Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:07:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpacealot - A space adventure and industrial simulator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Spacealot - A space adventure and industrial simulator  (Read 13725 times)
Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2014, 02:38:06 AM »

Finished the conveyor belts and autocrafting unit that lets you enter a crafting pattern and automate a the crafting of a complex object.

The space base in the example above takes raw materials in the form of oilsand, gold ore and silica (all found on asteroids) and spits out microchips at the other end.

Every ship has its own energy management, hence the 6 tritium powered fusion reactors at the bottom.

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »

Added mining droids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siKBnQ8gApg&feature=youtu.be

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »

Video of a mining droid in action...

It doesn't do a very good job...

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2014, 01:30:29 AM »

Version 0.15 released

http://spacealot.blob.core.windows.net/release/Launcher.exe

* A new launcher
* A console
* A lot of other stuff Smiley

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2014, 02:15:11 AM »

Todays updates to the game: (will be available in the 0.16 release coming soon, trying to set up automatic builds when I check in)

* Reactors now explodes when the underlying block is destroyed... This can cause a chain reaction. Think of this when constructing ships.
* Started to rewrite the AI framework. Trying to think about how to make all AI scriptable.
* We now have lasers using raycasting, makes for a much nicer (and more efficient) experience when destroying stuff
* Explosions!!! Or at least the start of it... I need to remake the graphics for that...
* Object tracking by selecting and pressing T (restore using Y)

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2014, 05:22:35 AM »

Tried your demo, and this looks really promising. Especially all the automation stuff. I would prefer, if the crafting recepies could be found in the game

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2014, 03:56:08 AM »

Hi!

Thanks for playing!

The templates for items can be found at http://spacealot.cloudapp.net/crafting - I'm also considering removing the crafting part. Don't know if it really contributes to the game. It's really just ripped off out of Minecraft anyhow. Smiley If I keep it I'll make sure to make the templates available in game.

Not all items can be constructed at the moment, I'm a little bit behind on the game design work there since I've been focusing on performance.

You can add items by using the console however if you want to cheat Smiley

Hit tab and write HELP<enter>

Add units writing

ADD <unitid>

STORAGE
PROCESSOR
ENGINE
REACTOR
MEDIUMLASER
AI
COCKPIT
SHIELDGENERATOR
BEACON
CONVEYORBELT
AUTOCRAFTER
STABILIZER
IRONORE
H3

and theres a couple more I don't remember at the moment Smiley

Any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me!

EDIT: The 0.16 release is also available now. Just start the launcher and it will download automatically.

// Johan
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:11:17 AM by Ankmannen » Logged

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »

Also, the general progress. There will be a 0.17 release later on tonight since I made a lot of improvements to performance. Also a graphic artist and a sound guy has joined the project. Will be fun to see what they can do with the artistic side of the game.

In other news, also working on an automated build environment that builds the game on commits using Visual Studio Online and pushes the update to Azure blob storage so that the launcher automatically picks the new version.

I'm pretty happy with the overall performance and state of the code in general. Now it's time to start adding content!

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »

Version 0.17 available at http://spacealot.blob.core.windows.net/release/Launcher.exe

Release notes

* [OPTIMIZATION] Performance boost
   - Caching effects
   - Debris moved out of physics simulation
* [FEATURE] Force from reactor explosions should affect other objects
* [FEATURE] Ships cannot be created close (read on-top-of) another ship
* [FEATURE] New ships can only be created from STEELBLOCKs
* [FIDDLE] Played around with new Debris speeds and count, better or worse? Who knows?
* [BUG] Fixed laserlines fading to fast when hitting close objects
* [BUG] Cursor hidden by selected resource block
* [BUG] Fixed bug that caused a resource to be picked up numerous times depending on how many lasers involved when destroying it.

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2014, 11:00:27 PM »

Release 0.18

* [FEATURE] Fire and explosions!
* [FEATURE] Delayed explosions and damage to get the sence of a chain reaction

Not much, but it's cool stuff Smiley

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »

First screenshot of the tutorial mode... Still a few weeks away until it'll be playable.

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »

Version 0.19 released, a preview of the tutorial mode.

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2014, 03:27:58 AM »

New tutorial mode as a concept. One module with three steps to learn about Building, zooming and using your "lasers"...

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »

This is going to be a minor rant about singletons...

Ok, we all know this. Singletons are evil. We did I use them, because I tried to cut corners in the beginning of the development process. We all know that the project you're working on will be rewritten. That's not gonna happen, instead they grow, infested with technical debt. But it's not all bad.

Actually, singletons have served me well. I have a concept of a ServiceDesk that provides services/managers to you. This works great for the following services or Managers as I seem to call them.

• Sound
  • Asset management, textures and stuff
  • Console management

Unfortunately, these are the places it doesn't work well.

• Input management (keyboard and mouse - this is were it broke down badly)
  • HUD management
  • Selection management

To understand why it all broke down for me is that I have screens to represent different states of the game. First you enter a splash screen, then it gets replaced by a main menu screen. When you start the game it's really only one other screen and will most probably ever be and that is the game screen. It all worked fine so far.

Until I added an in-game menu screen. When it pops up all input should be directed to that screen. Well, the way I designed it any entity in the game asks for input from a singleton. The entity itself does not have a concept if it is displayed or not. So that means that the game still takes input as if it's active and visible.

I tried to approach this from a couple of different angles, but it all boiled down to providing an Input Manager for each screen that can be turned on or off. This sadly means passing some kind of context along everywhere to resolve the correct Input Manager to use at any given point.

Also the Selection Manager is indirectly affected. It handles the current selection of the mouse.

This will lead to some refactoring/remaking of course. I'll branch the code and fix that during a longer period of time. Hopefully I have someone joining the project to make som graphics.

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »

Added a detonator unit to the game. It can be used to trigger a chain reaction if you add it next to a fusion reactor. Throw in some engines and an AI unit and you've created a missile. Dispatch it towards you enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZEWU29tGSo&feature=youtu.be

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2020, 03:11:52 AM »

Spacealot is alive again! Hopefully, I'll get the page back up as soon as possible.

And for the brave, here's an exe file to execute :D

https://spacealotstorage.blob.core.windows.net/release/win-x64-spacealot-launcher.zip

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2020, 04:11:32 AM »

Whoaa, after almost 6 years! Congrats. Cool I like space settings, so I'll watch your progress. Coffee

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2020, 02:59:45 AM »

Whoaa, after almost 6 years! Congrats. Cool I like space settings, so I'll watch your progress. Coffee

The release of MonoGame for .netcore made me pick it up again. Smiley

Got a new alpha out (alpha-733)

* Fixed mining mode bug

However, since asteroids got waaaay larger, my 6-year old AI seems to be smashing into them instead of gracefully float around them and mine. Well, that's tonights issue to fix.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2020, 04:40:46 AM »

Oh wow, anyone who comes back to a side-project after six years deserves my respect Cheesy

Subbed!
Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »

Oh wow, anyone who comes back to a side-project after six years deserves my respect Cheesy

Subbed!

Well, life got in the way! :D

Got something done today, it's a lot of cleaning up and making the dev experience nicer. 6 more years of development experience, mostly through mob-programming and super agile projects make you think differently.

So I got around to extending the console and created a command that allows you to toggle environment flags within the game. I really need to tidy up a bit when it comes to layout and some graphic resources.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic