Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:04:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTough Coded: Online. You vs The Game Master. Now on Steam Greenlight!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Tough Coded: Online. You vs The Game Master. Now on Steam Greenlight!  (Read 22408 times)
Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 07:15:13 AM »

Tough Coded: Live + Camille Android at La Plata Game Jam 2013

Tough Coded was presented in La Plata Game Jam, Buenos Aires, Argentina!
These are a few videos of the Live Show!

Enjoy!

Plus, the Tumblr post!
http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/64390490013/tough-coded-live-camille-android-at-la-plata-game

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 06:32:51 AM »

So. The mask. There is a big issue with the game. And that is the fact that whenever I play the live version in a party or in a crowd, most people can't tell there's actually a Videogame DJ executing the game. They think it's automatic, or something... to the beat of the music. They only figure out on some key moments of the game that there's a real human being controlling it... like when I type some shit and insult them live on some RPG like text boxes...

Speaking with good friend and game designer Hernan Saez (creator of NAVE), very early on he spotted this issue. And he told me that there had to be a way of people directly relating what they see up on screen to the videogame DJ... be there a webcam with a P.I.P. thingie showing my face as a DJ or something...

But since that was impossible to code for me, I thought of something else. What if I wear a mask? Like, a Daft Punk mask? And have this design be the EXACT same (or similar) design to the big bad evil final boss IN the game? I thought that was cool, and that would create all the experience all the more interesting, more like... a show.

From now on, people wouln't be playing Tough Coded... they would be challenged by Little Nando... and this was much better as a concept.

So I started sketching out how the mask could look.

I made some early tests on 3D and rendered some very crappy thingies and decided on this design.

Around those days, I spotted on facebook that a friend of mine, Claudia Bonavena, who is teacher in FADU (Buenos Aires Design University) was mentoring a project where students had to design some masks. I asked if I could participate as a mentor too, and possibly hire a student if I saw something I liked. Long story short, I found Ani Palacio's work brilliant, she did a mask that was very very close conceptually and in style to what I was looking for, so we decided to delve on the project together...

These are some random paper mock-ups of the early version of the mask. We're working on the rest as we speak!!

Also, just uploaded a new post up on my Tumblr, regarding working on a Live Experience for Tough Coded in front of an audience of 4000 people! Check it here: http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/64774194684/tough-coded-live-creating-a-live-videogame-experience

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »

I woke up one day and decided that the Tough Coded, Little Nando mask would benefit in having some very cool mini LEDS exploding light whenever the music live explodes. So, I met up with good friend Maximo Balestrini, co-creator and coder for NAVE, who has experience on LEDs and he decided to help out! We're now looking for a way of setting the leds and controlling them with a very easy, stupid switch, hidden in my pants Smiley Eventually we're thinking of arduino and possibly executing the light show on the mask FROM the actual game... which would be much easier... for the videogame DJ, that is.

Ani is working on the mask, and she did this very cool big paper mock-ups. We still need to figure some crap out, but overall it's going in a very coool direction! Smiley

New Tumblr post, up on my blog, here: http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/65063157059/the-mask-an-adventure-on-its-own

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 06:53:12 AM »

I've just updated our Tumblr with some pics on the production of The Mask for the Live Version of Tough Coded... here are a few!! Yu can check the full post up here: http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/65338482721/tough-coded-ok-the-mask-is-not-fitting

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

Here's some new pics on working on the MASK for Tough Coded... both for IndieCade and Trimarchi Smiley
Full tumblr post, here:
http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/65628981453/tough-coded-finessing-the-mask

SIGVADER
Level 0

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »

this is teh whitest thing ive ever seen are there any black people workin on these to make it les white
Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »

Updated new Tumblr on the making of the mask, with LEDS made with Arduino by Maximo Balestrini from Videogamo (NAVE), here! http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/66021903881/tough-coded-getting-closer-to-the-final-mask-design

Also some cool pics Smiley

Here's the youtube with the first arduino tryouts Smiley

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »

Okay, so, news about the MASK made with ARDUINO by Maximo Balestrini from Videogamo for Tough Coded Live. I've uploaded tons of PICS and VINES up my Tumblr, here's the link. http://little-nando.tumblr.com/post/66376309890/tough-coded-the-mask-lets-add-some-storm-to-it-the

Here are the pics! And more on the production process...  Gomez

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »

Okay guys, finally, the official trailer for Tough Coded: Live is up!!
Plus, teaser trailers up on Vimeo and lots of new pics at Tumblr/Facebook. Check!!!  Gomez

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
http://toughcoded.littlenando.com/

New Vimeo Teaser Trailer

New Vimeo Trailer HERE

Lots of Pics at Facebook, here
https://www.facebook.com/toughcoded

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:22 AM »

Progress for the LIVE VERSION of the game has been LOTS. Currently I'm bug testing the game for some -hopefully- upcoming shows during GDC, plus, finessing thingies in the coding plus adding new boss fights, new animation, and mostly new enemy waves...

Also considering doing some bullet-hell sequences.

More stuff to come soon!!

Check this cool fan art by Matias Montenegro!!

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 07:58:02 AM »

Devlog Quickie

- We're re-spriting GEORGE CLOONEY. He's going to be a REAL boss now and shoot off missiles and stuff. Working on this.
- Added a new WAVE of meteors that fall on to you that you -cannot- kill, but that if you shoot them you push them back, to the right side of the screen. It's really fun to push stuff in a shmup.
- I'm looking for contacts and friends going to GDC to showcase the game, if you wanna play the game or do a small private party, wherever, at a hotel or something in GDC San Francisco, let me know to [email protected] Smiley

More to come soon!
 Wizard

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 06:39:27 AM »

News Quickie!
It seems TOUGH CODED is heading to Berlin and Paris during April 2014!!!
 Gomez

If somebody wants to meet, hang out, grab a beer or have a private session of the game, shoot an e-mail to [email protected]

Smiley !!

Chris Pavia
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2014, 07:25:09 AM »

I played this last night. It was amazing. That is all.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »

Played this yesterday at Indievelopment (I played in the second to last game), it was great.

In an earlier post in this thread, you mentioned that it wasn't clear to people that you were fully controlling the game. Unfortunately, just having the mask didn't clear it up enough. To me it was very clear you were the music DJ, and that you were the one who brought the game to Indievelopment as part of your act. However, I was initially under the impression the game was fully automatic. After you started typing stuff (which is awesome, by the way, you should do that more often) and using the cursor to drag players around, it became clear to me that you could at least influence the game, but it wasn't until I read up on your act just now that I realized you were fully controlling the game, spawns and all. (I had been wondering yesterday why the Doge Warning didn't result in a Doge boss fight or something similar, but I guess there are no mechanics for spawning bosses/hidden levels and it's just up to you to do that.)

I also wanted to say that the hidden levels were the best part of the performance. At the end the 'normal' games started to feel a bit like old news as I'd been seeing them for a while at that point. Seeing something uncommon, especially hidden levels, was very exciting all the time, though. I absolutely loved the Flappy Bird level, it was at the same time awesome and hilarious.
Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »

I played this last night. It was amazing. That is all.

YOU ROCK

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »

Hey VDZ!!!
Thanks for playing!
I agree 100% with what you are saying:

1) The game is not perfectly clear, when played LIVE, that is being controlled by a Videogame Jockey/Game Master (myself). The way to get around this is something I'm planning to do in future events, that it will basically be to have a projector/video filming my hands and my keyboard, so that people understand that everything that's happening in the game is being "coded" live. That would make it much much better.

2) The content in the game *does* get old when you play it live. I have been developing the game for too little, say, like 5 months. So I haven't created lots of boss characters/enemies, yet. I'm planning to do much much more. Plus, I'm working on new "hacks" (what I call the Bonus Levels, that is the Super Mario level and the Flappy Bird level). It is difficult to create the game enjoyable as both a SHOW and a GAME experience. When it's being shown to a lot of people at the same time, like the case at Indievelopment, people watching the show (not playing) can grow bored pretty quickly (say, 20 minutes). Unless I create more content. The game has proven to work best on smaller scenarios, like 8bitSF during GDC at San Francisco, or the PocketGamer party at GDC as well, where I had a smaller room and people came in and out of the room just to play, so no one was staying put just "watching", so that content never felt "old" since the audience was continuously renewing itself. But yeah, I should definitely work on more content for it.

Either way, THANKS so much for playing, and I'm very glad you had a nice time playing it!!! More to come soon!!

Smiley

Played this yesterday at Indievelopment (I played in the second to last game), it was great.

In an earlier post in this thread, you mentioned that it wasn't clear to people that you were fully controlling the game. Unfortunately, just having the mask didn't clear it up enough. To me it was very clear you were the music DJ, and that you were the one who brought the game to Indievelopment as part of your act. However, I was initially under the impression the game was fully automatic. After you started typing stuff (which is awesome, by the way, you should do that more often) and using the cursor to drag players around, it became clear to me that you could at least influence the game, but it wasn't until I read up on your act just now that I realized you were fully controlling the game, spawns and all. (I had been wondering yesterday why the Doge Warning didn't result in a Doge boss fight or something similar, but I guess there are no mechanics for spawning bosses/hidden levels and it's just up to you to do that.)

I also wanted to say that the hidden levels were the best part of the performance. At the end the 'normal' games started to feel a bit like old news as I'd been seeing them for a while at that point. Seeing something uncommon, especially hidden levels, was very exciting all the time, though. I absolutely loved the Flappy Bird level, it was at the same time awesome and hilarious.

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2014, 07:59:47 PM »

I've just uploaded new pics from my last Tough Coded gigs at:
- PocketGamer GDC
- 8bitSF party during GDC at DNA Lounge
- AMAZE Berlin

And more to come soon!!

All up here! https://www.facebook.com/toughcoded

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »

New post on the making of Tough Coded up on Tumblr!
Talking about a presentation I did at ExpoEVA, a videogame/computer festival!  Gomez

http://tmblr.co/ZyUgus1HBm1DI

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 05:13:44 AM »

I haven't been updating for a while... but in reality, Tough Coded has been advancing quite a lot in the last few weeks.
The Live show is currently being invited to Chile, USA (Chicago) and France Smiley

And, I'm currently in production of a -new- version. A Tough Coded: ONLINE Version. What I've been calling a "Massively Multiplayer Shmup".

The way you'd play it would be simply to connect to a server, and play Tough Coded, against Little Nando, the Game Master, and, at the same time, be challenged with hundreds of other players, to see who can beat the game master.

We're currently doing some CLOSED BETA tests and you can sign up for them at http://toughcoded.littlenando.com

Here's a gameplay footage of one of the closed LIVE shows we made a few weeks back!!

And here are more pics of Live Shows at Comic Con Buenos Aires Argentina, more to come! Smiley

Little Nando
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »

Hey dudes and dudettes!!
I'm looking for PIXEL ARTIST to work/collaborate (payed gig) on Tough Coded...

If interested, please mail me to [email protected]

LOTS OF LOVE!
 Gomez

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic