Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:57:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallArc Aether Anomalies
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Arc Aether Anomalies  (Read 10134 times)
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

Download (8.02 MB):
http://www.j-kyle.com/arc/Anomalies_Install_2008-10-31.exe

Features:
  • Shoot things and blow them up!!
  • Grab pickups and get a huge score multiplier!!
  • 3 whole D's of graphics and gameplay!!
  • Online leaderboards what are online!!
  • Xbox 360 gamepad support!!
  • An unsolicited overabundance of exclamation marks!!

Screenies:

For the curious, my high score is currently 18,552,310.  Game on, gentlemen! Gentleman
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:35:08 PM by J. Kyle » Logged

diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »

That was BRILLIANT. Awesome graphics, too. The sound effects could be improved, though? That's all the criticism I can really think of. Quite a fun ride.
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:34:52 PM »

That is some seriously rad visuals. My first attempt sucked, though. Something like 198000.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »

The game itself was boring, but the visuals were very cool.
Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »

Yes ... I want to do something more interesting in the pretty environment.  Also, the level design and gameplay really emphasize the poor fov that's inherent to a first person game; feels claustrophobic and frustrating to play.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:31:27 AM »

I definitely have a crush on graphics like these. Would totally put them up as posters in my room Smiley

Per aspera ad astra
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 08:04:39 AM »

Wow, this game's beautiful! You should really upload a gameplay vid for poor suckers like me who have computers unable to run this game at more than 3 fps  Cry
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

Wow, this game's beautiful! You should really upload a gameplay vid for poor suckers like me who have computers unable to run this game at more than 3 fps  Cry

Oh, thanks for the reminder, I meant to link this in the original post:

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »

If you care for feedback, I think the sound could be a lot better. The sound effects seem way too loud, and not very organic. I think it'd be pretty awesome if it sounded more like you were actually floating around in liquid. The ambient noise is already decent, but very low and it could probably make the game a whole lot more immersive if you polished it (and loudened it up) a bit.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »

I agree, from watching that video it looks like 2010 graphics with 1970 sound effects D:

But I wish we could make games that looked like that in Game Maker.

Erik Svedäng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:40:05 AM »

Really coool!

Latest news about my games: www.eriksvedang.com
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cool effect is... radial blur with red channel shifting away from the center, and film grain. Right?
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cool effect is... radial blur with red channel shifting away from the center, and film grain. Right?

Yep, more or less.  There's also some bloom, which I'm multiplying with a vignette filter to keep the corners of the scene a little darker.  The "radial blur" is my attempt at simulating chromatic aberration, the separation of light as it passes through a lens.  I'm doing this by sampling multiple points outward from the center of the screen and weighting the components of each sample so that red gets shifted the most, green a little less, and blue the least, with some amount of blending throughout so that it's not just three distinct red, green, and blue samples.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:23:53 PM »

this looks pretty cool.
unfortunately it doesnt start on my pc.

Anomalies.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »

Wow the visuals are incredible! I tend to agree with the general assessment of the sounds although they are sufficent,. (if you ever want sounds for another project I would be glad to contribute waves or procedural synth Wink )
The game play is good,. it is almost ambiant,. and re-active to the player,. i.e. if you don't try real hard time just runs out and the game ends,. and if you do well the game goes on and gets progressivly more difficult/hectic.  One thing that I did not like was the spores escaping through the walls, while I keep hitting them.  I did think that the gamespace could have larger as the forward movement looks so good with the particle 'soup'.  Great effort for sure!

Question about how it was made,. did you use your Gaia system and Chaos Core Engine? 

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »

Wow the visuals are incredible! I tend to agree with the general assessment of the sounds although they are sufficent,. (if you ever want sounds for another project I would be glad to contribute waves or procedural synth Wink )
The game play is good,. it is almost ambiant,. and re-active to the player,. i.e. if you don't try real hard time just runs out and the game ends,. and if you do well the game goes on and gets progressivly more difficult/hectic.  One thing that I did not like was the spores escaping through the walls, while I keep hitting them.  I did think that the gamespace could have larger as the forward movement looks so good with the particle 'soup'.  Great effort for sure!

Question about how it was made,. did you use your Gaia system and Chaos Core Engine? 

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Fundamentally, parts of my engine are still partially based on the tech that I wrote in school (the "Chaos Core" engine).  After I graduated, I made a big long list of all the roadblocks that made developing apps in my engine difficult, then I pretty much rewrote the whole thing from scratch, taking these aspects into consideration.  It's way better than it was before, but I'm still not entirely happy with it, so I'll probably do another engine pass before I start working on any new game projects.  Gotta love those infinite-time tasks.   Roll Eyes

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »

im judging this for IGF.
soon.
it better redefine fun as i know it.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

OH SHI-

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »

::Holding breath::

::Holding::

::Holding::

Shocked

WTF

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »

it better redefine fun as i know it.
Sorry to disappoint then.

It'll redefine the possibilities of atmosphere as you know it though, so I guess that counts for something.  (Please make a full game out of this atmosphere...please, it would be incredible!!!)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic