Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:19:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsTIGS Competition Idea Poll - Round 2
Poll
Question: Which of these leading competition ideas is your favourite?
Giant Naked Men - 20 (12.9%)
Platformer Extravaganza - 7 (4.5%)
Rejected by Nintendo - 5 (3.2%)
Non-Violent Competition - 13 (8.4%)
Very Short Games - 38 (24.5%)
Remake Super Mario level 1-1 - 8 (5.2%)
Goalless games competition - 18 (11.6%)
Sandbox game competition - 7 (4.5%)
Exploration game compo - 14 (9%)
A self-creating Gameworld - 13 (8.4%)
Steampunk - 10 (6.5%)
Invincibility - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Competition Idea Poll - Round 2  (Read 26437 times)
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 11:22:26 PM »

I suppose, then, I'd be an idealist to hope most people would consider the principal of quality over quantity.  Sad

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 12:12:37 AM »

Well, I think a lot of people would. Enough that you would still have some fun games, even if they were surrounded by a lot of slapped-together rubbish. Which they might not be. There's only one way to find out.

Wishfallen
Level 0

Flat-based!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 03:10:45 AM »

Voted "Very Short Games", was a toss up between that and goalless games for me. Both sound really interesting.

Signature nullified!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »

Very Short Games could also be a two-week competition, for a change.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »

TWO weeks?  Make it a week long.  If anything I'd be worried about too many of these things.  We'd easily get 100, and most of them would be crap.  Making a good game that lasts 1 minute is quite the challenge.  A good challenge yeah, but quite the challenge nonetheless.  We would probably end up with a lot of cult classics though, so that's...entertaining at least.  You know, like You Have to Burn the Rope.

I'd be up for a 1 week Very Short Games compo followed by a month long Goalless Games compo.  Voting wise it's those two people are interested in, so I think going with them would be wise.

Oh, and for those that don't know, Goalless doesn't mean absolutely no small goals built into the game, it just means that the purpose of playing the game isn't to get to the end of it, it's to enjoy the experience.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »

TWO weeks?  Make it a week long.  If anything I'd be worried about too many of these things.  We'd easily get 100, and most of them would be crap.  Making a good game that lasts 1 minute is quite the challenge.  A good challenge yeah, but quite the challenge nonetheless.  We would probably end up with a lot of cult classics though, so that's...entertaining at least.  You know, like You Have to Burn the Rope.

And how will making the competition time even shorter improve the quality of the games? People who really want to enter a crappy KnP thing they slapped together in ten minutes will do so regardless, whether the competition lasts one day or one month. On the other hand, I'd be interested to see how much innovation and polish a talented developer can put into one minute of gameplay, and something like that does take a bit more time.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 12:26:19 PM »

People who really want to enter a crappy KnP thing they slapped together in ten minutes will do so regardless

You say that like it's a bad thing :D

Seriously though, I don't really see why a contest on short games should run for a shorter time than any other contest around here. Short game does not imply short development time. As I'm sure many of you know; in a way, nothing's harder than simplicity.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »

People who really want to enter a crappy KnP thing they slapped together in ten minutes will do so regardless

Seriously though, I don't really see why a contest on short games should run for a shorter time than any other contest around here. Short game does not imply short development time. As I'm sure many of you know; in a way, nothing's harder than simplicity.
No, nothing is harder than well executed simplicity, I'm just worried that a lot of people won't take the compo intent as seriously as they should, and end up making some crazy b-games.  A few b-games is never bad, but I'd be worried about a compo where we had 100 entries with 50 of them being b-games.  Sure, they'd only be one minute, but playing through 50 minutes of b-games would be pretty mind numbing.  And I can say that from experience: a couple years back I went to this movie/thing where they showed 90 minutes of the world's best commercials from the past year.  It was really good (and most of them were not from North America, of course), but man, I don't think the human mind is designed to take in that amount of fragmented information, you really come out in a stupor, even if you enjoyed it like I did.  I think my friends and I spent as much time talking about which ones we liked as we did trying to remember exactly which ones they were.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »

I knew you'd say something to that effect :D
Eh, and I sort of agree that a month-long Short Games competition would be interesting to see. It's just that the current one was originally supposed to be shorter, so perhaps we should do a shorter one sometime.

Architekt, please explain how "longer competition" implies "more crap entries."
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »

I knew you'd say something to that effect :D
Eh, and I sort of agree that a month-long Short Games competition would be interesting to see. It's just that the current one was originally supposed to be shorter, so perhaps we should do a shorter one sometime.

Architekt, please explain how "longer competition" implies "more crap entries."
I'd love to.

So if it's only on for a week, a lot of the non-regulars may in fact miss it.  Second, unless there's a one game per person entrance limit, I expect some people will enter multiple games.  I doubt anyone who takes the compo seriously would do that, but as you can telly by Terry's little comment, there will certainly be TIGers who'll see this as the perfect opportunity for B-Games 2.

So unless Derek is actually going to moderate the submissions (which I don't think he should have to do), then I could see this compo becoming a total farce.  We'd have some good laughs about it afterwards of course, and there would hopefully be 5-10 really good games from it, but overall it would likely be a big joke.

I could totally see a lot of the people who read the blog but don't usually enter our compos trying this one; it sounds a lot easier than it is, especially if you don't take it seriously.

Also, 2 weeks would be fine.  I guess I'm just thinking in terms of GM, which would be quite doable in a week, as opposed to coding from scratch which takes quite a bit longer (I think the difference in development time is especially big when we're talking about 1 minute games).
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

Voted for the quickies!
I'd like participate on the TIGSCs, the quickies seem a good start.=)
increpare
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »

I doubt anyone who takes the compo seriously would do that
What about the houseglobe/Fillauth effort of the last compo?  The main thing going for the 'multiple entries allowed per person' is that a single person can work on several teams, I think.

I could totally see a lot of the people who read the blog but don't usually enter our compos trying this one;
That in and of itself could be really interesting.  Given the increased media coverage of recent competitions, we would probably get a lot of entries.  This could pose some problems with voting getting very messy, however, if the number of entries went into the hundreds WTF

Voted for the quickies!
I'd like participate on the TIGSCs, the quickies seem a good start.=)
Okay, in light of that comment, maybe I can see architekt's point a little better.  However, maybe it's not all bad.  For instance: it would be a challenge that could be tackled at many different levels, appealing in different ways to people with different skill-sets.  (that said, welcome N!  Sorry for using your quote so insensitively Smiley )

I generally don't understand fully why you are so skeptical of the game maker on the street's ability, that we have to actively avoid attracting too many people who might be interested in entering our competitions, polluting them with their awful, unserious games.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »

If clueless manbabies can't enter a game in 'Very Short Games', what CAN they enter it in? I think that kind of competition would be perfect to allow newer people to join in. If you don't want to play manbaby b-games, then just avoid them. I'll be happy to give them a try, especially when it's only going to take a few minutes for each one.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2008, 11:02:09 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, under all other circumstances I'd be quite exited to see more people coming into the fold.  The problem here is volume.  Like you said, hundreds.  Shocked

It's just such an easy compo to enter, and I think the simplicity makes it a much harder compo to do right.  That said, I'm sure some new people would do a fantastic job with that limitation, not just the regulars, but still, there would undoubtedly be a lot of crap to sort through.

And this will likely be my first compo too; even though I'll be taking it very seriously, it's still a very easy compo to enter.

That's what I like about the 1 week limitation, it would naturally cut down on entries, and I do believe that a high quality entry could easily be created in a week (at least in GM or, I'm assuming, MMF).  Please let me know if it really would be that hard to do a 1 week game from scratch, because if so then I'll stop saying that 1 week is a good idea.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »

I think just as a general rule, more dev time = better games.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 12:28:45 AM »

Very Short Games. For this, and in general, I also think more time is a good thing - the quality will skyrocket. Yes, we'll have a lot of slapped together Klik 'n' Plays, and indeed, a lot of games in general. This could be a problem.

I think the important thing to do here would be organisation. Obviously, we'll need all the games in a nice, big Zip/Torrent, but moreso, we'll need an online guide. A big list with a name, a screenshot, and a two sentence description from the author. Maybe a little applet which will list what you're interested in, and will save to a text file when you're done browsing. That way, you can decide what to play first. If you're against playing them all.

Or maybe we could have multiple Zips and stagger the releases? You know, 1-15 on Monday, 16-30 on Wednesday, and so on until we finish. We could have an announcement on the front page for each one. Something to make all the tiny games easier to digest. A long, enjoyable buffet, hopefully without the vomiting of brightly coloured jelly produt all over the floor.

Opinions?
Wishfallen
Level 0

Flat-based!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »

Very Short Games. For this, and in general, I also think more time is a good thing - the quality will skyrocket. Yes, we'll have a lot of slapped together Klik 'n' Plays, and indeed, a lot of games in general. This could be a problem.

I think the important thing to do here would be organisation. Obviously, we'll need all the games in a nice, big Zip/Torrent, but moreso, we'll need an online guide. A big list with a name, a screenshot, and a two sentence description from the author. Maybe a little applet which will list what you're interested in, and will save to a text file when you're done browsing. That way, you can decide what to play first. If you're against playing them all.

Or maybe we could have multiple Zips and stagger the releases? You know, 1-15 on Monday, 16-30 on Wednesday, and so on until we finish. We could have an announcement on the front page for each one. Something to make all the tiny games easier to digest. A long, enjoyable buffet, hopefully without the vomiting of brightly coloured jelly produt all over the floor.

Opinions?

I think that sounds like quite a good idea. I wonder if a warioware-type game would also count as a Very Short Game?

Signature nullified!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 12:59:36 AM »

There is a simple solution:
Allow only one game per forum member.
This way They'll take the time to really work on their game and make it the best they can. Also: less games.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2008, 01:07:46 AM »

I think the one game per member limit is a given.

I like Gainsworthy's idea of a staggered release; seems like it would make it all feel a little less overwhelming.

Whatever ends up getting decided, organization is going to have to play a big role.  It'll be the only way to make this compo manageable.
Zaphos
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 01:09:22 AM »

I think there's a bit too much worry about hypothetical problems, here.  If it becomes a real problem, then we can implement moi's rule and ask people to select their best game, and worry about organizing things ... but until then, I'd rather just have faith in the ability of the people of tigforums to be awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic