Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:58:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLinux Game Jam - Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Linux Game Jam - Discussion  (Read 14011 times)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »

I'm thinking about trying to start this again for this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions? I think its become pretty clear I have 0 experience organizing things...
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »

I'd be up for taking-part.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »

I'm game.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »

Okay, nice to hear! I'm going to delay it just because Saturday is tomorrow, and its already late, but I'll probably make a tumblr page for it tonight. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Its not much, but here's the very, VERY basic tumblr page. If anyone has suggestions for the appearance or is willing to make some banner art, etc., please let me know!

EDIT 2: After careful thought, I'm changing the rules a bit.

Here's the original rules:
There will be a theme.
The first event will last for 72 hours, and later events will be adjusted accordingly.
The event will be reoccuring, like Ludum Dare.
Making your entry open source is not required, but highly recommended.
With the exception of code, previous works may be reused. HOWEVER, you may use previously made code if you release it open source.
Games will be judged by both the community in five categories, fun, creativity, graphics, sound, and overall.
All games will remain the property of the respective teams involved. I know this should be obvious, but I might as well say it.
Games are acceptable for any Linux build, but keep the popular builds in mind (Ubuntu, Mint, and Android, among others).

...and here's the changes:
The theme is now optional.
The event will now last one month.
Teams are now limited to up to 3 members. This is to make sure that all people/teams have a fair shot.
ALL resources that were made before the jam MUST be released for everyone to use. However, the licensing of said resources are up to you, including the source code. Yes, you could in theory place insanely strict licensing on the resources you release, but this is highly discouraged.
Games are accepted for any desktop Linux build. Whether or not Android devices, etc. should be allowed or not is up for debate.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:09:34 PM by Gravity Games » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 02:36:22 PM »

I don't understand this:
The jam will last 31 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes and 53 seconds longer.

And it keeps on increasing. Will it never end?! Waaagh!

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:46 PM »

I don't understand this:
The jam will last 31 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes and 53 seconds longer.

And it keeps on increasing. Will it never end?! Waaagh!

Woops, that's an error in my Javascript. I'll see if I can find the problem.

EDIT: Fixed. It was due to the way I was calculating the end date. I just made it another variable instead and it now works fine. Any suggestions on how submissions should work? I was assuming I would just start a thread here and have people link their games, but I'm not sure if I should try to figure out a more elegant method...

Also, hope everyone has fun! I'll probably be starting my game sometime this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:07:18 PM by Gravity Games » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 01:55:22 AM »

You probably should set a start date (like within a week), and promote the event. Others could help you via twitter. (Actually, twitter could be your main promotional source)

If it's a barely-known jam, I doubt anybody's gonna actually enter. (Besides a few [2? 1?] people from this forum)

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »

You probably should set a start date (like within a week), and promote the event. Others could help you via twitter. (Actually, twitter could be your main promotional source)

If it's a barely-known jam, I doubt anybody's gonna actually enter. (Besides a few [2? 1?] people from this forum)

Okay, I delayed it 'til Friday the 10th. Hopefully we can get more people to know about the jam!
seth_pillsbury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »

I'm interested!

Jumpsmith lets you make a platformer with just a controller http://jumpsmithgame.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic