Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:39:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Choice - adventure programming game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Choice - adventure programming game  (Read 1382 times)
nddrylliog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

This devlog thing sounds nifty! I'll do one here.

The Choice is the project I ended up taking seriously after it gathered a lot of positive feedback (as opposed to my other games).

Episode 1 is already online, (tig thread) but I'll probably end up making it friendlier and a bit longer.

Here's what the original, free-to-play, web version of Episode 1 looks like:

(continued in next post)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:35:50 PM by nddrylliog » Logged

"Still, isn't that dangerous somehow, trading knowledge between eras?"
"Not as much as you'd like. Why do you think Nazi Germany kicked so much ass in the 40s?"

— The Choice
nddrylliog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »

Now I'm working on polishing Episode 1, fleshing out the plot for Episode 2 and finding good challenges / selecting a set of core gameplay mechanisms.

Here's how the revamped Episode 1 looks now:

It may not seem like a huge improvement on the original release, but it actually serves a higher purpose - provide a framework in which Ep 2's interactions can happen. (Btw: you can drag window around, click to bring it on top, etc. — what looks like a tablet home button blurs the whole screen and brings up a menu, useful to save / reload / etc.)

There are several core actions you have in Episode 2 & 3:
  • Obviously, solve challenges - that may require one or more terminal windows + data visualization windows
  • Check your e-mail
  • Check your bank account
  • Check the news
  • Talk via IM

Solving challenges is already well in place in Episode 1 - except it's too linear and unforgiving. I'm very happy with the transcript idea, but some challenges might require a more graphic kind of feedback, or even to play sound.

The e-mail/bank/news part could be solved elegantly with an in-game browser that has 3 tabs always open. Since the game is based on web technology (node-webkit) it shouldn't be too hard to replicate a basic e-mail interface (read-only), same for a fake bank portal, always logged in, and the news thingy might work a-la Twitter.

E-mail allows you to receive info on missions/jobs you want to do. News is mostly a nice distraction, but also plays a role in the story - who knows, perhaps the jobs you do actually have an impact on the situation..

As for IM, I'm thinking separate window - and I have a system in mind. At first I wanted to see if natural language processing was possible to navigate dialog trees, but honestly that seems way too complicated, and it'll be frustrating for players (the programming puzzles are already challenging in themselves). So instead I'm thinking purely linear dialogues and when it's your turn to type, you can just type gibberish and it'll fill out with the predetermined text! Might sound cheap but I feel like it could be enjoyable to just type away anything, especially after spending hours figuring out a few hard programming jobs.

So, that's the current status. I'm also working on a story trailer with a voice actor, and I'm collaborating with a 2D/3D artist to create characters/settings we'll use in the more.. visual parts of the game (e.g. when you gain access to a webcam in a job.. stuff like this).

See you soon for another update o/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:42:39 PM by nddrylliog » Logged

"Not as much as you'd like. Why do you think Nazi Germany kicked so much ass in the 40s?"

— The Choice
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »

I got a chance to try out your first episode of this and I really liked it. The tone of the automated voice and the bleakness of the color scheme made for a powerful atmosphere with little on the screen. I thought the riddles were very well done, and found the sassy attitude of the computer to be quite entertaining Smiley.

I noticed you said you are looking at voice actors for trailers, does that mean you intend on replacing the automated voice with a puny human's? I rather like the digitized version, there is some spunk to it and it makes the dry humor much more palpable. That being said, I really like the revamped look. The changes make sense and seem to fit the overall environment you set up.

Looking forward to your next update!

Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG
Viewpoint Games, Inc. || Titan: Dawn ||
nddrylliog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:58 AM »

I noticed you said you are looking at voice actors for trailers, does that mean you intend on replacing the automated voice with a puny human's? I rather like the digitized version, there is some spunk to it and it makes the dry humor much more palpable. That being said, I really like the revamped look. The changes make sense and seem to fit the overall environment you set up.

Thanks for the feedback! Although Ep1's look was revamped, the voice stays the same - EEM is not human so no changes here. However, our protagonist is led to interact with many humans, at least in Ep. 2. Along with IM, the protagonist might receive voice messages, or access some audio archives (kinda like the Voxophones in Bioshock Infinite).

As for the trailer, I'm working with Nico Uusitalo (youtube channel) mostly as the voice of the narrator.

I'm a bit conflicted as to what to put in the trailer - right now it sounds/looks more like a movie trailer, e.g. it's really focused on the story. But from all I can read on the internet, people really expect gameplay in the trailer. The problem is that any gameplay from Ep. 1 would be a spoiler - and gameplay from Ep. 2 is unimplemented at that stage. Besides I'm struggling to make the trailer work with interleaved gameplay/story points. So, we'll see how it turns out!

— The Choice
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »

That does sound like a bit of a hurdle. I know with the indie world, we're starting to push back into the story-driven realm, but there are still the beasts we have to deal with on the marketing end. In your particular situation, it's tough to display game play and story for several reasons, most of which you already outlined.

Although, one of the really cool things about the concept is how simple it is in its presentation. You might use that to your advantage in a trailer. I know that's not much to go off of, but at least it seems you are headed in the right direction Smiley

Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG
Viewpoint Games, Inc. || Titan: Dawn ||
nddrylliog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »

Disclaimer: as every update from this DevLog, this post may contain spoilers — although I try to keep them light. Read at your own risk.

Update: today I had a breakthrough on the storyline of The Choice.

One problem I've been having recently is that I had tons of ideas of Episode 2, but Episode 3 was really fuzzy in my mind - well, that problem is solved now.

I'm still hesitant though, because now the whole plot involves two treasons: one at the end of Episode 1, and one at the end of Episode 2. However, those pissed off at the change of universe at the end of Ep. 1 will enjoy Episode 3, I'm sure.

The idea I've had solves several things: first, the thirst for revenge you get when you make it through Episode 1. I don't know about you but I'd gladly kick EEM's (metaphorical) ass. I don't allow a machine to insult me. Second, it allows me to put some of the challenges I had thought up for Episode 2 into Episode 3 instead — they are more complex and require a good knowledge of the game to solve, so it's a natural progression, and the hours/episode ratio is better balanced.

And third, I think this gives me the opportunity to answer the question: is there any point to The Choice? Any lesson at all? I hate moralist games, but clearly TC is not one of them. Yet, I think the end message I want to pass is the following: 1) You can learn to program 2) Programming is powerful 3) With power comes the responsibility to use it for good or for evil.

If I had to choose keywords for all 3 episodes, here's what they would be:

• 1. Victim
  • 2. Mercenary
  • 3. Payback

I've also given a lot of thought about parallel universe, and the interactions between eras (as my signature might hint towards), and I think there is a way to make it work. You don't fuck with the arrow of time lightly, but: my universe my rules. I'll try to have something consistent in order to ensure endless fan arguments over what really happened (like after every good movie), but you can't expect a game to work like reality, right?

— The Choice
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic