Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:03:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookVerge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Verge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]  (Read 113193 times)
mirosurabu
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2008, 01:57:28 AM »

Played it few times, but didn't complete it. I got stuck in one level and didn't know what to do, but I'm sure I'll give it another go later.

Graphics, music, core mechanic, puzzles.. everything is on it's place. The only little problem I found with it is the slowdown which occurs when enemies shot fireballs, but despite that it's quite playable.

I didn't know what to do in first place, but after level or two I got it.

Good work. Beer! Another favorite. Smiley
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

I think you may have some, um, 'processing leaks'? I don't know how one would say it, but maybe you're processing things that shouldn't be processed any more, because at some point the game started going really slow even though nothing special was happening and I had already killed every enemy. Got so severe that I had to stop playing. Oh well.

Still, I did get pretty far, and I loved it. Smart puzzle mechanic. The underworld really feels menacing, with those life-sucking things, so I found myself always rushing to get to the other side when I was there. Good stuff you have here, congratulations!

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »

Has version 1.3 got a saving feature?

This is possibly the best game of the compo, but I can't finish it all in one sitting.

Also, the slow-down that agj mentioned is a bit of a bummer. Fixy?

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »

I wasn't really aware of any slow down other than the fireball related slowdown.  So you guys are the first to report any sort of mysterious lag coming in late in the game.  There's nothing I do in the game programming wise that would cause this to happen unless Game Maker is just crazy.

There are only 9 levels, with only about 7 of them needing any sort of thinking to play through, so there's no saving.  The average first time play through I've seen from a lot of people is 15 minutes, and one person I know took 40 minutes somehow.  So no, there wont be a saving feature.

I've been trying to figure out particles to replace the fireball instances, but I cant work out a way to make the particles look like the instances version of the particles so far.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2008, 03:45:34 AM »

What are you having difficulty with exactly?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2008, 03:54:35 AM »

What are you having difficulty with exactly?

Uhh.. well I can't describe it any other way than making the particles look like the instances.  The spread, speed, linger time, and other crap.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2008, 04:02:31 AM »

If I have time I'll see if I can wip up something that looks like your fireballs' behaviour in the particle system and send you the source.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2008, 04:04:13 AM »

oh, just noticed that parallax effect.  neato  Smiley

(haven't finished it yet; got irritated at some of the platforming.  spent more than 15 minutes).
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2008, 06:32:11 AM »

awesome game, graphics, music, level design. I got stuck tho (at stage 5 or 6 methinks), maybe come back later. but until then, at least I've got a candidate for the third vote.

two questions, one tech, one gameplay:
- what did you use for the effect between the main layer and the first distance layer (that watery-looking thing indicating the boundary between life and death)?
- are the "secret" moves obligatory to get through the game?

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2008, 07:08:02 AM »

awesome game, graphics, music, level design. I got stuck tho (at stage 5 or 6 methinks), maybe come back later. but until then, at least I've got a candidate for the third vote.

two questions, one tech, one gameplay:
- what did you use for the effect between the main layer and the first distance layer (that watery-looking thing indicating the boundary between life and death)?
- are the "secret" moves obligatory to get through the game?

It's square sprite that has a little bit of texture on it, and its drawn stretched (or squashed) to just seal the gap between the forest and the water line.  It's scale is relative to the distance between the camera and the water line, and then its just multiplied through some numbers to get it exactly right.

The secret moves aren't needed to complete the game, but can be used to speed through some levels.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2008, 11:53:06 PM »

I should strip you of your title for developing such a good game in Game Maker.  WHAT WILL YVES THINK?!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2008, 03:01:32 AM »

It's square sprite that has a little bit of texture on it, and its drawn stretched (or squashed) to just seal the gap between the forest and the water line.  It's scale is relative to the distance between the camera and the water line, and then its just multiplied through some numbers to get it exactly right.

Awesome, thanks!

mirosurabu
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2008, 03:18:15 AM »

Can't believe I didn't notice it's Game Maker game. This makes your work even more awesome. I must try out GM one day.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2008, 04:49:40 AM »

I should strip you of your title for developing such a good game in Game Maker.  WHAT WILL YVES THINK?!

HAHA.... as far as Yves knows, this is Multimedia Fusion.  I sent Verge to a bunch of friends of mine who are MMF developers and they couldnt tell the difference Evil
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »

Love the game. Everything fits together really well.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »

Love the game. Everything fits together really well.

Thanks Grin

VERGE IN THE PRESS.
http://www.novinky.cz/clanek/156793-hrajeme-zdarma-verge-atmosfericka-plosinovka.html
http://www.bytejacker.com/blog/tigsource-commonplace-book-competition-verge
http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/12/weekend_download_66.php

...does anyone know what that first one is saying at all?
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »

Yeah, more or less - I'm from Poland and our language is similar to Czech but I'm not going to translate lest there are some "false friends" - expressions that sound similar but mean something completely different - and I make a fool of myself. :-P

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »

I'm supposed to be learning Czech, so gave it a shot. novinky.cz looks like it's a general news site, not something specifically about games or computers. You're on the same page as camera reviews and a report about mobile phone operators in the Czech republic.

Play for free: Verge - an atmospheric platformer

A completely non-traditional graphical style, excursions into philosophy and an impressive atmosphere - would you believe that an apparently ordinary platformer can offer you all this?

15.12.2008 15:10

At first sight this may look like a bad remake from twenty-five years ago. To tell the truth, the pixellated style can be difficult to understand, but once you get immersed in the game you will stop seeing it as a flaw; on the contrary, it helps to create the fantastic atmosphere.

This is further supported by the gently melancholic, even wistful, music and by occasional reflections from the main character on life and death. Although the game looks like a cute platformer for children, it could quite easily end up sending you into a depression, especially late at night.

And what's more, in terms of gameplay you definitely won't find shooting or any other sort of violence here, but only jumping, solving various logic puzzles and overcoming problems. Verge is precisely the kind of game which you feel you should mark as "for the discerning player". Although it may not be a game for the masses, once it wins you over, it won't let you go.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:24:07 PM by Pishtaco » Logged

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2008, 01:03:34 AM »

Haha... yes, it takes awhile to get over my bad pixels.   Evil
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2008, 02:18:43 AM »

Sad

But I... Liked the pixels. Czech are harsh. Also, depression? Wow. This is rather open to interpretation. It made me all happy and warm inside.

Regardless, bravo! Deserves press.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic