Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:28:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNeon Grey (action platformer)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Neon Grey (action platformer)  (Read 15612 times)
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

I'm assuming that the speaking characters will be slightly animated? Looks very neat
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »

Aah, some time passed again.

Here's a small demonstration shot of how the "cutscenes" will work before boss battles:

Some bigger thing is, IndieGames.com published an article about the game:
http://indiegames.com/2014/01/a_bright_spot_in_a_bleak_futur.html#more

I was actually worried a bit it was too early, but then, at least when I'll have a proper trailer, I'll have some more people at FB, to show it.
...also, I have to work even harder to live up to the expectations of that article.  Wink

Replying the questions of the editor made me thinking about how I could add a little replay value and variation to the game. Multiple characters wouldn't work cuz of the storyline, but multiple armors for the main hero maybe. The player could aquire them by taking alternate paths at levels, they would be fairly easy to program, and edit the sprites out of each other, and if you can't switch them (like weapons in other games) just at the beginning of the level, they could be ballanced more (one thing I was so worried about), because stronger armors can have less HP. Also, I can play with range, and every one of them should have a special attack.
Now, it's just an idea, and I'm unsettled yet, but I'd really like to implement it into the game. For this, I made some "concept sprites", and indeed, they're not hard to create from modifieing the base armor:

Tell me, what do you think.

@louisdeb: I kinda undecided about that yet, but I'm actually more into giving them facial expressions then animations. I think it will be one of the things I'll do in the last stages of the game's development.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:21:40 AM by Tazi » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »

Those are pretty cool! Does the bottom guy attack by throwing that weapon?

Slide20xl
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 06:11:49 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but this game is so Sega Genesis. Maybe it's the color palette?

Anyway, looks great. Looking forward to keeping up with this.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

@Tazi Fair enough, it just seemed like the typical thing where they slowly bob up and down.

Also I love how big Heretic's pistol is
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »

Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad you like it!  Smiley
Both bottom armor-versions will have projectile weapons... well, that's what I plan, but I dunno yet how I will be able to ballance out the crossbow yet (left side). The one on the right side will use shurikenish thing as a boomerang, kinda like the boomerang weapon in Power Blade.

Right now I'm working on the remaining moves of the basic armor, here's the semi-finished dive-strike:

I think it should be somewhat slower... and maybe, I'll add some recoil on hit, but I want to avoid it being the main method of attacking enemies, like in Ducktales.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »

nice, the style is really coming together

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »

Oh man, this has such a great grimy 90s technoir look to it.

I agree that the dive-strike needs to have some slow-down when it's hitting an enemy.  My two cents:  There should be some friction feeling as the attack digs in to the enemy, like it should take a bit of time between when the attack hits the enemy and the attack kills the enemy.  (You could even freeze the screen for a few frames)

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 05:33:51 AM »

Just seen this: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38118.0

ouch.  Shocked

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 05:45:08 AM »

Maybe it'd worth messaging him to give him a heads up that you both happen to be going for the same name or something?

I wouldn't worry about it, neon grey suits your game way more than it suits his.
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 05:58:53 AM »

Uhm, like he should consider changing it, or just mentoin it to him that we both have that name picked for our projects?
I'm kinda bad at diplomacy...  Shrug

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 10:48:12 AM »

I would just mention it, keep it all civil. Maybe he'll want to make a decision there, maybe he'll get offensive about it, just play it as it comes and think about what you say before you say it
vonpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

Hey!

Dev behind the other game formally called Neon Grey here.

We worked it out nicely. Tazi got to it first! Plus I had juuusttt named it, so stepping back to find another name is easy at this point. Good thing this was discovered now though!

Also I think the name does suit your game a lot better than mine as Louisdeb pointed out.

Ive been working on my game for a long time now and when I finally chose a name, I didn't search hard enough to find this one too. So back to Untitled Mech Tactics for the moment it is!

Game looks great by the way.

cheers  Toast Right
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »

Well that was quick, well done!  Toast Left
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »

Hey, thank you again, vonpixel!  Smiley

I'd also like to add, that my game was indeed not that easy to find. I mean it's up on IndieDB and a few places, but Google still doesn't really lists it, I have to improve on that in the future.

On the progress of the game: I made some tweaks on the diving attack, now it pushes enemies away (so you won't get hit even if you attack an enemy with more then 1 HP), then you can follow up the air attack, with a normal slash easily, like a combo. Dunno if this will stay like that, but I kinda like how it is now. Smiley
I'm working on the charge attack right now, hopefully I'll be done this weekend. Hopefully.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »

Okay, so I made some progress in the last days.

Basically, you can hold the "up" button, to charge, and then press "attack" to release the energy in a form of a DEVASTATING CROISSANT.

Anotha one:

I literally spent my whole weekend doing this thing. (the ladders) It was not the gfx (obviously), but the coding... Whatever I did, it just doesn't seem to work in a way that I'd like it to work. And it's still not, since the code applies to the ladders the same way for both left and right ladders, but instead they work differently. For some weird reason, the collosion happens with one pixel later with one of them. But I don't care anymore, it works and usable, tho maybe I will revise it later, or something.
(btw, the ladder graphics are just placeholders)

It's one or two moves/motion stuff left to do for the basic armor, and then I'm finally done with it.  Smiley

Oh, btw, at my job, I told my boss in early January that, I gonna leave the company, now I'm still staying for February, but with MUCH better conditions, then I used to work in, in the past 4 years. And I've got a chance, to stay even further... so maybe I will. Maybe this will give me just enough time, combined with some better time management. Wink
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:15:14 AM by Tazi » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

Looks like time well spent, they look good and not clunky.

Congrats on the better work situation!
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »

Hey tazi how's it going? Requesting an update!
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »

Hey tazi how's it going? Requesting an update!
Hey, better late then never, right? Smiley

I just posted a retrospective about 2014's events of FB, you can check it out here:
https://www.facebook.com/neon.grey.the.game/posts/347628795440548

(There are screenshots too.)

I won't promise I'll be a more active poster this year, but the progress on the game will surely continue!

I wish you all a happy new year!  Gentleman

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »

Looking awesome, nice art style and color palette. I'm still not entirely sold on the "scanline" backgrounds, but they might look alright ingame.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic