Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:41:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG  (Read 49467 times)
FriendLight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »

That battle transition looks sweet! I also really like the color palette on the combat view - the character sprites contrast nicely against 80's hacker grid.
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »

come a long way man, and looking great! :D

That battle transition looks sweet! I also really like the color palette on the combat view - the character sprites contrast nicely against 80's hacker grid.

Thanks! Means a lot Smiley

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »

The art direction is very impressive.

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:53 AM »

Hey there!

Been working on some new environments over the past week. Sadly I've been a bit ill too, so not got as much done as I'd have liked.

Here is Deck Lord, the electronics and hacking store and den:

And here's Monomart, the local convenience store for all your health/regen needs:

I've been trying to get faster at creating maps, both of these took around one day each.

You might also notice (although maybe not) that I've swapped out the effects stack for Unity's new post processing stack. Specifically the beta of version 2 stack as this fixes an issue I was having where the bloom filter would flash and blink when turned up even a tiny bit.
I also just discovered ambient occlusion, which looks pretty good, give everything just a little more depth. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, as the effect flickers a little when small objects are close together, perhaps this is a small price to pay for a general overall improvement though.

Till next time Smiley

FranCarmona
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »

I never get tired of cyberpunk games. This looks great! Just a question. Probably someone asked before on this thread but, which game engine do you use?
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »

I never get tired of cyberpunk games. This looks great! Just a question. Probably someone asked before on this thread but, which game engine do you use?

Thanks Smiley Jack Move is built in Unity.

RadicalBradical
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »

Hey champs!

Been busy working on getting Jack Move ready to show to people during the Develop conference next week (as well as organising the Games by the Sea party), it's been a super busy couple of weeks of getting the last bits of art in to the demo, fixing bugs and making a new trailer...

Also, I finally got round to updating the first post of this thread Smiley

I LOVE the battle animations -- especially the lightning/thunder spell animation! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing more.  Smiley
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »

Thanks RadicalBradical! :D (Great username there Wink)

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »

This game looks incredibly awesome. Great art direction. I have to ask, how many times did you have to change your art direction before you reached this one?  Cheesy

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2017, 04:15:15 AM »

This game looks incredibly awesome. Great art direction. I have to ask, how many times did you have to change your art direction before you reached this one?  Cheesy

Hey. Thanks! Smiley Code-wise the game has been through a ton of iterations, starting with ImpactJS, XNA and then finally Unity once the 2D stuff came out. The art has reflected those changes too. But since moving to Unity it's only really been through two iterations, the original 2 colour backgrounds that didn't really work (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34307.msg1007983#msg1007983) and then the move to the 3D-forced-perspective look (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34307.msg1111787#msg1111787).

The 3D-forced-perspective look has had a couple of iterations, but only in terms of content. Once I got it working it's pretty much looked the same and I've just incrementally improved my process and lighting techniques etc. For example, rather than using single sprites for objects now, I'll often split them into a front face and a top face, which allows them to be lit better.

You can see how levels are built in this post: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34307.msg1185230#msg1185230
It also links to the Unite talk by Sebastien Dubois about the technique they used on Dungeon of the Endless that I stole/borrowed for Jack Move. Once I saw this I knew it would be perfect for what I had in mind. I think I've managed to expand and improve on it in my own way to make it unique enough Smiley

Hope that explains things Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »

Hey folks,

Last week or so has been all about building more UI! Hooray, everybody's favourite!

My main focus has been on building the shop systems, so you can now buy items, software and hardware. It's mostly done, but needs a bunch more testing to make sure' I've not missed any edge cases as there a ton of different conditions on whether an item is purchasable or not.I still need to tweak some of the text to make things a little more obvious too.

Smiley

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2017, 09:02:13 PM »

This is looking really good!

I know you're already overwhelmed, but the detailed real-world, combined with dynamic lighting, really makes the plain green grid of cyberspace rather lackluster. Adding the car/shipping crate in with the damage flashes was a nice touch, though.

I'll try to keep an eye on this one!

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »

This is looking really good!

I know you're already overwhelmed, but the detailed real-world, combined with dynamic lighting, really makes the plain green grid of cyberspace rather lackluster. Adding the car/shipping crate in with the damage flashes was a nice touch, though.

I'll try to keep an eye on this one!

Thanks!

The battles will actually have proper backgrounds. I've just not been able to get them in game yet. Depending on how it works out, I might have some props in the background too. I need to experiment with that and work out the best way to swap different props in and out, and then see if it actually looks good or not.

Thanks for the feedback though, I'll think of some more ways I can make the battles look a bit more interesting!

Last night I got annoyed by my terrible water tiles, so went an made a quick shader to do a bit of texture warp on the tiles, to save me actually having to animate them by hand. Modifying the Unity standard shader is a right pain, but I eventually got it working. It consists of a simple sin warp and then wrapping the uv values so that they stay inside the tile bounds. It's super simple, but as I only touch shaders about once ever six months I find myself having to relearn everything over again. So this was a nice little challenge for me Smiley

(It's a bit harder to see when it's not better lit)

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »

Hey folks,

Lot's of under the hood fixes over the last week. Making long lists of menu items scroll nicely, making enemies drop money after defeat and fixing an issue with sprite offsets.
That last thing has been something I've been meaning to do since I created my own tile slicing editor. Unity's own tile slicer is a bit of a pain, to give a sprite an offset you have to specify it in values between 0 and 1, which is not ideal, as you have to manually calculate that when dealing with pixel art. So originally I had just not bothered with setting exact offsets in the tile slicer and instead made a quick component that I attached to all the battle characters that would calculate their positions using an offset.

The yellow line at the bottom of the sprite shows the offset.

So, to cut a long story short. Using my own tile slicer that I added the ability to set offsets using pixels, I had to go and reslice all my actors spritesheets and set their offset correctly. As well as removing the offset component from all their prefabs. Not hard work, but certainly boring.

Lastly this week I've been working on a new environment. This one is a bit different though. In the game you will be able o "dive in" to a software construct, so I wanted it to look kinda like the matrix, cyberspacey, circuitry kinda thing. I wasn't sure if what I had in my head was going to work, but I think I'm getting somewhere close to it.

Here's my first attempt at a shader to get that effect. (Also, I learnt how to put stickers on my gifs haha)

The floor looks kinda cool, but I only wanted the sinewavey highlight to appear on the grid in the background. The floor is just a grid and then transparent pixels.

I wanted something more like this...

The problem here is that the rest of the background has been cutout. After lots of banging my head I consulted a friend (Tom @ Big Robot) about how they would approach it, he suggested using multiple textures and other things that were a bit tricky for me to do easily.
Unity works with sprites in a bit of an odd way, if you're set up like me (well not odd, but a bit of a hassle). If you use the standard shader to render your sprites, and you use multiple textures, the second texture needs to match the tiles of the first. So I would have to have another tilemap that would overlay on to my existing one. The pipeline for creating this would be a pain, so I wanted to do this all in-shader.
So Tom suggested that as my construct world would be all green, I could use another colour channel to denote where I wanted the effect to occur. This worked great!

I need to work on the textures and the blend of how much effect to show, but I'm happy for this first experiment.

Lastly, I've been working on hooking up some reworked maps in to the game. Here's the new hideout. There was a lot of wasted space in the original, I wanted to make it feel smaller and more cluttered.

Going to the EGX show in Birmingham, UK on thursday to show a build to some folks there, so will be preparing for that most of the week Smiley

ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2017, 04:55:54 AM »

Hey looking forward to see this progress. I miss the 80's... I had a lot more hair back then.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2017, 05:41:06 AM »

Finally! Been waiting for your update for sooo long...
So happy your game is moving forward!
This moment for me is like a ray of awesome sunshine between the shit clouds that are indie games.
Good luck!

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2017, 06:15:55 AM »

Finally! Been waiting for your update for sooo long...
So happy your game is moving forward!
This moment for me is like a ray of awesome sunshine between the shit clouds that are indie games.
Good luck!

Haha, thanks, means a lot! I'll try and update at least once a week, it's hard when there's not a lot to show though, I'm not sure if updates about fixing bugs are that exciting :s

Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2017, 10:38:01 PM »

./execute.py instructions={follow thread}

((Loving the visuals and direction! I like how the gameplay reminds of Golden Sun weirdly, save it's cyberpunk but hey, it's looking sharp Smiley )

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »

./execute.py instructions={follow thread}

((Loving the visuals and direction! I like how the gameplay reminds of Golden Sun weirdly, save it's cyberpunk but hey, it's looking sharp Smiley )

Haha, thanks!! Yes, Golden Sun is one of my favourite jrpg's. It's been a while since I played it properly, but I've fired it up a few times to check out bits of battle design etc. I love the pseudo 3d look the battles have, kinda what I was going for in the first gif here https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34307.msg1348560#msg1348560

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

Just seeing this game again after awhile. I feel like the environments have come a long way, I still remember in the beginning they seemed a bit flat and now I really get a sense of depth, texture, and lighting with them.  Toast Right

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic