Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:59:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookZombie Hot Date!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zombie Hot Date!  (Read 6164 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »

Here's the source, as I mentioned, under the BSD license:
http://nil.cjb.net/code/zombiehotdate.zip

As you can see, I ripped various art from the Internet for the sake of being placeholders. Those obviously belong to their respective copyright owners.

As it stands, the code can really only switch out character and background images, follow a script and display it to the screen, and parse a fairly simple script format. See data/scripts for details.

#92 Man’s body dies, but corpse retains life. Stalks about -- tries to conceal odour of decay -- detained somewhere -- hideous climax. [Cool Air]

We are going to take this idea and apply it in the form of a Japanese dating sim.

You are a teenager who is transformed by some means into a zombie, a member of the living dead, but unlike movie zombies, your transformation is not instant and is a much slower process. You must pursue one of your romantic interests, all the while fighting a hunger for brains, repairing your decaying body, and hiding your unnaturally strong 'body odor'. You must resort to occult or shadowy practices to abate these effects, or to obtain gifts to sway the opinions of your romantic targets. Can you manage to snatch the heart of your lover before you accidentally rip it out and eat it?

Nothing to show yet, but the concept is simple, so hopefully we can pull it off!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:42:54 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:50:56 AM »

Sounds really awesome man! I'm wondering how you'll pull this off... Smiley

ACTION-52-51114E85

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »

Hideous climax... ewwwwwwww

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »

...:D

I really want to play this one.

jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 02:36:28 AM »

#92 Man’s body dies, but corpse retains life. Stalks about -- tries to conceal odour of decay -- detained somewhere -- hideous climax. [Cool Air]

We are going to take this idea and apply it in the form of a Japanese dating sim.

You are a teenager who is transformed by some means into a zombie, a member of the living dead, but unlike movie zombies, your transformation is not instant and is a much slower process. You must pursue one of your romantic interests, all the while fighting a hunger for brains, repairing your decaying body, and hiding your unnaturally strong 'body odor'. You must resort to occult or shadowy practices to abate these effects, or to obtain gifts to sway the opinions of your romantic targets. Can you manage to snatch the heart of your lover before you accidentally rip it out and eat it?

Nothing to show yet, but the concept is simple, so hopefully we can pull it off!

Ever watched Night of the Living Dorks? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378417/
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »

I love the concept :D Can't wait to play it!

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 02:54:40 AM »

Sounds ambitious!  Good luck with this.  Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:30:09 AM »

Hey,

I don't figure anyone's really been following this. After some frantic coding in October the project has been dead, and I'm now officially throwing in the towel.

I was not able to recruit an artist and/or writer. I was trying to get people in my own company to help out, but we have been preoccupied with worrying about recent layoffs, and no one seemed interested. I'm terrible with art and not really interested in writing, so unfortunately I didn't feel like making it a one-person project.

I will try and clean up the source code a little and post it, just in case anyone else would want to use it.

I am looking through the topics but I can't think of anything that doesn't require a lot of coding and/or art. Some of the already-finished games have given me inspiration with their simplicity, though, so I might make an 11th-hour entry.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:35:38 AM »

Aw. I was really looking forward to this one Sad

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

I was looking forward to hideous climax  Kiss

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »

I know I never said anything originally, but I was also looking forward to this! Shame Sad

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »

I'd definitely like to see the source and more of the ideas...maybe we could make it a sort of collaborative project. I don't really care about the whole 'competition' thing at this point, but I'd like to see the game completed. Smiley

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »

Ok! I have glanced through my code and it looks like I could clean it up in the space of a half-hour. Hopefully I can find that hour by tomorrow. All I managed to get was a simple interface for having conversations with a single actor, changing the background, and a format for the script that the game follows. It is coded in Python with cocos2d for the graphics.

It will be licensed under the BSD License, which is basically "do whatever you want, so long as you credit me".

I've also got a barebones "design document" that lays out what I was going to aim for with the gameplay.

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »

Cool, I'm definitely interested in taking a look! Gentleman

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »

Posted a link in the OP.

eddietree