Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:18:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsTIGS Competition Idea Poll - Round 2
Poll
Question: Which of these leading competition ideas is your favourite?
Giant Naked Men - 20 (12.9%)
Platformer Extravaganza - 7 (4.5%)
Rejected by Nintendo - 5 (3.2%)
Non-Violent Competition - 13 (8.4%)
Very Short Games - 38 (24.5%)
Remake Super Mario level 1-1 - 8 (5.2%)
Goalless games competition - 18 (11.6%)
Sandbox game competition - 7 (4.5%)
Exploration game compo - 14 (9%)
A self-creating Gameworld - 13 (8.4%)
Steampunk - 10 (6.5%)
Invincibility - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Competition Idea Poll - Round 2  (Read 26500 times)
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »

With nearly 100 votes, and fading interest in the first poll, it's time for round 2 of competition voting. This time you only get one choice. These are the entries that scored more than 20 votes in Round 1.

To recap the ideas, so you don't have to sift through the long thread:

Giant Naked Men
Make a game featuring… giant naked men.

Platformer extravaganza

Rejected by Nintendo
Games rejected by Nintendo in the early days for having too much violent content. Of course these aren’t really such games, you invent your own.

Non-Violent Compo
Games without any violence. Completely abstract games are acceptable, but kind of missing the point.

Very Short Games
Lots of support for this, and much discussion regarding what the time limit should be.
I'd go for "1 Minute Games", but there was also support for 2 or 3 minutes, or even as long as 10 minutes (or as short as 20 seconds).

Remake Super Mario level 1-1

Goalless games competition

Sandbox game competition

Exploration game compo
Absolutely no combat allowed.

A self-creating Gameworld
So the game has an (more or less) open world in which the player can (more or less) freely interact. The world should be expandable with content other players "created" automatically when playing the game.
That sounds weird and complicated but just check Spore:
The players universe can be populated with the creatures and constructions other players created during their own game.
These games wouldn't even need fancy network programming:
The developers could think of alternative ways like:
Exchanging certain codes or files or something like that.
This way the worlds should get even richer and more interesting.
Also: "indirect communication" between players is possible because you could tag the content with the creators name or something like that. I imagine that to be fun.

Steampunk

Invincibility
A game where the player’s character is invincible, yet still challenged. See Wario Land for a great example.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »

rejected by ninteno, steampunk and remake super mario level 1-1 can all go to hell.

also giant naked men
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »

Woo! Go Giant Naked Men!

There's no part of that contest I don't love Kiss

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »

remake super mario level 1-1 can all go to hell.

I don't know.. there could be some very bizarre unique interpretations of that.  Obviously the challenge would not be to clone the level, but to make it again, differently.  Is it enough for it to look the same, or to have the same geometry?  What would this level be like if it was in a first person shooter?  Or a strategy game?  Is it possible to produce the same effect as jumping on a goomba or into a bonus block in another genre?  Does it even make sense to consider the level outside of the context of a jumping platform game - can it be said to be the "same level" if it plays completely differently to the original?  What does it mean for something to be "the same" in a different game?
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:33:30 PM »

What would this level be like if it was in a first person shooter?  Or a strategy game?  Is it possible to produce the same effect as jumping on a goomba or into a bonus block in another genre?  Does it even make sense to consider the level outside of the context of a jumping platform game - can it be said to be the "same level" if it plays completely differently to the original?  What does it mean for something to be "the same" in a different game?

Valid ideas.  Zero interest.  Tongue

It's also the most restrictive of the compo ideas in that it narrows the focus down to a known commercial property.  I'm all for creativity-inducing restriction, but this is like reinterpreting "MMMBop".  There wasn't a lot there to begin with, and you're going to have to use some part of it to relate your work to the original.

I rather like the "self-creating game world" idea, but the name's not too accurate.  The idea is more like incorporating user-generated content or modding.

My vote goes to whatever idea has the power to keep GNM down.  Lips Sealed

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Zaphos
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:19 PM »

This poll would likely have different results if one couldn't view the results so far until it was closed.  Because otherwise people can switch to the favorite that looks viable 'so far', which skews towards the opinions of the early voters.  Effect doesn't matter as much if you're choosing ten themes, but if you can only choose one it's probably significant.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »

Very Short Games is where it's at.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:53:53 AM »

This poll would likely have different results if one couldn't view the results so far until it was closed.  Because otherwise people can switch to the favorite that looks viable 'so far', which skews towards the opinions of the early voters.  Effect doesn't matter as much if you're choosing ten themes, but if you can only choose one it's probably significant.

Seconded.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:10:08 AM »

Go nonviolent!

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »

Exploration, though everything on the list is pretty horrible. Self-creating gameworld has some potential but needs a better description.

tbh, I think self-creating gameworld is the only inspired-feeling idea on the list. Everything else is flat and uninteresting. I just happen to enjoy exploration games and don't think there's enough of them...

Despite it being horrible, I wouldn't be upset if Giant Naked Men won, if only because it would make the whingy 'TIGSource must be respectable!!!' people have to deal with it being itself and not 'respectable'.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 03:44:27 AM »

Yeah, I gotta say that I don't like any of the ideas on that list except for Goalless. Giant Naked Men in particular seems like a terrible idea now I think about it a little more.

EDIT: Bah, forget about that. I was just being close-minded.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:16:18 PM by chutup » Logged

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 05:45:27 AM »

Bah, I like too many of those ideas. Though, I was telling a co-worker about my idea of the GNM competition and she hurt herself laughing. So, I'd be just as happy with that one. But, steampunk fits better with my long range goals of developing my steampunk world, so I had to go with that.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:42:19 AM »

wow a lot of haters if you didnt like these ideas wwhyd you vote for them in the first poll  Lips Sealed
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 10:13:36 AM »

wow a lot of haters if you didnt like these ideas wwhyd you vote for them in the first poll  Lips Sealed

We didn't! Grin

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 12:09:24 PM »

well *someone* did so...  no complaining darnit!
mirosurabu
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »

I voted for "Very short games".

Goalless game. What is that supposed to be?
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

I guess it means there is no victory condition or score - you just play for the fun of it.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »

GNM is not GNP so I shall not vote for it.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »

My vote went to "Very Short Games", because it sounds like something manageable. It'd be fun to make a game that is only supposed to last a minute or so, because then you're trying to cram as much awesome into that minute as possible. This could yield some intriguing results.

I admittedly don't really know the specific rules to this or anything to be completely honest... but if multiple entries from the same person are allowed, this theme would be particularly well-suited for it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:12:41 PM by KirbyPopStar » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 11:14:06 PM »

That's one worry I have about 'Very Short Games' - there would be fuckton of them. Still, they'd be short, at least.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic