Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:06:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPrecious Stones (college project)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Precious Stones (college project)  (Read 526 times)
sanada00
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »

Play my newest project, Precious Stones!

It is still in development, and the objective here is to make a game alone and publish it. After publishing, I must collect feedbacks from the community. In the game menu you can find a button that will open a short and quick questionnaire. It would be awesome if you could give me your opinion about the game!

I hope you all like the game! All the suggestions and comments will be analyzed when making the next versions!

Thanks to all for playing,
Leonardo Yukihito Sanada

Link 1 (game): http://www.kongregate.com/games/sanada00/precious-stones
Link 2 (questionnaire): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1efClA6LHLO-tAWvDWi6uMDsM3SFh2yHSbmO6JfQqCEw/viewform

EDIT 1: The game is now on Newgrounds! Play it and give your feedback!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619850
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:08:17 AM by sanada00 » Logged
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »

Pretty cool prototype!

Good points:
* I think the instant audio-visual feedback of clicking on a stone makes you definitely want to click more stones.
* Having different shapes AND colors made them very distinct.

Suggestions:
* I had the same "bad stone" (green) get chosen multiple times in a row, which made it less interesting... and I never actually had red chosen, ever.
* I felt the gamespace was too big for the gameplay. It felt like maybe it would be a good match for mobile, since it has simple gameplay and a smaller resolution might be nice to make it feel more crowded without feeling too simplified.
* I wasn't really sure how well I was doing, and in fact didn't notice the timer until it was at 2 seconds. Maybe some kind of positive feedback for combos, or progression mechanic with levels and experience (Level Up!), etc, could make it feel more dynamic?
* I wanted a stronger/bigger/in-my-face penalty when I messed up. Instead, I wasn't even sure that I DID mess up, when I made a mistake.
* Probably obvious and planned already, but you reeeeally need some menu art. The pixelly gems are OK, and the chiptuney music and sounds are OK, but even just changing the black lines to blue could make a big difference?

Good luck! Smiley I hope your professors like it!

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »

Just played a few rounds and it was fun! With a bit more polish this could make a great mobile game - simple touch mechanics, short rounds, charming music/graphics, I'd play it!

I'm not sure if it is a bug, but I noticed that when a new forbidden gem was chosen, it would kind of jump around before picking one, and often would chose one that I had just clicked on. This either led to me clicking on forbidden gems without knowing they were forbidden, or out-right confusion while I waited for it to stick with one gem so I wouldn't accidentally click a forbidden one.

It kind of made an interesting aesthetic where I was frantically trying to click non-forbidden gems before they suddenly became forbidden. You could work with that - since the mechanic is so simple, you could really crank up the craziness and turn it into some kind of Jeff Minter-esque game. Honestly, I'd like to see it go in that direction as that's how the mechanics make me feel.
Jrap
Level 0

Always be the best dressed in the room.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »

Nice work so far, keep it up!

+audio cues are satisfying
+music started early, which I thought effectively built suspense almost. I felt like I was going on an adventure in the loading screen.

-Background and visuals. I know that's probably already on your radar, may I suggest an adorable little wizard who shoots at the gems when you click them? just a silly thing  Durr...?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic