Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:54:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookVerge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Verge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]  (Read 113312 times)
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2008, 08:11:39 AM »

I loved this even though the fireballs made everything go bullet time for me... Is there a special ending if spoiler?
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »

I loved this even though the fireballs made everything go bullet time for me... Is there a special ending if spoiler?

spoilerer
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »

great game! the fireballs didnt lag at all for me. snazzy puzzles and art! i like how you garbbled the music in the underworld, nice touch.Beer!

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:04 AM »

Great game!  Beer!

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »

There's a new version with some slight changes.  I noticed that the camera wasn't behaving correctly after hitting a switch (it's supposed to give you some vertical cushion when jumping or falling) so that's fixed now.  Fixed some tiles in some levels, and that's about it.

I'm slowly figuring out the particles in GM, but can't seem to get them to match my fireball effect that I did with instances.
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

Alright, got it. It's very fun! I've sortof given up on the level with the timed blue blocks and all the spikes and the looooonnnggg trek back to the revive block... Just don't have the patience now.

Haven't seen a good game maker game in a while - it doesn't feel lovecraftian, but it's damn good in any case.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »

Haha, well you're not far from the end Stwelin!  I guess I wasn't really thinking lovecraftian (...wait, what does that even mean?) when making it, just about the idea from the book.

I went on the youtubes now. 

Introversity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »

Applauds, I love the soul reaver mechanic, especially when the two worlds meet.

The music is grand, and the graphics and engine work perfectly, although it's not all that Lovecraftian. Tongue

Wasn't sure what was going on in the amazingly easy final level, but I know you were short on time and couldn't add in a boss or anything.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:05 PM »

Applauds, I love the soul reaver mechanic, especially when the two worlds meet.

The music is grand, and the graphics and engine work perfectly, although it's not all that Lovecraftian. Tongue

Wasn't sure what was going on in the amazingly easy final level, but I know you were short on time and couldn't add in a boss or anything.

The very last level is just an easy walk to bring the pace of the game back down for the ending.  It felt a little awkward to me ending on Level 8 and going right to the ending screen.  Plus I had time and room to add the little grave stone things ;p
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »

Great fun!  Even better than Diamond Rider.

The "breaking the surface" mechanic feels great.

DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »

Although I never thought I would enjoy this game as much as I did (having played Bonesaw, I didn't expect such a melancholy atmosphere), I have a gripe with a basic adaptation incoherence: Lovecraft wrote that living was more crushing an ordeal than dying, but your game makes the underworld the only place of true danger and frustration (while also looking more menacing)! Perhaps a dark, gloomy surface and bright, happy colors down under would have been more in line with the source?

Otherwise, what a nice way to put a twist on the concept of player death! And the experience of bouncing from one plane to the other comes as an even greater surprise. You are also a real master of the ''Kirby'' style of action and graphics (if that is your influence?). Apart from this, I have the same comments as pretty much everyone (excellent music, great level design, slowdown with the dragons, mad at dying mid-course...). Oh, and a lack of thematic content, I guess (although your remark on the end pacing is enlightening about your view of dramatic structure).
mirosurabu
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2008, 02:39:41 AM »

Link doesn't work for me. From the YouTube video, it seems like something very interesting.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2008, 05:42:43 AM »

Although I never thought I would enjoy this game as much as I did (having played Bonesaw, I didn't expect such a melancholy atmosphere), I have a gripe with a basic adaptation incoherence: Lovecraft wrote that living was more crushing an ordeal than dying, but your game makes the underworld the only place of true danger and frustration (while also looking more menacing)! Perhaps a dark, gloomy surface and bright, happy colors down under would have been more in line with the source?

Otherwise, what a nice way to put a twist on the concept of player death! And the experience of bouncing from one plane to the other comes as an even greater surprise. You are also a real master of the ''Kirby'' style of action and graphics (if that is your influence?). Apart from this, I have the same comments as pretty much everyone (excellent music, great level design, slowdown with the dragons, mad at dying mid-course...). Oh, and a lack of thematic content, I guess (although your remark on the end pacing is enlightening about your view of dramatic structure).

Whoa nice post.  Lets see if I'm coherent enough right now to respond!  You're right about the whole adaptation of the passage... I really wanted to have more enemies, annoying kinds, in the upper world, but time just wouldn't allow it for the deadline of the competition.  So I did struggle a lot with making life the "true horror" other than those crazy spikey hallways of doom.  I tried to match the jungle theme of life a little bit, and the sort of bleak space of death as nothing but those soul sucker enemies and distorted music.

Kirby is a pretty big influence on my games I suppose, even when I don't set off to make a Kirby-like game when I start something.  Kirby games for some reason just always feel so right to me, and I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I'm aiming for that same feeling!  The squashing animation when the little Verge character lands is definitely reminiscent of Kirby's 1 frame squashes when landing and bumping into walls... (Although I realize the whole squash and stretch thing is a basic principle of animation.)

Thematic content... yeah, usually I'm a fan of games where the game just gets up and goes, and you play and play without much interruption.

Great fun!  Even better than Diamond Rider.

The "breaking the surface" mechanic feels great.

Mmmm GDC is coming up, what sort of diamonds and riding will take place this time?

Link doesn't work for me. From the YouTube video, it seems like something very interesting.

Hm, did you try again?  I was just able to download it fine.
mirosurabu
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »

No, still doesn't work for me.

Kylepulver.com doesn't work at all.

"Server not found"
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

"Server not found"

Works for me too, but here's a mirror of the latest version:

http://infiniteammo.ca/games/verge.zip

Beer!

i stole your car
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2008, 10:08:13 AM »

This was bumped so I guess I can post my comments. The graphics and atmosphere are great, I like them a lot and the gameplay gimmick is very interesting and makes for quite a challenging game. I like that despite there being all these deadly obstacles there is no real death, or if there is REAL DEATH it was never obvious enough that I was able to find it.

I did however get pretty frustrated with the game, enough that I turned it off before I was able to complete it. I will probably go back and try again sometime in the future but doing some of the underworld jumping to single blocks was kind of awkward and I fell off enough times that I rage-quit.

Aside from that though, great work. It's a very well polished game and it looks great.
mirosurabu
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »

"Server not found"

Works for me too, but here's a mirror of the latest version:

http://infiniteammo.ca/games/verge.zip

Beer!

Thanks. This one's working. I'll review it as soon as I get a chance to play it for a longer period of time.
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »

if there is REAL DEATH it was never obvious enough that I was able to find it.
Lol, if you HAD found it I'm pretty sure you would have cursed and cried. THE PAIN.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »

This may be my favorite entry for this competition. The design is simple, but very original, and the presentation is superb. Great job!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2008, 12:21:35 AM »

This managed to keep me away from my paper for (another) twenty minutes. Didn't finish though - got to where Stwelin gave up and followed suit. Really really awesome though. Slows down a bit whenever an enemy shoots fireballs, and especially when ther're four on-screen at once, but yeah, man, real nice.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic