Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:35:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkWANTED - People fo an unntitled fantasy project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WANTED - People fo an unntitled fantasy project  (Read 1118 times)
Nitrosparxx
Level 0

Electro Musician

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »

Um, greetings everyone! My name is Nitrosparxx and I have an idea for a 3D fantasy game! It's untitled at the moment, but the basic premise can be found over here: http://nitrosparxx.tumblr.com/post/53092442563/the-game-idea. As of current, there is no title but that will come within due time.

Gameplay wise, I am hoping for this to be something of a 3D fantasy/rpg/puzzler. You would play as three different characters with their own abilities, you would travel from town to town, looking for some odd jobs here and there, all the while trying to work towards the main objective. There would be dungeons and areas to explore, each with it's own terrain and puzzles. Speaking of which puzzle would resolve around using your three characters to get across obstacles and such.

This is the embarrassing part, but I do not have any sort of program nor the knowledge or artistry to make this. I can however produce music, though applying it to the game would take some learning on my part.

And uh...that's the basic outline! As for work, here's what I think I'll be needing:

Needed people
    • 3D Animator and creator
    • Coding and AI mapping (npc's, enemies, etc.)
    • Enviromental Artists and general artists
    • Script writer (for in-game dialogue and such)

Some "maybe's"
      • 2D Animator (for cutscenes and talk sprites
      • Voice Actors

Also, any ideas about how to improve the game will be warmly welcomed! I'd like to be able to discuss with everyone their opinions on mechanics, settings, events, etc.

Right, well this is my idea! If you have any more questions, the best place to reach me is through my skype: nitrosparxx or on my tumblr: http://nitrosparxx.tumblr.com. You can also PM me too, if that suits your fancy! [/list][/list]

Impmaster
      Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »

I'm a little worried that your game is too hard to make. You want to make an open ended rpg with stealth and side missions? I bet you anything this won't work well. Especially cause you have no skills apart from music (not saying that music is a bad thing, but most projects of this size need at least 2-3 skills for everyone.) If you want to build a game, I suggest making it much more achievable. We get people like you here all the time, and most of the time, they never accept that their game is impossible to make. Think about focusing what the game is actually about. Based on your website, you don't even have much clue about how the game will be played. You have prepared 4 games, full of story. Not trying to be a downer or anything. Just trying to make you understand some of the problems with this game.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
      Nitrosparxx
      Level 0

Electro Musician

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:40:02 PM »

I'm a little worried that your game is too hard to make. You want to make an open ended rpg with stealth and side missions? I bet you anything this won't work well. Especially cause you have no skills apart from music (not saying that music is a bad thing, but most projects of this size need at least 2-3 skills for everyone.) If you want to build a game, I suggest making it much more achievable. We get people like you here all the time, and most of the time, they never accept that their game is impossible to make. Think about focusing what the game is actually about. Based on your website, you don't even have much clue about how the game will be played. You have prepared 4 games, full of story. Not trying to be a downer or anything. Just trying to make you understand some of the problems with this game.

Okay, I see. Is there uh...is there a way I could potentially improve this?

Impmaster
      Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »

First of all, don't only take my word for it. If you feel like you have a great project, go ahead and do it. I'm not instantly a perfect source of information. All I'm asking is that you stay realistic about your project.

First of all, only plan one game at a time. You don't even know if the first game will be good or not.

Secondly, plan the gameplay first. You seem to have a ton of different things that you can do in your game. While this may make a nice game in theory, you probably won't be able to make all of these features. Try focusing your gameplay on one thing. For example, you could have turn based fights, or maybe you could have a really fun stealth part where you dodge huge monsters. Too many features, and you'll fall prey to something called feature creep, where you plan for more than you can make.

Lastly, think about why people will want to join your game. If all you have is an abstract plan, and you don't have any skills apart from music, people will assume that the project will fail. If you bring out a solid plan, and can show that the game will succeed, then people will join you.

Just remember that I'm not the only source of knowledge. Take my advice sparingly. If you just haven't communicated your game well enough, go ahead with it. Just think about if you can actually finish all the features you are promising. Remember, Final Fantasy is around the same complexity as your game. It takes hundreds of people to build a final fantasy. If you want to speed up work, I suggest trying to use RPG maker or Game Maker to help you build your game. It will let you show a prototype to whoever might want to join.

Best of luck, I hope I have been helpful, and have not crushed your dreams. I hate it when I do that.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
      C.D Buckmaster
      Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »

I would recommend you learn to use something like Gamemaker and make some simplistic games, it will  not only give you appreciation for the effort and skill required to make a game of this scale, but it will also help you learn how to make games in general.

You will quickly learn that there is a world of difference between how a game idea appears in your head and how it turns out.

The key word here is simple, the chance of a project failing rises exponentially as the game complexity and scope increase.
      Nitrosparxx
      Level 0

Electro Musician

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

Huh...I guess I did go a bit overboard.

I'll have a re-look at this and try to come up with something better.

Thanks for the advice though! It's nice to know there's help available.

Pages: [1]
      Print
      Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic