Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:50:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInterstellaria. Space sim. LIVE ON STEAM!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Interstellaria. Space sim. LIVE ON STEAM!  (Read 101549 times)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »

following

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »

thanks for following guys!

Today I started added the foundation for randomized crew - one of the most important parts of the space phase for me is to have crewmen that feel unique and special. That way when they die you throw your hands up to the sky and scream "noooooo"

anyways, here's a screen shot:

The body and name of each crewmen is random!

Here's a video showing some of the combinations (there's only a limited pool right now):

In addition, here's some game related icons. What are they for? Who knows at this point!

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »

Looks realy nice Smiley. The game that I'm developing is "similar". You need to explore planets too, but there is no trading or ship simulation.

BTW nice name Adam Quixote! Tongue
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »

Small update for today - I added an FX layer to the platformer part of the game. Right now there is only one effect, but the code is set. All I have to do is call the effect I want and give it a position and it'll do the rest (adding it to the screen, animating, and removing it from the game)

Red effect/got hit effect

Video uploading right now, so it might not be up yet but here's what it looks like in action

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »

Continuing with random crew generation and what not, here is some more UI work on the space phase. Being able to right click stations and players ends up being pretty important now that there are more things to do in general.

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »

Expanded upon the input system with the mouse code wise. Too many problems with mouse clicks on the UI causing the selected crewman to move. This was solved with a simple input manager. Also added interaction between crewmen and "hidden" menu items. So for example if you're not selecting a crewman the option to use or interact isn't there

Here's a video of everything in action:

Tig Blog
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »

Neat.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »

Well this was a bad week. I spent a lot of time working on this awesome dynamic lighting system... but it just wouldn't play nice with my game.  Shadows looked wrong, too many shadows needed. Ugh

So I opted to worked on some more simple "light" and ambiance like shadows and light instead.

For caves the dim effect is pretty heavy. The dim actually is less the more "actors" (players, enemies) on the screen. you can see the light dim as the enemies die.

If you look carefully you can see the tiles underneath the player get brighter. The roof too! I think looking at it here I'm going to have to make it a little more recognizable.

I'm still tweaking everything overall. Between changing the tint the actual tiles that make up the game and adjusting the overlay the effect isn't bad.

Tig Blog
Sc00bz
Level 0

I dream pixels

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »

Posting to follow. This is looking amazing. I'd love to watch you develop it Gentleman
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »

Posting to follow. This is looking amazing. I'd love to watch you develop it Gentleman

I've considered live streaming some dev days but it's kinda scary! People get to see you make obvious bugs and bad code!

Tig Blog
siskavard
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »

This looks right up my alley! Subscrabbin'
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »

Man tough weekend. My efforts into lighting just don't look right. Its coming out too rough. It looks great below, but not so much in my game:

I think it looks great for a top down game, but not so much for a platformer, where I need a little more precision between the shadow and the edges of the sprite its lighting. Potentially it could still work, but I'm not sure how much time I want to sink into a lighting/shadow pet project.

I broke it down a bit more on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/futile/comments/1iqm51/took_a_crack_and_dynamic_shadows_was_really_rough/

edit-
I'm using Unity with Futile for 2d
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:43:07 PM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »

I find shadows like that annoying, even in top-down games.

Actually, it's great in NOX, but that the only good implementation I have ever seen.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:57 AM »

following.

don't get sidestepped into that shady shadow business there please.

more game!
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »

So today I updated the special effects layer to actually do things.

Its going to be productive week (I hope). I got lots of free time this week so I'm going to use it to get a big push of work done. I'd love to get more than a token demo out next weekend.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:30:10 AM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 01:33:01 AM »

SO haven't really had time to update since the weekend. This week was a lot of coding, and not so much showing off. HOWEVER everythings kinda pulled together now. This week? Inventory!!

here is an example of moving the inventory around. Instead of just clicking items you drag it to the status screen which will be expanded later. I never knew it could be sorta complicated:

Here is the player equiping a helmet! I just made a quick "fish bowl" helmet

AND Finally, here is the player with 2 new gun animations. one for two handed weapons, one for one handed weapons:

AAND video showing it all:

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 12:27:16 AM »

Still cha-cha-chugging along. Ugh this stuff takes wayyyyy too long to get going.

Tig Blog
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 12:43:22 AM »

THIS IS THE SHIT!! Also stoked to learn about futile, gonna give it a shot.

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

THIS IS THE SHIT!! Also stoked to learn about futile, gonna give it a shot.

Yeah futile is GREAT if you're savvy with c#

OH, here's a small demo/alpha of the platformer part I've been working on. I'm still holding off on showing the space phase until I have more done!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=87451856629998720215

Tig Blog
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 01:46:56 AM »

I've tested the game! Looks very promising Smiley

Some feedback:
- The first background layer is too bright in my opinion. Maybe if it were darker, the depth sensation would be better.

Hope it helps!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic