Sorry about your cat though Sad

You've certainly come a long way for 4.5 hours. Please keep at it. This looks really unique.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »

As a fellow who's also waiting for his cat to come back (although technically he would have died of old age by now) I salute you.

Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »

InfiniteStateMachine, so do I.
JLJac, thanks. So, for this moment I'm at the crossroads. I really love Bioshock series, so you can see its influence on my last works (but here I'm like a newbie and a big part of my old games had lost). I just put some screenshots here.
The first and the most hardest project of my game-dveloper-life:

By Alchemist - For Sophia.
It was a project (1 year making and then I gave up) about Alchemist and his revenge to the killers of his daughter.

MINIMAS AMORALIS
This was a little game about so-called Doctor N. and his rebellion against Maestro - ruler of sky city (like Columbia from Bioshock Infinite).

Some arts for this game (by the way this game was made for 3 months):
PSYCHOFORMER - some kind of Big Daddies. Very-very powerful, can throw black holes.

INCORPORIAL SHOOTER - a kind of splicers.

If I find this game, I'll post it in this section.

After a horde of small-shit games was
SUN OF IMMORTALS - Episode 0 - 2 months of work

It was a game about cat called Dale (my lost cat George), his flying evangelion-inspirited-robot, dying sun, artful plans of government, ghosts and minecraft-style-adventures (collect resources).

So, I showed you 3 the most successful projects for me. And now I want ask you, guys:
how do you think, what should I prefer Pixel graphics or Normal Speed-MS Paint-graphics

Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »

So guys, I want to say the truth - the question isn't about graphics.. actually, it's necessary, but now I'm interested in one facking thing. I haven't much time for writing all this post full of screenshots and short informations because I'll have a new cat. It's so cool. Really cool.

I love big games. I really love when I can play for more one hour and the game doesn't end. But I really hate make big games. Actually in my brain I have an "image" or the "body" of this game with comments of neuron-authors like "So, here we can see 80 levels of dungeons full of 3864-types of enemies." "Oh my goddneeesss, it will be so hard and long for making" - I think at that moment, - "Fack it, I'm going to eat something." And I give up and don't start to make anything.

I really like read some webcomics - Sinfest, Nemi and more then all of this shit - HOMESTUCK. I think this is the best way of making something incredible, but it just my opinion. I think this comic is the best example of fusion of "time-used-for-make", "internet-posting", "flash-movies" and "flash games". I like its story, it's so unpredictible and interesting, sometimes it's so geiously simple and nice. You can ask me - hey, Tom, why are you talking about Homestuck, neuron-creators, games' bodies and other weird things? I'm in search of the best way for creating my game.
I like shooters like Doom, Wolf3d, Duke Nukem, I like Bioshock and Serious Sam, I like quests, many of others. I love so many different genres of games and this fact means I like (and I'm going to use) some ways of this-game-on-the-internet-posting, graphics-drawing, music-writing and story-or-romance-showing.

What do you think about it?

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »

I'm currently working on a procedurally-generated RPG dungeon crawler with randomly-generated items, levels, and quests. I chose this route so my game could go on "forever" or until the player decides to quit. From what you said, I really think you want to do something expansive with tons of places to explore, tons of enemies, tons of weapons, and so on. You can do this through procedural generation. You could have the player pick locations off a map that is constantly being updated with new places to explore. You can either make each enemy yourself or write code that combines parts of enemies together to form new enemies. I think you should really buckle down on the gameplay elements and figure out what kind of bioshock, serious sam, doom, questing game you want to do. Combine your favorite gameplay elements. Once you have a solid game, you can focus on the story elements you like from your favorite comics and use them to come up with your own story. Stories can be HUGE time wasters in development so you might want to create the systems to tell the story but not actually write it. Now for the art, I very much like your style, so consider sticking with it or modifying it to the type of game.

Just make sure the game is fun first! Grin

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

Stories can be HUGE time wasters in development
You've made the bull's eye. Yeah, you're right - game have to be fun. I could make a lot of games like MA, SoI, BAFS or small games like Cactus'. But this type of games unfettered of the story (salute, mr Carmack.) And now I understand that I want use the story. So I want make this game some kind of "web-comic", uhh, just call this "web-comic-game". Any ideas?

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »

I dig the old-school FPS vibe, but the outlines around the player weapon, but nothing else on the screen really bugs me. What purpose does it serve?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:49 PM »

Surt, this is 4.5 hours-progress (not 2-3 months or 1 year), so the graphics will be redrew.

Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

Okay, guys, today I was working for 1 hour and I have just a little progress. I put here the earliest demo-version of this facking game. With one level. Test it and if you find bugs write me. It would be cool if you wrote me some ideas.
Facking adventures - 0.0.1

UPDATE

press F4 for fullscreen!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »

waaah this looks very cool and i love the graphical style even at this stage.

ill admit though that the reason i clicked was i thought the title was "fracking adventure" and it was some sort of topical natural gas prospecting game or whatever. which would also be pretty cool.

Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:03 PM »

Jamesprimate, thanks.
So guys, I'll put all demo-versions of this game in the topic. However I think it's not necessary to do this.

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »

Just played the demo. I expected a 8-bit killer sort of deal, but the high speed and low-gravity jumping made this different from any other Gamemaker FPSes I've played. At the moment, there seem to be too many medkits - I didn't feel as though I was at much risk of dying. I'd place a limit on medkits while making it easier to dodge and take cover from enemy fire - maybe slow enemy projectile speed a little bit? I had trouble avoiding damage.

Otherwise, I like the art style. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Stories can be HUGE time wasters in development
You've made the bull's eye. Yeah, you're right - game have to be fun. I could make a lot of games like MA, SoI, BAFS or small games like Cactus'. But this type of games unfettered of the story (salute, mr Carmack.) And now I understand that I want use the story. So I want make this game some kind of "web-comic", uhh, just call this "web-comic-game". Any ideas?

Maybe release the game in short episodes the way that a webcomic releases strips on a schedule? This would address some of your concerns about making big games - you can release a series of short episodes that you can make in a couple of months, but the series as a whole will eventually be of substantial length.

Sort of difficult to make a pure FPS resemble a comic, though - you definitely need dialogue to be central to the experience somehow, and you can't mimic the separation of frames very easily from a first-person perspective. You could just throw comic-like cut-scenes in there, but I think that there are much better ways to tell stories in games than through non-interactive cutscenes.

Sorry to hear about your cat.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

Maybe release the game in short episodes the way that a webcomic releases strips on a schedule? This would address some of your concerns about making big games - you can release a series of short episodes that you can make in a couple of months, but the series as a whole will eventually be of substantial length.

Sort of difficult to make a pure FPS resemble a comic, though - you definitely need dialogue to be central to the experience somehow, and you can't mimic the separation of frames very easily from a first-person perspective. You could just throw comic-like cut-scenes in there, but I think that there are much better ways to tell stories in games than through non-interactive cutscenes.
I thought about it and I found some solutions for this so-called "problem":

1) Episode which contains 3-4 simple levels (HAHA, do I have artful plans?) or big levels with boss-fights(many of variants, billions) with intermissions including comics and other things (time to make - one week or less).

2) One big game. Fack, I hate make big games. But this solution is very good for some kind of the End.

3) Make a website with comics and games only.

4) a Braain-facking solution which means I had to work 29 hours (it's facking impossible) everyday. I don't know what does it mean, but I don't want know.

So, so-called "engine" is ready and I can make some episodes to show you, gentlemen, how it will work.

P.S.: It would be cool, if someone helps me with music

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic