Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:33:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCarousel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Carousel  (Read 23733 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »

Can this please be on 3DS or PSM? THANKS

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »

The spritesheet is a png and the outside aa is actually semitransparent. I'm a terrible pixel artist  Cheesy do let me know if it still looks bad.

WELL UH I'm actually writing this in impact.js, so you should be able to just play it in your browser! 3DS sounds really cool though, maybe after initial release we'll try for it????

admittedly I've been lazing off these past few days. I did finish the layout for the school, so more art upcoming. in the meantime, have some tea!

Conker534
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »

Daww its cute.
oh ok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »

to illustrate my point so it doesn't look like i'm throwing words at the air
it's just very unusual to aa outside the sprite itself in a game
unless it's a static piece when you want to blend the character with the bg or something

but in a videogame, the backgrounds constantly change so the color you are using for aa outside the sprite might look weird. for example, if your game has darker backgrounds at some point, like a cave or something

in the picture i pasted you can see the antialiasing pixels stand out a lot against black bg and it just looks plain weird

(btw, i love your art a lot. it looks great. just this detail bugged me)
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »

thanks for the feedback guys! sorry, I wasn't very clear. the aa'd pixels are literally at 50% opacity in the png:

so on a white bg it would look like

and on the darkest color it would look like

it's totally cheating as far as pixel art goes, but it looks okay ingame. I'll have you guys be the judge of that when we get a demo out, haahaha.
but yes thanks for the advice and nice words!

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »

I know of a way to make that one thing happen. Get at me.  Wizard

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »

you talking about 3DS? I'd love to recruit your help on that! once we have something to show first Giggle

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

shh

Conker534
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

Ohhhh Ouren!
 Noir
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 03:43:44 AM »

wowowow thanks so much everyone! : D

rrffh finished the idle and jump animations.

now working on school interior. I'm going to add a garden as well, but for some reason I'm having trouble designing a garden in sidescroller view.

@Plasticware: thanks for the feedback! yeah, it did look pretty plain. how's this look?

@mushroomized: this question has been asked to every gamedev ever.

Adorable artwork! Do you guys have any one to do sound/music? I'd really like to be involved if you need somebody...
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

ouren:  Who, Me? okay

Cathay: we don't have a composer yet! :U
edit: we were thinking the music would be quiet, but happy and catchy, jazz/pop. and flutes, lots of flutes.
edit: although this game will be freeware and I'm a poor college kid, so unless we do a kickstarter we unforunately can't shell out a lot for a composer.

in other news, I really hate stairs!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:37:20 PM by Chis » Logged

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »

-pic,yo!-

I can feel you pain mate  CryHand Metal Right
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 01:10:05 AM »

stair hate buddies  Durr...?

I've almost finished the assets for the garden! Yep I will fix the unevenly spaced fountain, and probably remove the benches from the top area since they're blocked anyway. Benches can be sat upon.

Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »

ouren:  Who, Me? okay

Cathay: we don't have a composer yet! :U we were thinking the music would be quiet/minimal, but catchy. and flutes, lots of flutes.
edit: although this game will be freeware and I'm a poor college kid, so unless we do a kickstarter we unforunately can't shell out a lot for a composer.

Hi,

I've tired to write something along the lines of what you mentioned.

Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/belinska/carousel

P.S Don't worry about 'shelling out' - I'm not writing for an orchestra and I don't live in LA!
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

This looks lovely

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

thank you!  Tongue

unfortunately, sachi has left the project. she's left us with a lot of good ideas though, so I'd like to thank her for everything she's done <3
annnd fortunately, my good friend Cheryl is stepping in! she be working with me on gameplay, design, art, everything I can't do myself, which is everything.

we're no longer going with the afterlife concept, although we're keeping the ghost realm. at the beginning of the game, the world of worlds is in general disarray because of imbalances between them. the player will travel between these worlds, bring lost/misplaced items back to their proper world, and thus make everything balanced again.

we also discussed gameplay, which is a very important discussion to have!

platforming/battle will be the major aspect in the "real" world. the player receives upgrades throughout the game; by the end, the player can jump, double jump, and shield/dash while shielding. as you saw in the screenshots, the player has a magic ring of swords. she can fire swords one-by-one like boomerangs in four directions. she will also have a special attack which is the same thing, except it does more damage and you can tap a key at the right time to do even more damage.

puzzles will be the major aspect in the ghost world. idk if y'alls have seen my other devlog Pandora, but I'm borrowing its concept, which is that platforms are attached to magic cogwheels/machines, and you can operate the machines to manipulate platforms, and therefore make a path between doors.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 02:26:25 AM »

Went camping, so I've been slow on work. finished some boring stuff like saving and the titlescreen and whatnot. but oh my god we've been renovating the first plot and we finally nailed it down and I'm super happy with it! I can't wait to actually work again  Epileptic
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:16:19 AM by Chis » Logged

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »

windows automatic updates can just go STEP ON A LEGO

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »

You monster  My Word!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9